What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 2 1 v Cowgirls

Rich102

Staff member

Micistm

Bench
Mannering- Matulino- Inu

Well done to Inu, lifted from last week. We got the win, that's the main thing. They'll need a serious other gear for next week though. Great to see the Huntly Hurricane get a try to see him off (if we aren't back in the finals at home).

hitman82

Bench
Interestingly, Johnson took more of a play-making role last night. He seemed to catch and pass or kick more often - leading to 2 try assists - running less and playing a more dominant tactical role than Maloney who was our "running half" instead.

Lillyman, Mateo, Maloney, Inu were all fantastic as well.
Mateo is our best second rower by a long stretch this season - what a fantastic buy he's been. Huge metres every week, leads the comp in offloads and defensively is solid enough to not be a liability.
Mannering had a solid all-round game too with decent metres, a try assist and good tackle count.

hitman82

Bench
Oh and I must say I loved it when Packer raged out for a few minutes there, pushing aggressively in the scrum, flying in with malice to a few tackles and running like a demon. Someone must have made him angry haha.

TheDMC

Bench
Tough one - consistent effort across the board/

3- Mannering
2- Inu > compared to St George game, he had a blinder...
3- Hohaia > apart from his try and pretty good service, he made 30 tackles, none missed in 45 mins game time

Good sign that our defense gave away the least amount of points in Round 26...(though we seemed to have quite a bit of luck this game)

ozbash

Referee
Mateo is our best second rower by a long stretch this season

huuuuuuge exageration HM, can understand you still riding a high after Ukuma's performance, but I feel its my duty to keep your feet on the turf...

deep breaths mate, deep breaths :cool:

hitman82

Bench
^ who else would challenge him?
Mannering had a terrible start to the season and also played in the centres for a while; Brown had an amazing start to the season but faded in the centres and moved to Vulcans; Luck has been great but doesn't provide anywhere near what Mateo does; Ukuma would have sealed it up if Cleary played him more often; Taylor is solid but not a game breaker...
*drum roll* ... Mateo owns all!

Meth

Staff member
I'd agree with Hitman on the basis that Mannering played so much of the year in the centres and Mateo has been great for us really.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Mateo has been our best. Mannering too many games in the centres but since he's been back in the 2nd row has proven how good he is. Either way too very good players to have on each side of the field.

I'd rate Mannering as our best second rower this year. Mateo was pretty average at the start ov the year also, only he was actually playing in the second row.

Meth

Staff member
I'd rate Mannering as our best second rower this year. Mateo was pretty average at the start ov the year also, only he was actually playing in the second row.

I was a big critic of Mateo, but in retrospect he has been a really good signing to the team. At the beginning of the year, he was somewhat out of synch with the rest of the team's play because we had got into the habit of playing some very stale football. Mateo may have pushed a few too many offloads at the start of the season, but it was just as much about the rest of the team's lack of responsiveness to instinctive, creative football than Mateo's rushes of blood to the head.

But if you want to call Mannering our best second-rower this season, I'm fine with that. I think he has had a very, very good season.

devoid

Juniors
I thought Mateo was great at the start of the year - when we were travelling terribly to start, only Feleti and Jerome played with intent. IMO, it just took the team a little bit to catch up to him. Mannering is always good. Every week he amazes me with what he does out there.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Mateo adds a completely different dimension to our forward pack. The thing you don't always notice is that he usually makes very good metres. Not sure what he averages but I'd say it would be up around 110-120 in his games in the second row which is is pretty good since he doesn't always get huge minutes. Add in his offloads, line break assists and try assists and he has a good season.

Meth

Staff member
Mateo adds a completely different dimension to our forward pack.

Exactly

We spent all of last season complaining about the conformity to the second-rower mould of risk-free toil. Mateo is exactly what we needed

hitman82

Bench
Just out of interest:

Mateo - Mannering
>Both played all 24 games>All averages unless noted

Minutes

63 - 78
Runs
14 - 10
Metres
118 - 81
Line Breaks (total)
10 - 4
Line Break Assists (total)
11 (13th in NRL) couldn't find Mannering's
Tackle Breaks (total)
86 - 30
Offloads
3 - 1
Errors
1.2 - .6
Tries (total)
3 - 5
Tackles
20 - 30
Missed Tackles
3 - 2

also... who the hell is Viliama Lolohea??

Last edited:

Latest posts