What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

-3 -2 -1 v Raiders

Micistm

Bench
Well Eddie, I've said for a few weeks I want to reserve judgement...and I'll stick to that a bit longer...it is getting harder and harder to disagree, I concede.
It was mentioned at H/T, as Bluey was talking to them, none were looking at him, or each other. Just down. That is a worry.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The chip and chase in our own half?

But I do agree he is one of only a couple players that offers too much on attack.

Well yeah, that was a shocker- although that was such a bad set of 6 that even a long kick would've probably only gained us about 10 extra metres.

I think we've got enough dangerous players to win games. Even today I felt like we made inroads and had strong runners. Obviously the defence is hopeless, but on attack I can't quite put my finger on the problem, but I'm leaning towards it being more an issue with the centres and wingers than the halves. Ropati and Henry are cumbersome, Tupou is really ordinary and tbh is lucky to escape criticism, and Manu is Manu.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
My daughter - quote "tries her ass off" un-quote - in her kindergarten sack races and I love her and respect her effort but I don't want her in The Warriors side, after that said effort, either, see where I am going.

exactly

Friend looks like an old man plodding around out there

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Well yeah, that was a shocker- although that was such a bad set of 6 that even a long kick would've probably only gained us about 10 extra metres.

I think we've got enough dangerous players to win games. Even today I felt like we made inroads and had strong runners. Obviously the defence is hopeless, but on attack I can't quite put my finger on the problem, but I'm leaning towards it being more an issue with the centres and wingers than the halves. Ropati and Henry are cumbersome, Tupou is really ordinary and tbh is lucky to escape criticism, and Manu is Manu.

Agree completley that our outside backs offer absolutley nothing. I heard we have a pretty skillful attacking player who could slot in at centre or on the wing.

No point scoring anybody for anything, we lost who cares now.

Man, they miss Cleary BADLY...I don't know what it is but they just can't take Bluey seriously, whether that is the way he is communicating with them I don't know but the coach(ing staff) and players just aren't on the same wavelength and that is really a big worry going forth.

Micistm

Bench
My daughter - quote "tries her ass off" un-quote - in her kindergarten sack races and I love her and respect her effort but I don't want her in The Warriors side, after that said effort, either, see where I am going.

Well said. And get some jerseys made up, we'll cheer her on instead!

It will be interesting how much fight they show next week-because they are going to be brutalised in the press/on talkback next week. Fair enough too of course, there's no excuse for that perfomance

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Apparently we also have the hardest running young centre in the game....

How lol worthy is it that the boom unders 20's CENTRE from last season is playing Vulcans and the average under 20's SECOND ROWER is lock in at starting centre for the FG side.

Benek

Juniors
How lol worthy is it that the boom unders 20's CENTRE from last season is playing Vulcans and the average under 20's SECOND ROWER is lock in at starting centre for the FG side.

So true.

Hurrell must be even shitter at defense than we can imagine because Henry is crap and he still get's picked over and over. Or maybe it's just the fact that he can't play 80 minutes and we don't want waste an interchange on a centre (we know Bluey is bad enough at interchanges already).

The Warriors have been lacking in centres for years. How have we not managed to sign or develop even one good one (save Hurrell, once he's a bit more ready for first grade)? Should this have been one of our first holes to fill in the last few offseason signings?

Auckland4ever

Juniors

In addition to this, I think we're simply not focusing enough on having our fowards going forward. There's so much telegraphed, lateral second phase play in our attack. I've got no doubt our attack would flow much better with a bit more time & space off the back of consistent metres up the middle. IMO Johnson is having to take more on his shoulders than he should have to at this stage of his career largely because of this.

I get the criticism of certain players & selections, but to me the biggest concern is that we keep getting off to these same poor starts week after week, but there hasn't been a discernible change to our gameplan whatsoever. Time for "Plan B", Bluey (though I'm sure some in here that would argue that there hasn't been a "Plan A", yet).

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
havnt seen the game yet, but heard JRo was pretty good.

get back later..

There's one part you'll particularly enjoy oz. J-Ro drops the ball with the Warriors hot on the attack. Ferguson runs 80 metres but Manu puts in a huge effort and runs him down. The Warriors defend desperately and eventually force an error and the ball ends up in J-Ros hands. He then proceeds to knock-on again while playing the ball on zero tackle. A real special couple of plays there from the great man.

Izz

Bench
There's one part you'll particularly enjoy oz. J-Ro drops the ball with the Warriors hot on the attack. Ferguson runs 80 metres but Manu puts in a huge effort and runs him down. The Warriors defend desperately and eventually force an error and the ball ends up in J-Ros hands. He then proceeds to knock-on again while playing the ball on zero tackle. A real special couple of plays there from the great man.
He was amongst the Raiders' best!

blain

Juniors
Ropati was terrible... Every time he touched the ball I flinched. Rushed out of the line a few times, let in at least one try, dropped the ball 4 times, was sluggish in the play the ball.

Hurrell in for sure.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I said this in the game thread but there was also a try that Manu got blamed for where I reckon Ropati was primarily culpable. Manu came out of the line and missed the tackle on Berrigan, but he slowed the attack down. This set up a simple 2 on 2 situation where Jerome made a Manu-esque inexplicable decision to come in off his man.

Iafeta

Referee
Johnson created both of our tries and made several other opportunities and linebreaks/half breaks. I also don't recall any terrible touches or kicks from him. I know there's a more subtle dimension to the 7 role which perhaps he isn't performing but I don't see how he was demonstrably poor today. We all know he can't tackle.

Agreed. There were way bigger problems than Johnson today. I wonder whether they've even practised wrestling at all this year. They're getting destroyed in the ruck. Hard to be a half off the back of that.