What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 vs Manly

BLM01

First Grade
At the game at ground level under the western stands and I thought
In attack Periera, Frizz were awesome with their charges although Periera had a bad night with his hands and Frizz missed the tackle on Parkers try
In defense Lawrie & Sims + McInnes were outstanding in the middle buckling them on the spot

Hunt MOM, his 2 kicks led to our tries and general play kicking game was good - 3
Lawrie - 2
mcInnes - 1

Whilst from about the last 60 minites we were starved of possession and field position, 50/50 our fault and refereeing but when we had the chance we did not throw enough plays at them
Manly tried to ambush us with linespeed and it worked but we needed to attack deeper and relied too much on one out plays and dont look enough for 2nd phase as Manly did. The ball carrier needs more support runners which would of have Manly's edges and flanks guessing or coming in more.
Dragons tried to bust em through the middle which was never going to work except for the planned kicks behind the lines
Corey's kicking game was 50/50 as some of his clearing kicks went striaght down their throat.

The problem with our wingers taking the high ball is trying to stand under it and leap instead of getting back deeper and time the running into it and leaping and it is easier to earm a penalty for getting taken out in the air, you wont need so many blockers like stupid Lafai did shouldering out Garrick when he did not need to,
And it is legal to do the Slater kung fu kick out in front of you as you watch now how Draius Boyd does it.
Enjoy the next 5 games guys, hope for 4 out of 5 as I expect the Roosters to be too good!
I also hope Lomax gets at least a 40 minute game out soon....BEFORE ORIGIN when he will be needed

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I am in bizarro world I am sure. His kicking was specifically singled out over and over by just about everybody, especially the commentary and actual QLD selectors.

His kicking game was immense.

That’s the good thing about footy....not everyone agrees, nor do they have to,

Brutalitops

Juniors
That’s the good thing about footy....not everyone agrees, nor do they have to,
No but an even better thing about footy is there are plenty of elements that are completely objective and measured by statistics. Which back up that Ben Hunt's kicking game yesterday ultimately won us the game not only in try assists, but also to sustain defensive pressure and gain repeat sets

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
No but an even better thing about footy is there are plenty of elements that are completely objective and measured by statistics. Which back up that Ben Hunt's kicking game yesterday ultimately won us the game not only in try assists, but also to sustain defensive pressure and gain repeat sets

Comparatively, how many pressure kicks made by DCE led to goal line dropouts?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Crikey, you did watch a different game to us ;-)

My reasoning:

1. Dufty’s positional play and he threatened to break Manly’s defensive line a few times.

2. Peirera made a few decisive runs towards the end of the game which gave Saints much needed momentum.

1. Frizell was injured early on and battled on gamely.

As indicated, there weren’t too many standout performances in my opinion.

j0nesy

Bench
My reasoning:

1. Dufty’s positional play and he threatened to break Manly’s defensive line a few times.

2. Peirera made a few decisive runs towards the end of the game which gave Saints much needed momentum.

1. Frizell was injured early on and battled on gamely.

As indicated, there weren’t too many standout performances in my opinion.

Fair enough mate, I was just mucking around. I thought those three played well too. Although Peirera did knock on twice.

Life's Good

Coach
There were plenty of strong performances but I thought Hunt & McInnes really stood out. High work rate and were looking for opportunities all game.
Special mention to Vaughan who continually rolled up his sleeves for those dirty runs when we desperately needed yardage.