What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 month countdown.........

Perth Red

Post Whore
well the nrl are supposed to be presenting the expansion plan to the commission by the end of the year. Will it be another straight on the shelf dust gathering report or finally a blueprint with agreed timetables and strategy for nrl expansion? Sadly with Beattie going, he was clearly the main driver of expansion, and V’landys seemingly more interested in suburban Sydney I can’t see it amounting to much, again.

taipan

Referee
well the nrl are supposed to be presenting the expansion plan to the commission by the end of the year. Will it be another straight on the shelf dust gathering report or finally a blueprint with agreed timetables and strategy for nrl expansion? Sadly with Beattie going, he was clearly the main driver of expansion, and V’landys seemingly more interested in suburban Sydney I can’t see it amounting to much, again.

Whatever is recommenced ,you'll find fault.

MugaB

Coach
If there is money to be made, and a demand for it, the commission should be smart enough to support a WA and Brisbane 2 team
If i were them, go bold and bring in 4 teams ala 1995, crushers, cowboys, warriors and reds and go to 20 teams
WA, SA, CC, and South Qld

mongoose

Coach
I think Brisbane 2 will at least be announced, it's been talked up too much and seems inevitable.
I don't think there will be any relocations and certainly no teams culled. Seems like V'landy's isn't in favour of this idea.
I hope they announce Perth but I am not holding my breath...

MugaB

Coach
I think Brisbane 2 will at least be announced, it's been talked up too much and seems inevitable.
I don't think there will be any relocations and certainly no teams culled. Seems like V'landy's isn't in favour of this idea.
I hope they announce Perth but I am not holding my breath...
Well if V'landy's is realistically going to concentrate on suburban grounds and Sydney central teams, he'll have to look at North Sydney as a possible re admission, whether its the Bears or a new entity, their needs to be a team better represented in the northern suburbs, than that of only manly, which hasn't really done anything for the area since the de-merger of the Central Coast based Eagles. I'm not condoning a relocation there either, but if the bears were to be re-admitted, it would be an instant win for him (short term only)
Long term it would again turn the screws on the other clubs in Sydney.
I watched NRL360 last night and kent had an interesting comment, that i somewhat kind of agree on, Ikin's question was "can you see a Grand Final held in NZ?" Kents reply was an infactic "NO, for the reason is the competition started in Sydney as the NSWRL comp and all other teams outside of it have been invited to participate as a part of that.
We've gone way past that now since 1988, but i see a comp that needs its heritage teams solidified in Sydney in all areas, not just in the south-east and west of Sydney. Perth and more teams in QLD is a must, especially in QLD as the whole state is a heartland, and i personally can see a GF at Suncorp one day.

taipan

Referee
Vlandys IMO will ensure the current clubs especially the Sydney ones are viable.
I still maintain he would want to expand also.Being involved in the racing industry with its national feel, he would know the financial benefits that flow from TV deals, the impact on advertisers and sponsorship.
I don't think he'll get too close to the players, it's business first .The players issues are with the CEO and they Players' Association.
If it's true, that he is ruthless ,hates waste and makes people accountable, then maybe more will be done in the marketing and development side of the code.

Diesel

Referee
Well if V'landy's is realistically going to concentrate on suburban grounds and Sydney central teams, he'll have to look at North Sydney as a possible re admission, whether its the Bears or a new entity, their needs to be a team better represented in the northern suburbs, than that of only manly, which hasn't really done anything for the area since the de-merger of the Central Coast based Eagles. I'm not condoning a relocation there either, but if the bears were to be re-admitted, it would be an instant win for him (short term only)
I watched NRL360 last night and kent had an interesting comment, that i somewhat kind of agree on, Ikin's question was "can you see a Grand Final held in NZ?" Kents reply was an infactic "NO, for the reason is the competition started in Sydney as the NSWRL comp and all other teams outside of it have been invited to participate as a part of that.
We've gone way past that now since 1988, but i see a comp that needs its heritage teams solidified in Sydney in all areas, not just in the south-east and west of Sydney. Perth and more teams in QLD is a must, especially in QLD as the whole state is a heartland, and i personally can see a GF at Suncorp one day.
Great post.

NS is a huge gap for the NRL, Manly does little for NS and Easts have taken over the CC. The gap from Manly to Newy is massive.

WA is a must for the NRL. The NRL also needs a CC/NS team, even if it’s seen as a step backwards for expansion.

As for Kent’s comments, while fair and possibility correct, the NRL has moved on from the NSWRL. This is a national competition and the NRL needs to take the GF out of Sydney, even if it’s every 3rd year.

MugaB

Coach
Great post.

NS is a huge gap for the NRL, Manly does little for NS and Easts have taken over the CC. The gap from Manly to Newy is massive.

WA is a must for the NRL. The NRL also needs a CC/NS team, even if it’s seen as a step backwards for expansion.

As for Kent’s comments, while fair and possibility correct, the NRL has moved on from the NSWRL. This is a national competition and the NRL needs to take the GF out of Sydney, even if it’s every 3rd year.
Well i feel if the GF has 2 away sides that are not in NSW (how often?)
Like 2006s Melbourne V Brisbane or 2015 Cowboys v Broncos, then yeah play it at Suncorp or MCG or on the moon, but Sydney has to be the spot if there is 1 of them from NSW, that to me sounds fair,
I also think that it should be top7 in the finals, and minor premiers are the only one to get the week off, this top 2 sh1t is rubbish, Melbourne were the better team all year by 6 points, yet they get no more advantage than what the roosters got, but again don't get beat by the raiders 1st week, but in saying that
Extend the old top5 to top7 like it was in the NSWRL, and they'll be a better and more rewarding ladder than just half the comp play off, it should be.
Week one =1st gets week off, then 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5, then have the lowest team exit.
Week two =1v6, 2v5, 3v4, 2 lowest teams exit. Week three = 1v4, 2v3, winners into GF, same amount of games just 7 teams and a true advantage for the minor premiers, and stop rewarding mediocrity atleast by 1 team, broncos did nothing this finals

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

The odds of the Bears being re-admitted to the NRL in North Sydney are 1000 - 1. The odds of a new NRL team being created in North Sydney are 1000,000 - 1. Neither are going to happen.

MugaB

Coach
What odds? 5682-1? There's no punters, just your deduction, but seriously I'd be happier with the Burleigh Bears being admitted rather than the Titans, at least Burleigh have some history prior to an addition to the competition, what did titans have? nothing. Brisbane worked it was the best 17 players plucked from a QRL comp. Melbourne worked coz 2 clubs folded prior and those fed into it, plus all the concessions.
If there is a genuine, serious push for Expansion, it has to be a club, not a city or an area, a CLUB that gets added, not a brisbane "bombers" not another "Titans" but based in Perth, gotta be a club.
Best chance are the clubs that already exist that have history.
Cronulla, Wenty and Penrith were clubs before entering the comp, wenty lucked out coz Parra were too close.
Newtown, Norths, Redcliffe, Burleigh, clubs that exists will be expansion driven, NRL are lazy no way will they open up shop in Perth or Brisbane or wherever, they'll pick the best club and hand out the license, and take it away when they don't comply or fail. Forget all this odds, odds are lower tier clubs get a license, before NRL has to do any heavy lifting into WA,or SA, they'd rather relocate a club there, NORTHS or WENTY, OR NEWTOWN might be the only option other than not doing it all.

Springs09

Juniors
WA already have a club, the Pirates play in SG Ball every year.

The NRL needs to be proactive. Put it forward to the clubs. West Coast in by 2023, enter a team in the NSW Cup by 2021 and start spreading the brand among the community. With the Brisbane bids, tell Ipswich or Redcliffe they need to rebrand as the West Brisbane Jets or North Brisbane Dolphins immediately and start coming up with a plan of how to build up a strong fanbase, plans for a new stadium in the west or north of Brisbane or how they will justify playing out of Suncorp Stadium away from their fanbase. With the Bombers - start building an actual club not just a logo, enter a team into QLD Cup by 2021.

I'd prefer the Pirates plus one of the Jets or Dolphins in by 2023.

Tell the other bids - NZ 2, Adelaide, Central Coast, PNG, Central QLD (is this still a thing?) to aim for 2025 or later.

Pippen94

First Grade
2023 Redcliffe & Perth will enter
2031 Wellington & PNG
In between Gold Coast move up road to south Brisbane & Roosters move to new west Melbourne stadium.

Marlins

Juniors
Hopefully with the negative press towards the AFL Tv Ratings this year and the praising of the Nrl Ratings, it’s a sign that the next tv deals between the two codes, will be a lot closer.

Broncos Ratings are still King and Storm are 2nd.
Most Watched NRL on Foxleague
1. Brisbane 6.085m (254k average)
2. Melbourne 6.016m (251k)
3. Wests 5.991m (250k)
4. Parramatta 5.884m (245k)
5. Souths 5.827m (243k)

So if expansion is happening,
Brisbane 2 is a certainty, and Perth being the next biggest city in Aus, without a team, it seems likely as well.

flippikat

Bench
If i were them, go bold and bring in 4 teams ala 1995, crushers, cowboys, warriors and reds and go to 20 teams
WA, SA, CC, and South Qld

Nearly.

I'd say Perth, Adelaide, New Zealand 2 & South Qld (ie Brisbsne 2)

Have a game in NZ every weekend for the early timeslot.

That is, if they wanna go 1995 V2.0 - I doubt there's an appetite for a "big bang" expansion like that, though.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
2023 Redcliffe & Perth will enter
2031 Wellington & PNG
In between Gold Coast move up road to south Brisbane & Roosters move to new west Melbourne stadium.

PNG is a long way away from being an economically viable location for an NRL team.

I'll say that Adelaide would probably have a team long before PNG, basically due to one factor: Disposable income.