What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3RD ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Manchester Aug 1-5, 2013

This is just another one of crickets crazy rules.

Its been raining all morning , late start and you keep the same bloody lunch time?!

A full session should be played before you take lunch.

Utterly ridiculous IMO.

TheParraboy

Staff member
After lunch

1. Don't bowl Lyon AT ALL

2. Give Starc a 3-4 over spell, license to let loose

3. Predominately bowl with Harris, Siddle and Sunshine

4. Use Steve Smith instead of Lyon

TheParraboy

Staff member
interesting, bat makers are making bats that negate the hot spot (put some sort of cover on it), according to dominic thornley who just sent brett lee a text message on that

BDR

First Grade
Looks like it might end in rain. Disappointing but oh well, we showed we won't lay down. They won't have it all their way in these two series

Danish

Referee
Disagree completely

Its always been the case that it can't pick up extremely faint edges.

That's why it needs to be used in conjunction with snicko & a mic

I see no point to persist with hotspot. If it can't pick up on faint edges then it is useless. Big edges can be picked up just with footage.

I'd prefer they just hone snicko. Surely 6 dedicated cameras (1 at each end, and 2 in line with each crease on the on and off sides) that are calibrated with the stump can each innings and drinks break - this would only take a simple clapperboard at each end to line up the sound track with the footage - would be far more accurate than hotspot ever was.

And with a more accurate system in place, hotspot would then become quite pointless

BDR

First Grade
Not sure if I should stay up any longer. Hearing that it's not looking promising for resumption any time soon, and we're eating away at the remaining overs

Timbo

Staff member
These guys are really not bowling that fast. The illusions of my childhood have been shattered.

undertaker

Coach
This person on cricinfo makes a very good point:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/engine/match/566934.html

For me, all this simply underlines a key question - why didn't Clarke declare earlier? If he had declared at Tea yesterday, Australia would have been 290 ahead, they wouldn't have lost time to the light (because he would have been able to bowl two spinners - as the Umps requested) and England would have had a carrot to chase. Instead, he batted on (even when Starc fell!), gave England no incentive whatsoever to go for the win
I always felt that we batted for too long and should've declared, at the very latest, at tea yesterday. No way would England have attempted to plough down 290 odd or so (which would've been the highest 4th innings chase at Old Trafford), as all they need is a draw to retain the Ashes. I said in a previous post that we need as many overs as possible to bowl them out, and this may have been the final straw. We needed to take some big risks yesterday in order to win this match (which meant the possibility of England chasing down the total chasing a smaller target off more allocated overs), and our decision to not treat that 2nd session like a T20 match and score as quickly as possible has now given England the easy way out to take the draw and the urn.

This decision was nearly as brain-dead as the one we took at The Oval in 2005 when we walked off due to bad light when we had to win that test to retain the Ashes. I can understand that mentality if we were playing someone like Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, but when you must win a game you need to be out there for as long as you can, even if it means playing in the rain (which did happen back in an ODI back in the '70s)。 LOL to those who said the weather doesn't matter and you never play to the predicted weather forecasts. Days earlier, it had been known that the weather wasn't looking promising for days 4-5 of this test.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Test drawn, England retain the Ashes. A shame the English weather kicked in at the worst moment after excellent weather in the first two tests. Would've been an interesting contest had we had a full days play today

Anyways, huge improvement from the Lords test for our guys. They can hold.their heads up high and know that the potential of winning the Ashes this summer is there if we can bat well followed by our bowlers putting sustained pressure on their batsmen. I knew we wouldn't lose 5-0 and hopefully we take a lot of confidence into the Durham test on Friday.

However, like Cardiff in 2009, Trent Bridge was the test that got away from us and has decided the Ashes. although Broads not out turned out to be costly, our batting collapse late on day 4 wdas the turning point

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Disappointing way to end the match but that's cricket. The Australian team stood up this test match, with improved performances from all of them. England played like a team happy for a draw and may well have had their pants pulled down if the weather had stayed fine.

Injuries permitting I'd say the Australian team will stay the same, Mr Teeney should open though with Twatto at 5, Clarke 4.

Latest posts