What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ODI: Australia v India at MCG Jan 18th 2019

vvvrulz

Coach
India is still highly dependent on Rohit, Kohli and to a lesser extent Dhawan. Early wickets is everything and Australia should be fast tracking every decent quick they can muster into their side.

They’re batting reasonably well considering they have six tailenders and open with two of them.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We need to seriously start preparing for the WC better. Particularly at the top of the order. Same = Same.
Last year when Finch was scoring runs I wasn't confident in him, just takes too long to get going, too much pressure on the others, once he does get going he is dynamite. But in this day and age we need better in the powerplay. He is looking dreadfull at the moment.

They will hang onto Finch here, but with Warner possibly back for the WC, and people like Turner and Short (and Wade) in great form, I dont think Finch can secure a spot . Needs to show us on Friday

Short
Khawaja
SMarsh
Turner
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey (wk)
Richardson
Meredith (raw but has serious pace - need a look at him maybe?)
Zampa
Berendorf

You can have Khawaja , Marsh or even Maxwell as captain

Do we revisit Handscomb as keeper?

I would. Not convinced by Carey at all.

Give Handscomb heaps of training at wicketkeeper before the World Cup, at least he’s an option.

Handscomb has a strike rate of 104 compared to Carey’s 76. Although both are on limited games, Handscomb’s strike rate is still a fair bit higher than Carey’s at domestic level.

Bazal

Post Whore
I definitely don't mind the idea of Handscomb as a short form keeper.

But Carey is definitely the better keeper. And he's not a bad ODI bat, he's just not an opener in any way.

We've got bigger issues than Carey IMO. f**k Siddle off, they won't pick from outside the squad but get him out of there at least.

In future we definitely need a Darcy Short or Chris Lynn type in the top three. Although with Warner back (and I would put him in the ODI side) that need will lessen

Eelectrica

Referee
Do we revisit Handscomb as keeper?
It's gotta be a possibility. Carey really hasn't done a whole lot lately. He's had a couple of decent BBL scores, but mostly he's got out early and taken a few balls to not score much.
He didn't set the world on fire in the JLT cup either.
Move him down the order has to be considered for Melbourne. He's not the top order blaster he's been made out to be.

Dare I say it, even Bancroft is putting his hand up.

The reality is we're fast running out of time to assemble a WC team are still stuck on square one. Lot pieces to the puzzle, but they don't seem to fit.

Timbo

Staff member
If Carey is not going to score runs - and I genuinely don't think he'll ever be a bloke who averages more than about 25 in ODI cricket - I would look at Handscomb for now, and maybe someone like Phillipe a bit down the road.

If your keeper isn't doing anything with the bat and you have another bloke who can do it in the side, then he's not earning his place. It's not like Handscomb is the kind of bloke who would let 50 byes per innings past. He keeps in the BBL and for Victoria in the domestic 50 over stuff. He's more than a part-timer.

Fangs

Coach
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/gle...laide-oval-langer-video-highlights/2019-01-16

"I remember the days when Michael Clarke used to bat seven and Michael Hussey used to bat seven," Langer said.

"I used to muck around with Huss saying, 'mate, you have got the best job in the world, you never bat, you get paid a fortune but you never bat because the team is going so well'.

"But when Maxi can come in an put the finishing touches on like he does, for me it's the perfect position."

If our top order fired and the middle order was stacked with talent and levers I'd agree.

Sounds like he is thinking Warner and Smith will come back in and solve that problem.

Bazal

Post Whore
Seven is a good spot for Maxwell. The top order needs change, but Maxwell is a finisher, so let him finish

_snafu_

Immortal
I think Handscomb is a better option than Carey right now. I look forward to seeing how Phillippe develops.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Smith and Warner coming back into the ODI side won't solve much, we were poor with them there anyway.

Warner is as hit and miss as Finch, you have to weigh up if you want cancer or obesity here especially as Finch is captain (for better or worse).

Smith is a good ODI player but not an absolute gun like he is in tests, he would improve the side but not dramatically.

If we drop the fat man who captains?

Khawaja? The great Shaun Marsh? Billy Stanlake?

Bazal

Post Whore
Smith and Warner coming back into the ODI side won't solve much, we were poor with them there anyway.

Warner is as hit and miss as Finch, you have to weigh up if you want cancer or obesity here especially as Finch is captain (for better or worse).

Smith is a good ODI player but not an absolute gun like he is in tests, he would improve the side but not dramatically.

If we drop the fat man who captains?

Khawaja? The great Shaun Marsh? Billy Stanlake?

Smith will solve the fact that most of our top 4 or 5 don't rotate the strike. Warner, hit and miss yeas, cancer absolutely, but strikes at over 100 for the past three years (excluding the ban year), so that addresses an issue at the top.It won't save us, but it helps.

If Finch continues his poor form, I wonder if a Handscomb or a Head might be an option as skipper? Head needs to get back in the side first, obviously...

There's not many options in the side right now. Khawaja for me is probably one of the first out at this stage, because his strike rotation has always been poor, so having him as captain just creates another potential Finch situation.

Send an SOS to Watto?