What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka at Brisbane Jan 18, 2013

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think Finch, Uzi :crazy: will be cut with Clarke and Warner to come in. Scissorhands for flipperhands.

TheParraboy

Staff member
we all want a competitive series and we are getting that

But gee the games have been one sided a bit , sort of defeats the purpose

Horrie Is God

First Grade
He's back..

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/pattinson-returns-from-injury-20130112-2cmok.html

Pattinson returns from injury..

Date January 13, 2013

AUSTRALIAN paceman James Pattinson has made a successful return from injury. The 22-year-old bowled eight overs for his Premier club Dandenong on Saturday, returning 2-21 and eliminating two of St Kilda's top-order batsmen in the 50-over match at Shepley Oval.

Pattinson opened the attack but, under a medical curfew, was only allowed to deliver eight of a possible 10 overs.

He was ruled out of the third Test against South Africa and all three Tests against Sri Lanka because of his rib injury and side strain. He took 1-2 off his first four overs.

''It [the injury] was no problem,'' he said. ''I will sit down with the physio on Monday and see if I'm good for the Big Bash [Melbourne Stars], Victoria or to play another grade game.''

Pattinson (36 off 57) returned to top score for the Panthers (166) at No. 5, but they were unable to chase down the Saints' 9-207 in the slow conditions.

In the top-of-the-table clash between recent season premiers Melbourne and Richmond, Brenton McDonald returned 5-13 against his old team, the Tigers. This time last year he was the key in the Tigers' breakthrough season premiership, and on Saturday the leggie bowled an over in which he captured three wickets.

The result knocked the Tigers out of the one-day final against the Dees, to be replaced by Prahran.

Hallatia

Referee
this headline doth amuse me
Arthur attacks critics of rotation
Daniel Brettig
January 13, 2013

Australia's coach Mickey Arthur has rounded on critics of the national team's management of fast bowlers, taking particularly sharp aim at the contention that the selection panel is letting sports science make its decisions regarding who to choose.

In a prolonged rebuttal of public and media views that there is confusion if not chaos around Australian team selection, Arthur revealed that a major factor behind Mitchell Starc's withdrawal from the Boxing Day Test team was to avoid the flaring of a long-term ankle problem that will eventually require surgery and an extended lay-off from the game.

He also confirmed that Michael Clarke, Matthew Wade and David Warner would return to the ODI team for the second phase of matches in Brisbane and Sydney on Friday and Sunday. Australia have been widely criticised by former players and sections of the public for fielding a "B-team" in the first two matches of the series, but Arthur went to considerable lengths to explain the intricacies of selection.

"We're very clear on who the best team is and who the best attack is," Arthur said following Australia's defeat in the second ODI in Adelaide. "I've been really annoyed and frustrating by some of the articles that have been going around. For me it's common sense. Common sense prevails when we pick teams. We certainly don't pick teams not to win any cricket games for Australia. Every time we pick a team we're giving guys opportunities and picking what we think is the best side possible to go out and do the job and win.

"It's either very naive or just a little bit stubborn that people don't understand what we're doing. The example I've used is Black Caviar. When he runs a horse race, if they don't feel he's 100% right they don't release him. We've done that with our bowlers, and over the year we've had three examples of quick bowlers basically rested, and that is all.

"Ryan Harris in the West Indies, Mitchell starc on Boxing Day and Peter Siddle at Perth. That's the only time we have rested quick bowlers, and we've done that simply because we think they're at risk. We want to play our guys all the time. With the amount of cricket we play these day's it is impossible to keep the guys on the park in every single game. So we would not have a quick bowler at risk."

Starc's absence from the Boxing Day Test team was a particular sore point, Starc himself stating his frustration at not being allowed to follow-up his match-clinching five wickets on the final day of the Hobart Test by playing on the biggest day of the Australian cricket calendar. But Arthur made it clear that there were more factors at play than a simple question of Starc's workload.

"If you take Mitchell Starc over the Boxing Day Test match, the information we'd got was that he was at risk. Then it's up to us," Arthur said. "The constant thought that sports scientists are picking the team is so far off the mark that it's frightening. They give us information, the information is then left up to us to make that decision. Michael, myself and the selector on duty make the decision based on the information we're given. When we get that information we will see if it holds up and if we think it's not worth the risk.

"Mitchell Starc plays three forms of the game. He had an ankle impingement, he's got spurs that are going to require an operation at some stage. We're hoping that will be a year down the line, but at some stage that is going to give in. There was no point in us playing him in a Boxing Day Test match and risk losing him for the one-day series and then for a tour of India. That would've been plain stupid."

Australia are facing one of the most demanding schedules ever set before an international team in 2013, with a four-Test tour of India to be followed by the Champions Trophy and then 10 consecutive Ashes Test matches in England and Australia. Arthur said the decisions made to withdraw fast bowlers or other players from the firing line for set periods reflected the calendar ahead.

"Whenever we make those decisions, we make those decisions with a lot of thought into how we're going to use our quick bowler and when we're going to use him," Arthur said. "I really want to get that out and put that on record, because I'm sick and tired of talking about it, and I'm certainly sick and tired of seeing some of the articles that are going around in the media at the moment."

A hamstring strain to Brad Haddin, meanwhile, has simplified the circumstances of Wade's return to the squad as the national selectors prepare to strengthen their team for the next brace of matches in Brisbane and Sydney. That injury may now cause the selectors something of a headache should they still want to take Haddin on the India Test tour in early February. But for now it will allow Wade to return swiftly and smoothly to the ODI squad alongside other members of the Test team that were given a week's rest following their exertions against South Africa and Sri Lanka.

Australia will also review their bowling resources as Starc and Mitchell Johnson carry niggling calf and side ailments respectively. Josh Hazlewood recovered from a stress hot spot in his foot to play in the Sydney Sixers' closing Big Bash League games and will be considered, while Nathan Coulter-Nile is another option.

In addition to their injury concerns, the selectors may ponder withdrawing the young fast bowler Kane Richardson from the squad so he may undergo remedial work on his bowling action, which on debut in Adelaide had him running on the pitch so frequently that he was barred from the attack by the umpire Marais Erasmus after six overs. It was an issue picked up by the former New Zealand allrounder Chris Cairns while commentating on Big Bash League matches earlier in the summer, though Richardson's transgressions had avoided the attention of Australian umpires.
Sauce

BunniesMan

Immortal
Players have been rotated out of limited overs games for years.

But using rotation in tests is new and it gives people the shits. Test cricket is the pinnacle and should not be messed around with. Baggy greens should be earned, not handed out all over the place.

And if we saw a link between Test rotation and injury reduction we might be more understanding but there are players who are breaking down right after being rotated out. So it is completely bullshit and every reasonable fan can see it.

1. Warner
2. Hughes
3. Khawaja
4. Bailey
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Wade
8. Cutting
9. McKay
10. Pattinson
11. Doherty

Finch and Maxwell have both been crud, Uzi should have never been rested from this game. Cutting gets another shot on the account of richardsons not being able to stay off the wicket, and that its at his home ground. Pattinson in depending on other injuries to starc or shitchell.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
"It's either very naive or just a little bit stubborn that people don't understand what we're doing. The example I've used is Black Caviar. When he runs a horse race, if they don't feel he's 100% right they don't release him. We've done that with our bowlers, and over the year we've had three examples of quick bowlers basically rested, and that is all.

Sorry Mickey your argument is now void, and that is all.

some11

Referee
Pick the best team, if someone is injured then pick the next best player until the injured played returns.

Make me a f**king selector.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we rotate more than any other country, its a croc imo

its a joke when we are down to playing bowlers that cant even bowl properly under first class rules, makes a joke out of our coaching staff

Valheru

Coach
The games have been one sided but at least it is 1-1 which will maintain my interest for the next game. Obviously Clarke will come back and surely M Hussey will get a run at some stage as a farewell tour?

Latest posts