What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka at Brisbane Jan 18, 2013

Hallatia

Referee
Cutting drafted back into ODI squad
ESPNcricinfo staff
January 16, 2013

Ben Cutting has joined Australia's squad for the third ODI in Brisbane as cover for Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson, both of whom missed the second game in Adelaide due to minor injuries.

Australia's selectors are confident Starc and Johnson will both be fit to play against Sri Lanka at the Gabba on Friday but have chosen to have Cutting on hand as a precaution. Cutting, who is based in Brisbane, made his one-day international debut in the loss in Adelaide, where he scored 27 and picked up 1 for 42.

"Ben is here in Brisbane as a precaution due to Johnson and Starc coming back from injury," John Inverarity, the national selector, said. "If both pace bowlers prove their fitness to play as expected, Ben will re-join the Brisbane Heat on Friday afternoon for the Big Bash League final."

Starc missed the Adelaide game due to mild calf soreness and Johnson was a late withdrawal due to a side injury.
Sauce

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ben is here in Brisbane as a precaution

very good you old fossil

I mean if he wasn't in Brisbane on standby he could go back home....................................................to Brisbane

BunniesMan

Immortal
I like Cutting. Glad he might have another chance.

Why is Dan Christian even getting column inches. He never was and never will be the answer.

In important betting news, after his last game I feel Phil Hughes is due. $5 on him as highest scorer for Oz. Phils got dis.

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
We've rotated players through the ODI side for ten years, no big deal IMO (although we kept it to a core squad of 14-15 players at least, not as many as we seem to be going through now).

Hope Patto doesnt play one dayers. Our best ODI bowling lineup is Starc Johnson McKay imo with Harris a chance if he is ever fit again. Need to find some spin bowling though, Doherty is amongst the worst players I've seen play for Australia.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you mean is Lyon limited ?

yes he is imo

he gets belted in the big wank

Earl

Coach
He bowls quick enough as it is. Coming into a Test match off an ODI series he'd be bowling thunderbolds

knights22

Juniors
I haven't really wanted to mention shaun marsh. Because last year some of his form was just soooo bad. But i think the selectors need to stand up and take note atm. Especially if he has a good final.

Hallatia

Referee
Clarke defends resting of players
Brydon Coverdale
January 17, 2013

Michael Clarke has defended Australia's selection process throughout the summer, declaring that the policy of resting players with minor niggles made sense due to the evenness of Australia's talent base. Clarke has returned to the one-day team for the third match against Sri Lanka in Brisbane on Friday after being left out of the first two games to rest his hamstring.

It was one of several times during the summer that Australia omitted men who could have played but were kept on the sidelines as injury precautions. Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus sat out of the Perth Test against South Africa after their heavy workloads in the previous Test, and with both men suffering minor injuries, and a month later Mitchell Starc was rested from the Boxing Day Test, although it was not until this week that it was revealed he had bone spurs in his ankle.

Clarke conceded that at times during this season the public had not been made aware of injury niggles to players who were rested, although he said the team was wary of revealing information that might be used by the opposition. However, he said all the decisions made by the selection panel made sense given what the selectors knew about the players' fitness levels.

"There's a lot that is spoken about within the group that people outside the group probably aren't aware of," Clarke told reporters in Brisbane. "We've probably seen some cases throughout the past 12 months where guys have not been 100% fit or had little niggles that probably haven't been communicated as well as they needed to be to the media, and in essence to the public.

"The Perth Test match was a great example. Call it resting Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus [but] the facts were they just weren't fit enough to perform at their best. The two guys who we brought in for Siddle and Hilfenhaus [John Hastings and Mitchell Johnson], we were confident that they could do a better job at 100% than those guys at 70 or 80%."

Such decisions have brought severe criticism from a range of former players this summer, including Shane Warne, Brett Lee and Ian Chappell. But Clarke said he believed rotating out players who had minor injury worries made sense in the current era, whereas during the days when Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting were in charge of a dominant side, it would not have been a sensible move.

"The issue where the Australian team now is compared to where it was ten years ago, is ten years ago you had four, five, six, seven great players in one team, so if they were 80% fit, they were still good enough to win a game for Australia," Clarke said. "Where we sit now as a team is, it's a lot different to that.

"The gap between the 11 players that take the field and the 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th player is quite close, so if you're not 100% fit to perform at your best, it's not worth the risk for the team for you to take to the field and let the team down.

"What the public wants to see is the best possible Australian team on the field, every game, and honestly I think we're trying to do that. I really do. I think the risk of playing someone when they're not 100% fit, if they do get injured, can put them out for six weeks, six months."
Sauce

BunniesMan

Immortal
FFS the people running the joint are morons.

Apparently blokes have genuine injuries and it was called rotation because they thought that sounded better.

Nooone would have a problem with an injured player not being picked for a test. If they just say that they wouldn't have had half the problems they're having with public perception.

We're ok with injured players not playing. We are not ok with rotation in tests. When it is the former, just say so and we won't be mad.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we've never ever rested this many players, the criticism is warranted imo

we have never gone into a test match with a completely new pace attack like we did in Perth

softcocks

Latest posts