What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test England v West Indies at Manchester, July 24-28 2020

Pommy

Coach
Looking at the weather and there’s rain predicted every day for the next week.

_snafu_

Immortal
second-test-england-v-west-indies_5bb4ab10-ccbc-11ea-98f0-14dc794b6a99.jpg

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Last time that the Wisden trophy will be up for grabs, next time the teams will play for the Botham Richards trophy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/cricket/53501048

The Wisden Trophy, contested between England and West Indies in Test cricket, is to be replaced by a new trophy named after Sir Vivian Richards and Sir Ian Botham.

England begin the final Wisden Trophy meeting with West Indies - the deciding third Test - on Friday.

The two sides will then compete for the Richards-Botham Trophy when they next meet in a Test series.

"It really is a big honour, quite amazing," Botham said.

The new trophy is a tribute to two of the most iconic players in cricket and one of the sport's greatest rivalries.

All-rounder Botham scored 5,200 runs for England and took 383 wickets in 102 Tests. Antiguan Richards is regarded as one of the greatest ever batsman, scoring 8,540 runs in 121 Tests for West Indies at an average of 50.23.

Speaking to BBC Test Match Special's Isa Guha, Botham added: "I'm pleased as much for myself as I am for Viv. He's the best batsman I ever bowled to. In every format of the game, he's been the best."

The Wisden Trophy was first awarded in 1963 to celebrate the 100th edition of the Wisden Cricketers' Almanack.

Former England captain Michael Atherton had previously called for the trophy to be rebranded , and said that John Wisden - a county cricketer who founded the Almanack - had no relevance to the England v West Indies fixture.

The Wisden Trophy will now be retired and displayed at a museum at Lord's.

Botham and Richards competed against each other many times over their international careers. But they also played together for Somerset and struck up a strong friendship off the field, and even shared a house during that time.

"There are times when I came to England and Ian made me felt so welcome," Richards said.

"There can be some funny people around the world, not everyone appreciates this colour.

"Ian adopted me as a friend. At that time, we sent a huge message to the world that two people of different races can compete together, live together and share the good times together.

"You're going to have two good guys, in my opinion, whose names are going to be on this trophy."

The West Indies have won 14 series against England since the Wisden Trophy was first awarded, and held it for 27 years between 1973 and 2000.

England have won the nine times and four series have ended in a draw.

With the current series level at 1-1, the winner of the third Test at Emirates Old Trafford will lift the Wisden Trophy. Current holders West Indies, who beat England 2-1 in 2019, will retain it should the series be drawn.

_snafu_

Immortal
Speaking to BBC Test Match Special's Isa Guha, Botham added: "I'm pleased as much for myself as I am for Viv. He's the best batsman I ever bowled to. In every format of the game, he's been the best."

I reckon if Botham bowled to Wadey in the nets, he would have to change that statement.

Pommy

Coach
England team.

Glad to see Jimmy back. I didn’t think about it in the last test but you should never leave a player out of a game if they have and end of the ground named after them.

Bazal

Post Whore
Now to settle in for a long night of watching Rakheem Cornwall roll the arm over.

You may not like it, but that? That's peak performance, boys. What a rig!

Bazal

Post Whore
The Windies are fools. Celebrating the wicket of Stokes with such fervor when England still have Lord Sir Christopher Woakes, Earl of Warwickshire and King of Eights in the shed

Were the Windies taking the piss when they selected Cornwall??? The bloke should be in a sumo ring... he probably runs the 100m sprint in 4 mins!

Pommy

Coach
Belted around by a coward like Stuart Broad. Ugly for the Windies

I thought Australians didn’t boo or say bad things about cricketers who do questionable things.
Or does that only apply to saint wet eyes smith?