What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Sri Lanka at Johannesburg on Jan 12-16, 2017

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-sri-lanka-2016-17/content/story/1076909.html

This De Silva guy sounds a bit like Watson but in reverse batting order, excuses he can't score runs batting in the top 4, but is comfortable playing his shots batting at 7, lol

"I don't think we need to make huge changes to the way we bat or bowl, but we do need to adjust to the situation better - we need to limit our shots," de Silva said. "We can't hit shots all around the ground like in Sri Lanka, or even Zimbabwe. We've got to set limits for ourselves about where we are not going to score and which balls we aren't going to go after.

"We do all have that confidence with the bat, but we need to fine-tune our approach. If someone starts getting a big innings, we all need to rally around him. We need to get a big enough total to give our bowlers something to defend. But I think we can give them a fight."

De Silva must be foremost among those switching to a more survivalist mentality, because seven Tests into his career, he has a new role that demands of him patience and responsibility. Although he averaged 60.60 at positions 5, 6 and 7 - where he had batted in most of his first six Tests - he was shunted up to no. 4 at Newlands thanks to a top-order reshuffle aimed at finding a decent no. 3.

"When I batted seven, a lot of the time, my job was to bat with the tail," he said. "I often try to score quick runs because the tail is vulnerable, and we need to get as many as possible for the team. When I go second drop, sometimes I can't play my strokes, because I'm trying to play a long innings. I have to stay at the wicket to get runs. I think I prefer no. 7, but this is my role."

The more I read the above article the more its SA 3-0 under 3 days

Bazal

Post Whore
Hashim Amla gets a hundred in his hundredth test. Nice little milestone for one of the great batsmen