What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations Final - Australia vs England

morgan123

Juniors
he definitely favoured Australia, but it did not majorly affect the game

You could argue that it did. The two decisions after England regained the lead in the second half went to Australia and were both wrong. The penalty against Sinfield which gave Australia the field position for the Slater dive over was the wrong call, Thurston was clearly pulling Sinfield down.

Then he gave a knock on against Tomkins when he was clearly pushed in the middle of the back as he was attempting to play the ball. Australia scored off the back of it again.

j0nesy

Bench
f**k you trolls. Your metrosexual players are going to get crushed by the brute force of the English forwards.

I'm talking about multiple KO's, Australians left all over the park in a world of pain. You don't have what it takes. You aren't strong enough or big enough to hang with England.

Glass jaw Inglis will be gone soon. Expect someone to spark him clean out just like Origin 3. That woman beater is going to be HUMBLED and removed from the field.

That other son of a bitch Paul Gallen is going to get a few to jaw if he plays to. The filthy grub will wish he stayed at home. Ellis and Crabtree will find him.

Your entire team will feel the squeeze. The pressure the English team apply will be too much. Australia will crumble by half time.

You can not beat us. Australia are the worst team in the tournament bar France. It's laughable how the mighty have fallen.

You absolute fuggwit :lol:

Chook Norris

First Grade
such a shame about the score, to the ignorant public.. it was an absolute flogging; another blow to the credentials of International Rugby League; it was anything other than that for the majority of the match

England were better than the Ozzies up front for a large part of the match, but you could tell that their fitness was nowhere near as good.

Such a shame that England played better, overall, than the team that showed up at Wigan.. the team deserved a whole lot more

j0nesy

Bench
such a shame about the score, to the ignorant public.. it was an absolute flogging; another blow to the credentials of International Rugby League; it was anything other than that for the majority of the match

England were better than the Ozzies up front for a large part of the match, but you could tell that their fitness was nowhere near as good.

Such a shame that England played better, overall, than the team that showed up at Wigan.. the team deserved a whole lot more

Yeah the scoreline did not reflect the match, although the better team definitely did win there can be no doubt about that.

As for the Aussies getting beaten in the forwards - I disagree. I thought the forward battle was pretty even. I was surpised by how well Hannant went, he bent them backwards regularly. Remember it's an 80 minute game, if it were a 60 minute game Australia probably would have selected a few more big boppas themselves - like Weyman for example.

8Ball

First Grade
As for the Aussies getting beaten in the forwards - I disagree. I thought the forward battle was pretty even. I was surpised by how well Hannant went, he bent them backwards regularly. Remember it's an 80 minute game, if it were a 60 minute game Australia probably would have selected a few more big boppas themselves - like Weyman for example.

The Australian forwards seemed to be stepped around all night.. Massive holes up the middle. There were periods where Australia held their own (our front row had a solid a game), but overall the English pack were on top of ours.

Hallatia

Referee
You could argue that it did. The two decisions after England regained the lead in the second half went to Australia and were both wrong. The penalty against Sinfield which gave Australia the field position for the Slater dive over was the wrong call, Thurston was clearly pulling Sinfield down.

Then he gave a knock on against Tomkins when he was clearly pushed in the middle of the back as he was attempting to play the ball. Australia scored off the back of it again.
yeah but England shot themselves in the foot, yes the referee helped the pull the trigger, but they evidently did not have many problems pulling that trigger on their own. That and Australia are just too good

j0nesy

Bench

England were laying all over the ruck all night and were lucky to get away with as much as they did. Sinfield took it too far right in front of the referee by leaning on Thurston's neck/face with his shins for a very long time.

Was that the Lewis tackle? If so, the replay showed that Lewis did not touch him. Even the biased English commentators said so. It was an attempted milk gone wrong.

Don't blame the referee. He did well given the absolute bagging he copped going in the match, he must have been under a lot of pressure.

roopy

Referee
Just finished watching the game.
What an amazing effort by Gidley - first time in his life he has played right centre, and about 5th game in the centres in his senior career, and he slotted in like he has been playing it all his life.
All the people making excuses for Hayne because he has only played 20 or 30 games on the wing, and Gidley just nails a position he has never played in his life - not even in the juniors (he played a fair bit of left centre in the juniors - but that was 9 years ago).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Says alot about the quality of Australia that we don't have our best team on the field and still win easily.

Looks like you're stuck with me bitches. :)

Everything I say is true, training run, England SL = < Qld Cup standard. Even the biased Poms commentators agree with me.

England deserve no respect and I'm tired of Australians having to apologise for being so damm good.

Boganater

Juniors
What an amazing effort by Gidley - first time in his life he has played right centre, and about 5th game in the centres in his senior career, and he slotted in like he has been playing it all his life.
All the people making excuses for Hayne because he has only played 20 or 30 games on the wing, and Gidley just nails a position he has never played in his life - not even in the juniors (he played a fair bit of left centre in the juniors - but that was 9 years ago).
Gidley was an adequate replacement, nothing to get to excited over though he did drop the ball at a bad time and England scored from the next set.
I have to remember that you are just a Newcastle fan so I would expect that sort of response from you.

skeepe

Immortal

You've lost your marbles. Gidley was woeful out in the centres, absolutely woeful. In fact, I didn't even realise he was on the field until he knocked on. His kick for Slater's try at the end was good, but apart from that we would have been better served with ANYONE else out in the centres, even Civoniceva.

The problem with such an emphatic scoreline is that it papers over the fact that Tim Sheens is by far the worst coach of Australia in a very long, long time. Thaiday is a great second rower, but only a decent prop. Brett White is a woeful prop. Shillington has played better than both in his games, yet they both get selected ahead of him. Kurt Gidley is NOT a utility, so we need to end this myth right now. What SHOULD have happened was another prop on the bench, Luke Lewis moves out to the centres and Watmough or Thaiday come on into the second row. It's not rocket surgery.

Hopefully this game will put to bed the myth that Nathan Hindmarsh belongs anywhere near a rep jumper. When he wasn't giving away a penalty in the opening 30 seconds, he was constantly being stood up in defence and making absolutely zero impact in attack. A waste of a jumper that could have gone to anyone else in the NRL and they would have played better.

Thurston was absolutely woeful. I don't know what Neil Henry has done to him up there, but his decision making is nowhere near where it was last year. I wouldn't be complaining if Scott Prince or Cooper Cronk were in the 7 next time Australia run out.

And yet we still won. Amazing.

Last edited:

Bman26

Juniors
People harping on about Gallen, he was the lazy defender who didn't cover the runner (Burgess) both times he scored, granted the first one was a wicked step on Petero but gallen left a massive hole between the two and the second one he was marking no-one and just left a gaping hole for burgess to run into

skeepe

Immortal
Right on cue skeepey old boy......................lol, you JUST HAD to knock gidley..:lol:

No, I just had to knock an imposter who should be nowhere near a rep jersey. That he plays for the Knights is a coincidence... and he was absolutely awful out there. That knock on was comical, but so like him.

Apey

Staff member
How did Thurston get MOTM? My 3-2-1:

3. Slater
2. Lockyer
1. Gidley lol