What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4k compatibility with old receivers.

azzah72

Bench
Hi all,

This is one for the audio visual/tech experts out there.

I have hesitated on upgrading to a 4k Tv but have decided to get one now the prices are decent.

One query, I currently have my PS4 and set top box going into the reciever via HDMI and then simply using HDMI out to my old plasma. I have an older Yamaha 7.1 surround receiver (RX-v567 to be exact) which I am pretty sure isn't 4k compatible with the pass through.

With the new tv, could I simply have the inputs go Into the tv and then use and optical audio cable go to the reciever for the sound or should I get a new reciever also?

Unsure if that'll work or if it also won't accept new audio codecs or something.

Keen for the advice. 👍

soc123_au

Staff member
I just went through a similar thing. My receiver has 4K pass through but no hdmi 2.1. I just upgraded to a new LG Oled with 4 hdmi 2.1 ports. I hooked the ps5 etc up direct to the tv then an optical back to the receiver. It works fine. The only issue is I now can’t get the receiver menu up on the tv if I want to dick around with the settings.

Generalzod

Immortal
Hi all,

I have hesitated on upgrading to a 4k Tv but have decided to get one now the prices are decent.

One query, I currently have my PS4 and set top box going into the reciever via HDMI and then simply using HDMI out to my old plasma. I have an older Yamaha 7.1 surround receiver (RX-v567 to be exact) which I am pretty sure isn't 4k compatible with the pass through.

With the new tv, could I simply have the inputs go Into the tv and then use and optical audio cable go to the reciever for the sound or should I get a new reciever also?

Unsure if that'll work or if it also won't accept new audio codecs or something.

Keen for the advice. 👍
I think that this is what you need?

• Audio Extractor: Extract full HDMI audio from any HDMI source signal and pass-through 4K or HDR the video to a compatible display/TV and output HDMI Audio to AV Receiver with HDMI input.
  • 4K Ultra HD Support - HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps), HDCP 2.2 compliant, supports resolutions up to 4K @ 50/60Hz (YUV 4:4:4) HDR, DVI Compliant
  • Dedicated HDMI Audio only output to connect to an AV Receiver supports Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital, DTS Digital, DTS HD Master, Dolby/DTS 7.1&5.1CH, PCM7.1&5.1&2.0 stereo audio)
  • eARC Mode Support - extract the audio return from ARC or eARC port on TV/Display and send HDMI audio only to a non-ARC AV Receiver for full audio experience

bileduct

Coach
I just went through a similar thing. My receiver has 4K pass through but no hdmi 2.1. I just upgraded to a new LG Oled with 4 hdmi 2.1 ports. I hooked the ps5 etc up direct to the tv then an optical back to the receiver. It works fine. The only issue is I now can’t get the receiver menu up on the tv if I want to dick around with the settings.

You get the C2? I got three of the f**kers, two 55" and a 42" I'm using as a PC monitor. f**king awesome televisions.

soc123_au

Staff member
You get the C2? I got three of the f**kers, two 55" and a 42" I'm using as a PC monitor. f**king awesome televisions.
I was going to, but I ended up getting a 75" G1 about $500 cheaper than the C2. From what I could work out the specs are pretty much the same. They had a 65"C2 on display, I couldnt believe how thin it was.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think that this is what you need?

• Audio Extractor: Extract full HDMI audio from any HDMI source signal and pass-through 4K or HDR the video to a compatible display/TV and output HDMI Audio to AV Receiver with HDMI input.
  • 4K Ultra HD Support - HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps), HDCP 2.2 compliant, supports resolutions up to 4K @ 50/60Hz (YUV 4:4:4) HDR, DVI Compliant
  • Dedicated HDMI Audio only output to connect to an AV Receiver supports Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital, DTS Digital, DTS HD Master, Dolby/DTS 7.1&5.1CH, PCM7.1&5.1&2.0 stereo audio)
  • eARC Mode Support - extract the audio return from ARC or eARC port on TV/Display and send HDMI audio only to a non-ARC AV Receiver for full audio experience
I'll check that out. It might work from the TV arc port back to the reciever. It doesn't gp to 120Hz, so the Series X & PS5 will just stay connected as they are. It should solve the fiddling with reciever settings issue though. Thanks for sharing :)

Munky

Coach
Hi all,

Keen for the advice. 👍

Your new TV will have likely an audio return channel as an HDMI port and so does your receiver according to Google.

I plug my PS5 to the TV and the audio goes back to the 2014 model receiver that way. Also means all the TV apps will play in 5.1.

EARC and ARC are fiddly as f**k though to get working and may require some trial and error.

bileduct

Coach
I was going to, but I ended up getting a 75" G1 about $500 cheaper than the C2. From what I could work out the specs are pretty much the same. They had a 65"C2 on display, I couldnt believe how thin it was.

Yeah I wasn't in a position to wall mount mine so that precluded the G2.

The display is about 5mm thick at the edges, but what impresses me most about these televisions is the complete absence of glow from backlighting. Dark parts of the image look like the television is turned off. And the brights are incredible.. I was watching something where some dude in the dark shined a flashlight toward the camera and it had a blinding effect. Incredibly light too, my old Samsung 40" was about 30kgs compared to 13kg for the LG C2 55".

Generalzod

Immortal
I'll check that out. It might work from the TV arc port back to the reciever. It doesn't gp to 120Hz, so the Series X & PS5 will just stay connected as they are. It should solve the fiddling with reciever settings issue though. Thanks for sharing :)
I wanted to upgrade my sound bar to the new Sonos arc but my TV doesn’t do earc and I was not going to fork out more cash to get one, I bought the hdfury arcana that bypasses the tv thus allowing me to get all hd sound..