What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th ODI: Australia v England at Adelaide on Jan 26, 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
Game 4 on Jan 26 Australia day

Can we win a game?

Do we stick with White and Paine?

Do we take pot luck, break up the squad and draft in Short, Carey, Lyon and Maxwell?

Worst thing that will happen is guys like White will score a decent ton and selectors will feel justified picking him. Hence will be linger in the side for a while yet

JJ

Immortal
Imagine it will be steady as she goes, they seem to be being very pig headed - horror run of losses, England schooling them over and over, and they refuse to change their approach...

One win will change little IMO - the strategy and selections need to change

vvvrulz

Coach
Surely TheBigDerp comes in by now, but then again if they had common sense he’d already be there.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think they only thing we can take out of the last game is that White needs to be promoted up the order even further.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Don't see many JL fans - but the 'leadership' (coach and captain) aren't really doing their job - is it time to look at a specific coach for the ODI and T20 teams?
Maybd, because poor Boof does it so tough and needs a rest every couple of weeks.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why open with an unproven Carey and demote Warner?

I'm not convinced with Khawaja in the short formats. Yes, he's pummeled z grade BBL attacks but he's a momentum stopper - once the field goes out he battles to score. Plus in the field he makes Finch look like Jonty Rhodes.

JJ

Immortal
Carey
Finch
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Warner
Stoinis
Lyon
Starc
Cummins
Haze

Immediately an obviously better side than they've been selecting - think Warner should still open, he's been very good in ODIs for a while now - but it's not rocket science, right

Shame Lynn seems to be made of theatre glass

Not sure you can afford to hide Khawaja and Finch in the field?

Immediately an obviously better side than they've been selecting - think Warner should still open, he's been very good in ODIs for a while now - but it's not rocket science, right

Shame Lynn seems to be made of theatre glass

Not sure you can afford to hide Khawaja and Finch in the field?

RE : fielding - meh to a degree. The runs they give you offsets some of their 'fielding'.

RE : Warner - he looks jaded at the moment. Refresh him down the order. A young punk full of spunk in Carey to open might give Australia spark at the top AND give Warner a little nudge.

Someone mentioned earlier about Ashes vs ODIs and how England have basically swept out the Test team for ODIs. I said the same thing on Friday with my missus. The Aussies just haven't got that extra gear ATM. No one is blasting. Tubby Taylor mentioned post match that Australia's SR's were < 100 whereas England's are > 100. Hell...even Woakes caned it yesterday.

I also think it's not so much the bowling - Australia haven't been too bad in the three games barring a few here and there's. Yesterday they had them by the nuts with a couple overs to go and then Woakes and Buttler exploded. In our last ten, with wickets in the hutch, we just didn't get runs, big runs at that.

Some of our fielding across the park is lacklustre, lethargic and painfully out of sync. It's rare they hit the stumps and rare it goes cleanly to the keeper over the stumps. More needs to be done there as India, England have caught up and South Africa, NZ and Pakistan and SL will all be up there. Hell, even Bangladesh and Afghanistan will give this Aussie ODI side a good fight, fright and bite.

If the selectors truly have an eye to the future for WC 2019, then Paine, White, Zampa surely aren't in the equation and should be turfed.

And I know Nine and ABC and 954AM Sydney are full of wankers, but when all of them, as well as all my social media feeds, forum discussions and conversations centre around the fact the selectors have plainly picked the wrong side, then something is definitely wrong.

I may sulk. But seriously, I ain't paying $80 to watch a second rate Aussie side get towelled. First time in a long time I didn't attend the Sydney ODI.

On another hand, England did beat us in the 2006/07 ODI finals and then Australia won the World Cup in 2007 some months later. Here's hoping the Australian selectors are looking at retooling their ODI side during 2017 but I shan't hold my breath. I also think it's time for Lehmann to step down. He's had near on 5 years. Time for some fresh ideas. JL - Tests, Dizzy - ODI, Punter - T20.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
To me, you might start with something like this:
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. A.N. Other
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (but has he actually performed recently?) In reality this is Marsh's spot for life
6. Stoinis (for now, he's certainly warranting it)
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Spinner - Lyon/Zampa?
11. Hazelwood

So #3, #5, and spinner are the gaps? A worry when two of your top order are very debatable, I guess - and Finch and Davey aren't young.

Looks very much like you need fresh ideas from the coach though - whether that's a change across all three forms, or specific coaches, I dunno - Smith probably still the right captain, although he's not up there as a bat or captain in ODI cricket for mine - of course he could be though

TheParraboy

Staff member
I also think it's time for Lehmann to step down. He's had near on 5 years. Time for some fresh ideas. JL - Tests, Dizzy - ODI, Punter - T20.

Lehmanns contract is till 2019, including the ashes and the 2019 world cup in england

He has said he is likely to quit after the world cup

TheParraboy

Staff member
Why open with an unproven Carey and demote Warner?

I don't mind the idea

We still have a bunch of ODI series before the world cup in 2019. Worth exploring someone uproven in the hope they become what we need. At the moment our batting is letting us down. Rather Warner down the order than having to do what we did by recalling White or god forbid Hodge.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah, yeah, I know. Wishful thinking on my behalf.

One of the best coaches in world cricket going around is Tom Moody. He applied for and did not get the India job, as Kohli wanted a more deferential coach in Shastri.

Does Tom not have aspirations to coach Australia? Does it not pay enough?

Anyway, his tactical nouse for SRH has been sublime, just controls the entire team through Warner as a captain at long on. He knows what is goling on in the cricket world outside Australia with all his commentary globally, for instance his player recruitment and selection included getting Mustafizur and Rashid Khan in past years. He is prepared to make tough calls too, he dropped Kane Williamson who was making runs to strengthen the bowling.

He's signed on to coach some team in Pakistan as well now. But he gets limited overs cricket as well as anyone and has a proven track record of success.

Just look at his Jan 19 tweet for how in tune he is:

"England playing with freedom like any settled sides does, Australia still scrambling to find their best combination which is stifling their ability to play without fear!"

Now who are players going to play better for? A coach who says I want you to smash it, and you have 5 games to prove that you can, if you score big and slow, I don't want you in my team.

Failing getting Tom, Punter seems like a very smart operator. His use of K Pandya, (Hardiks brother) has been rather inspired. He also believes in flexible batting orders, where players bat not due to the wickets fallen, but to the context of the match. He will use pinch hitters up the order at times, and cotton wool stars down the order who are struggling (like he did with Sharma).

I mean thats why teams hire coraches isn't it? To make some less obvious decisions and to get them right more often than the guy who didn't get the job would.

For the record, both these coaches won the last 2 IPL's - so have a very good recent track record of success outside of Australia.

Last edited:

Latest posts