What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: England v India @ The Oval Sep 2-6 2021

TheParraboy

Staff member
Starts Thursday 8pm

Side question - Poms don't have D/N tests?

While Root is piling on the runs, Kholi is going in the other direction this year
2021 - 8 tests 353 runs at 27.15

In England 14 tests, 908 runs , ave 33.62

TheParraboy

Staff member
Happy birthday Ishant

220941.jpg

TheParraboy

Staff member
Day 1 - stumps
India all out 191
Poms 3/53

King Kholi 50, Root a rare failure 21

Shardul Thakur 57 off 36 balls, batting at 8

Take that Woakes, lets see you do better

JJ

Immortal
English commentary is always much better especially in tests - Benaud aside, but of course he was very much like the English in his approach, and fitted in seamlessly there

TheParraboy

Staff member
It just "works".

The commentary suits the sport.... they don't try to make it "more exciting", or anything like that, which can sound forced. Leave that for the big bash with "maximums" and all that talk.

Understand the covid times now may not be as easy, but for the life of me dont know why we havent had more of them over here other than a cameo pom for the ashes (I dont include Mark Nicolas, who was more of a host)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
7 have almost got it right, Ponting and Katich analysis is excellent and I like Mel McLachlan and Alison Mitchell and can tolerate the boring old fart Tim Lane.

They need to flick Brayshaw, Slater and Fleming as they are absolute flogs.

I was saying to a mate too many ex cricketers and footy players just waltz in to commentary with their matey banter etc.

Just cause I never played a test or odi doesn’t mean I don’t understand what is going on. In fact, far more pundits can see the tactics going awry way before the commentary clowns figure out bowling bumpers at the tail Enders is a waste

Some insight and understanding is good but there are people with plenty of knowledge who can call matches. Far better than some of the shite 9/7 have dished up over the past decade.

Atherton should be on Fox out here. He’s a gun.

TheParraboy

Staff member
7 have almost got it right, Ponting and Katich analysis is excellent and I like Mel McLachlan and Alison Mitchell and can tolerate the boring old fart Tim Lane.

They need to flick Brayshaw, Slater and Fleming as they are absolute flogs.

Didnt realIse the Kat was on the 7 team

Unfortunately Brayshaw, Slater and Flemming get too much air time for me to tune in seriously

I was saying to a mate too many ex cricketers and footy players just waltz in to commentary with their matey banter etc.

Just cause I never played a test or odi doesn’t mean I don’t understand what is going on. In fact, far more pundits can see the tactics going awry way before the commentary clowns figure out bowling bumpers at the tail Enders is a waste

Some insight and understanding is good but there are people with plenty of knowledge who can call matches. Far better than some of the shite 9/7 have dished up over the past decade.

I think they want ex-players commentating cause the audience identifies with them and they think they get a larger viewership than if it was a nobody (maybe they have done feasibility studies to confirm this?)

An example....

Who does the audience want to hear?

AlwaysGreen talking about the Raiders season

Or Phil Gould ?

Id be in the vast minority that would prefer AG

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
@TheParraboy and friends:

Raiders are bald bludgers, our outside backs are slower than a bus load of Victorians, our best half is a guy called Simple Jack. Our hooker is a bald cripple and our forward pack have lesbianistic tendencies. We have less depth than a puddle of piss. Our coach can't handle more than one texer at a time and is an angry little freak. The fans are hurtin in the sheds. It's bloody freezing in Canberra. No one has posted in the LU Canberra forum since 1874.

We make Parramatta look like a well drilled football club and team.

And waznthegreat hasn't put out since his name/sex change.

Bazal

Post Whore

Yeah agreed but their reputation is a big advantage that gets them in the door, and fans are attracted to big names.

There is nothing more ridiculous than the attitude you see (from both fans and a chunk of ex players) that you have to played a game at the elite level to understand it. Total horseshit.

Was it Grampa Chaps who made that exact comment in recent years, that someone had NFI cos they'd never played test cricket? Anyone can have a deep and clinical understanding of a game, that doesn't take any skill at all. Just an interest and a desire to learn about it. Hugely different from also having the talent to play it at the top level

Understand the covid times now may not be as easy, but for the life of me dont know why we havent had more of them over here other than a cameo pom for the ashes (I dont include Mark Nicolas, who was more of a host)

I really like Michael Vaughan. But Atherton and Gower are great. And Michael Holding too.

As for Warne.. thinking about it more..

Over here he’s got a few in the box who have tended to stroke his ego a bit… and then he can come across arrogant / know all etc. And on fox cricket he’s most definitely the biggest dog in the street..

But he’s more of a guest in England, with an established team of experts. So he doesn’t look to overwhelm things.

There was an example last night with the Dropped catch off Kohli in the slips where he talked of the dynamics of slips fielding, what being too close together can result in etc.. and even for me who’s followed n played the game for so long it was insightful… the bloke knows his stuff.

Matt Johns made an insightful point years ago about Victorian commentators.. he based the AFL fan one (mick?) on Brayshaw after encountering him. They can just come across with a certain cadence of that blokey, matey, insincere, jolly, “how good are we” type of tone.. Or in my opinion, like they are all in a Sportsbet Ad. Or a pissed uncle at the family bbq trying to be funny.

Brayshaw is South Australian but Victorian through and through.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I've not seen any cricket so far tonight but I can't imagine it's been as fascinating as this Mark Butcher lunchtime show.

Sure beats Slats and the Cricket Show....

Bazal

Post Whore
Shocked.

Not by the awful review from Bairstow - He's a daywalker, he cannot help being a shit human.

But Moeen Ali is at 8 instead of Lord Sir Christopher Woakes!

Latest posts