What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

I'm on the waiting list for a hip replacement, How has it been ?
It’s like they sliced open my leg, dislocated my hip, chiselled my old, deformed joint out and the banged a new one in!!

In all seriousness, thanks for asking. It sounds evasive and that has probably contributed to the swelling. But first class medical care (I did it privately in the north of England, I am sure you would get similar care in Oz whether private or public).

Feeling much better already almost a week out. Looking forward to being able to tie my shoelaces, and so not needing to look like a 5-year-old and wear slip-ins all the time!!

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It’s like they sliced open my leg, dislocated my hip, chiselled my old, deformed joint out and the banged a new one in!!

In all seriousness, thanks for asking. It sounds evasive and that has probably contributed to the swelling. But first class medical care (I did it privately in the north of England, I am sure you would get similar care in Oz whether private or public).

Feeling much better already almost a week out. Looking forward to being able to tie my shoelaces, and so not needing to look like a 5-year-old and wear slip-ins all the time!!

Thanks. I have a body riddled with arthritis. I can't work without a walker. So hoping it helps a little.

Thanks. I have a body riddled with arthritis. I can't work without a walker. So hoping it helps a little.
I imagine it will help Alice; I’m only a week in and still addressing the surgery, but very hopeful about where I will get to.

You’ll be skipping up the stairs to the new grandstand at Penrith with your new body parts; we have the technology, we can rebuild her!!

BxTom

Bench
I thought that I would throw a dark horse option in here that nobody seems to have considered - Jarome Luai.

Whino

Bench
Also IF Cleary is going to play both sides. We need more of a kicking game at 6

Definitely. You wouldn't want Cleary to get injured or HIA in the first 5 minutes and be caught short.
Whoever the 6 is you want them to step up if required.

betcats

Referee
Or 9 and 1 I'd trust Dyl to kick from time to time. No idea about Kenny

one thing I don’t understand is why every hooker doesn’t have at least one kick in their arsenal - kick to corner from 50 metres out, it’s so hard to stop if a hooker does it right and can a big momentum swing and takes pressure of halves. Doesn’t have to be perfect just make sure it doesn’t go dead. Practice that one kick half an hour a day and surely any booker can get it, do it on 3rd or 4th so the wingers aren’t back.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
one thing I don’t understand is why every hooker doesn’t have at least one kick in their arsenal - kick to corner from 50 metres out, it’s so hard to stop if a hooker does it right and can a big momentum swing and takes pressure of halves. Doesn’t have to be perfect just make sure it doesn’t go dead. Practice that one kick half an hour a day and surely any booker can get it, do it on 3rd or 4th so the wingers aren’t back.
Even Billy Walters the bum nailed a few in the GF

The Realist

Juniors
Part of the reason that I am starting to get annoyed with Luai is that he strung us along a little bit. Would have been great to know he wants to leave and chase the $$$ earlier so we could have had a chance to retain Cogger.

I also get a feeling that when he finally does leave there will be a few stories about how he was disgruntled with the club. We got a small snippet of that with Critta but once Luai is out, I am sure both of them and maybe even Leniu will have more to say.

It's quite telling that it's the Samoan Brotherhood - the players who we hoped would stick by the club they professed to love, and stick with each other and all the FTA jazz, are the ones leaving.

I am also not absolving the club from some of this. I get the sense that the FTA boys all felt like they were taken for granted to an extent. Critta alluded to this after speaking about his signing with the Dogs, about how he felt management didn't value him and he took the Tago and May deals as a shot against him. In the end he left the club of his mates that he loves - for around 50-100K more per season which isn't a big deal at all.

In saying all of the above though, I am glad we didn't get into a bidding war. Luai is not worth $1.2m for us, even factoring in all the cultural stuff and definitely not his on field performance. I think 2023 was his weakest year by far which was surprising given how good his 2022 was.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Part of the reason that I am starting to get annoyed with Luai is that he strung us along a little bit. Would have been great to know he wants to leave and chase the $$$ earlier so we could have had a chance to retain Cogger.

I also get a feeling that when he finally does leave there will be a few stories about how he was disgruntled with the club. We got a small snippet of that with Critta but once Luai is out, I am sure both of them and maybe even Leniu will have more to say.

It's quite telling that it's the Samoan Brotherhood - the players who we hoped would stick by the club they professed to love, and stick with each other and all the FTA jazz, are the ones leaving.

I am also not absolving the club from some of this. I get the sense that the FTA boys all felt like they were taken for granted to an extent. Critta alluded to this after speaking about his signing with the Dogs, about how he felt management didn't value him and he took the Tago and May deals as a shot against him. In the end he left the club of his mates that he loves - for around 50-100K more per season which isn't a big deal at all.

In saying all of the above though, I am glad we didn't get into a bidding war. Luai is not worth $1.2m for us, even factoring in all the cultural stuff and definitely not his on field performance. I think 2023 was his weakest year by far which was surprising given how good his 2022 was.
We got a better backup half than Cogger in Schnieder imo