What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

Girds89

Bench
Well you can't watch that last 20 mins and say he wasn't playing 5/8th and 7. I mean for the Critta try he actually got a pass from Cogger.

So he may of the been the kicker and did most of the organising but he benefitted from the space

So if that is how is going to play it will be very effective

That is the discussion what you want from a 6. I have said Cole looks my preference because he was a 7. Can play both sides so if he needs to go on the right side to end a set he can do it.

12 months though is a long time. Who we have at centre also needs to play apart. Someone like Garner will Cole doesn't work you need some spark

Cleary will be the 7. Ive said on here time and time again over the last 18 months luai should get into first receiver more and itll allow cleary more space out the back.

I repeatedly said it in last pre season.. so im not really shocked its worked. I wanted that for ages.

But just cause hes occasions getting the ball more at 2nd instead of first receiver more wont change the fact hell guide the team tound and do the majority of the kicking. Just means the 6 needs to get more involved.

I hope we see more of it this year and moving forward

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I never said they were... you didnt read the posts obviously.

Smug was talking about too being the most important player in the backline in the future.

I said it will be tago. Backline being 1-5
Hahahaha… I’m not stupid.

No one has ever called positions 1-5 a backline, that’s dumb. You can call it the “back 5” if you like.

Eitherway, Tago is a centre, therefore is not that important in our system.

betcats

Referee
I don’t think centres would be more important than a fullback, fullbacks do so much now that’s why they are one of the highest paid positions. That being said a gun centre can be super important, critta for example. His defence and his ability to came up with big time plays was super important for us across the last few years

Iamback

Coach
Cleary will be the 7. Ive said on here time and time again over the last 18 months luai should get into first receiver more and itll allow cleary more space out the back.

I repeatedly said it in last pre season.. so im not really shocked its worked. I wanted that for ages.

But just cause hes occasions getting the ball more at 2nd instead of first receiver more wont change the fact hell guide the team tound and do the majority of the kicking. Just means the 6 needs to get more involved.

I hope we see more of it this year and moving forward

Luai can only play on the left side. That is the issue with playing that role with him, That is one thing that opens up with him going

Girds89

Bench
Luai can only play on the left side. That is the issue with playing that role with him, That is one thing that opens up with him going

He plays 7 for samoa. Can play both sides.

Its just not what he does in our structure but that will change this year i think

Girds89

Bench
Hahahaha… I’m not stupid.

No one has ever called positions 1-5 a backline, that’s dumb. You can call it the “back 5” if you like.

Eitherway, Tago is a centre, therefore is not that important in our system.

Your good for a laugh

Iamback

Coach
He plays 7 for samoa. Can play both sides.

Its just not what he does in our structure but that will change this year i think

Yeah but he was left side. Milford right

Even when Cleary was out he still hung in his part of the field. That is why it is dumb to pay him so much

maple_69

Bench
The club wouldn’t have signed Cole to a long contract if they didn’t have big plans for him. Same goes for McLean, Henry and Iongi. Schneider and Laurie are guys that can plug a gap immediately and offer competition but it’s Cole’s role. He keeps our defensive line watertight, has the mongrel and toughness and reads the game incredibly well.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Cup spine lines up next year. Iongi, Laurie/Cole, Schneider, Luke with Sommerton in grade? Surely the heir apparent is in the 6, unless we want them in the NRL 14…

Whino

Bench
Here, foxsports.com.au looks at the three contenders to replace Luai in 2025 should he sign with the Tigers along with the potential targets Penrith could look at on the open market.

BRAD SCHNEIDER

They did it with Sean O’Sullivan and then with Jack Cogger. Have the Panthers done it again?

Maybe — and what makes the signing of former Raiders playmaker Brad Schneider even more exciting is the fact he is only 22 years old.

In other words, if Schneider makes the most of his opportunity at Penrith in the next two years it could very well be a long stay for the Hull KR halfback.

Schneider is one of many NRL players to make the switch to the Super League, although the fact he did it so young speaks volumes to how locked in he was on what he needed at that point of his career.

In Schneider’s case, it was a chance to not just develop his game but also his leadership in a more prominent role.

So, within a week of receiving a call from his manager he was on the plane to England.

“It’s probably one of the best things I’ve done,” the young playmaker, who only played one NRL game for the Raiders last season, told NCA Newswire.

“I definitely recommend it to other players, especially as a halfback and how young I was, to go straight in the team and be a leader helped grow my confidence massively.

“I think my leadership changed more than anything.

“I was straight into a team that needed a halfback, but there were two ways I could have gone about it.

“I could have been really quiet and just been there for the ride, but I said to myself that I’m here to do a job, so I took the opportunity with both hands.”

Schneider did just that from the outset, kicking the game-winning field goal in his debut for Hull KR and returns to the NRL with the kind of experience he simply would not have got playing in reserve grade for Canberra.

Of course, there is every chance Schneider could find himself back in the NSW Cup for the Panthers too but he has the versatility to push for a bench utility role right away.

Otherwise, both O’Sullivan and Cogger were quickly thrown into starting roles in the past two seasons and Schneider’s time playing in the Super League has him well prepared should injury strike again.

“The last two halfbacks that have been here have gone on to have success at other clubs,” Schneider said.

“And that’s down to the Panthers because their development here was great so they grew as players. That’s why I’m really keen to be here so I can learn from people like Nathan Cleary.

“I’m always shooting for the top 17, but at the moment I’m just really keen to learn from these guys and their system.

“That’s one of the things you’ve got to be open-minded to – playing anywhere in this team – and that’s something I’m more than happy to do.”

Whino

Bench
DAINE LAURIE

Laurie, who came up through the grades in Penrith’s SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup teams before making his NRL debut in 2020, is back at the foot of the mountains.

And if the Panthers are after a like-for-like replacement for Luai, Laurie is the obvious choice.

The 24-year-old played one game at fullback and three off the interchange for the Panthers in the latter stages of the 2020 season before suiting up at five-eighth for the Tigers in eight of his 49 games at the club.

Laurie, like Luai, is more of an instinctive playmaker who can play in and outside of structure, with a combination of speed and fancy footwork that makes him evasive in space.

Laurie’s size was his biggest drawback, regardless of whether he was playing fullback or five-eighth, impacting his ability to either make metres through contact or defend in the front line.

The latter would obviously be of greater concern for Penrith when it comes to Laurie’s prospects as the team’s long-term option in the halves, although given he has signed for just one year the Panthers aren’t locked into anything anyway.

What could be interesting is where Laurie figures should he start the season in reserve grade as opposed to playing a utility role off the bench.

Whino

Bench
Trent Toelau, who won Melbourne’s Under-20s Darren Bell medal for player of the year, impressed as Penrith’s first-choice halfback in the NSW Cup side last season.

Toelau himself could be a smoky of sorts if he continues to impress, having flashed his playmaking potential in 2023 and in particular his short passing game close to the line.

Toelau is on a train-and-trial deal for 2024 and if he maintains the starting halfback spot it would leave Jack Cole and Laurie fighting it out for the five-eighth jumper.

Cole could shift to the centres as he did at certain points in the 2023 season but that would mean denying him valuable experience playing in the halves, should the 20-year-old be part of Penrith’s future plan in the halves.

Laurie is obviously versatile himself and may well end up figuring somewhere else in the backline too, especially with the loss of Stephen Crichton seeing Sunia Turuva and Taylan May take on more prominent roles in Penrith’s first-grade side in 2024.

Whino

Bench
JACK COLE

The fact that Penrith will be able to keep Luai for another year before he potentially heads to the Tigers gives the club an extra season to see what they have in Cole.

The versatile 20-year-old, who was upgraded to Penrith’s NRL squad at the start of 2023, is an Orange CYMS junior and could well become the latest success story out of the club’s country contingent.

Cole has taken a long road — both figuratively and literally — to put himself in the position for this kind of opportunity, having often made the six-hour round trip from Orange to Penrith to join his teammates on a Friday afternoon for training while coming through the grades.
All of that is to say that Cole could be the latest rising star to emerge from Penrith’s production line, having fast improved since his first full season with the club in 2019 while playing in the Harold Matthews Cup.

Cole was selected for NSW’s Under-19s side in 2022 and capped off his standout season with an NRL debut against the Cowboys, later also named Jersey Flegg Cup Player of the Year.

Cole played a key role in Penrith’s premiership-winning Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup teams too, eventually making the transition to more of a full-time role in reserve grade in 2023.

There Cole, who initially played fullback in junior football before making the switch to the halves when he arrived at Penrith, also spent time in the centres.

Sound familiar? Dubbo product and now Bulldogs five-eighth Matt Burton followed a similar path and shares many similarities with Cole.
Both Cole and Burton never seemed too fazed or caught up in the moment while coming through the grades, taking the right option even if it isn’t necessarily the flashiest play.

Cole is also a strong defender and runner, which makes him an appealing option both in the centres and at five-eighth alongside Cleary, who obviously has a strong running game of his own but is more than capable of taking on the majority of the kicking duties.

Even if the Panthers don’t think Cole is quite ready to replace Luai right away it is not like they need to rush him in anyway.

The shrewd signings of O’Sullivan and Cogger in recent years prove Penrith can always fill the void in the short-term while giving a player like Cole a bit more time to develop his game in reserve grade.

But one more year may be all Cole needs anyway, especially given the way he has grown in confidence playing in a NSW Cup team at Penrith that is full of first grade experience.

Girds89

Bench
Trent Toelau, who won Melbourne’s Under-20s Darren Bell medal for player of the year, impressed as Penrith’s first-choice halfback in the NSW Cup side last season.

Toelau himself could be a smoky of sorts if he continues to impress, having flashed his playmaking potential in 2023 and in particular his short passing game close to the line.

Toelau is on a train-and-trial deal for 2024 and if he maintains the starting halfback spot it would leave Jack Cole and Laurie fighting it out for the five-eighth jumper.

Cole could shift to the centres as he did at certain points in the 2023 season but that would mean denying him valuable experience playing in the halves, should the 20-year-old be part of Penrith’s future plan in the halves.

Laurie is obviously versatile himself and may well end up figuring somewhere else in the backline too, especially with the loss of Stephen Crichton seeing Sunia Turuva and Taylan May take on more prominent roles in Penrith’s first-grade side in 2024.

Yep trent is the smokey for me. He looks quality. Has a real touch of class about him

Yep trent is the smokey for me. He looks quality. Has a real touch of class about him
I’ve read snippets about Jett Cleary. Would some of the people in the know talk us through some of the pertinent points; how talented, age, how does he play, is his jaw like his brothers? You know, the important stuff.

Edit; rereading this it sounds very demanding. Had a hip replacement last Wednesday and must be getting used to just ringing my bell and getting people to do stuff for me…

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’ve read snippets about Jett Cleary. Would some of the people in the know talk us through some of the pertinent points; how talented, age, how does he play, is his jaw like his brothers? You know, the important stuff.

Edit; rereading this it sounds very demanding. Had a hip replacement last Wednesday and must be getting used to just ringing my bell and getting people to do stuff for me…

I'm on the waiting list for a hip replacement, How has it been ?

Latest posts