What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 day turn arounds

Red Bear

Referee
Having footy every day except tuesday, wednesday, increasing the amount of 5 day turn arounds, is no good for the comp. When sides get back to back ones (as manly did a couple of weeks ago) it is even worse. Brisbane are getting a nice little booster (not their fault, but noticeable) with having consistant turn around time between each week, whilst other clubs are having regular 5 day turn arounds or getting three games in Qld in a row, as the Dragons presently are.

I think generally the footy has been better this season, but the fixture is a bit shit, and is burning out teams quick smart. They should've canned Monday footy early or waited a year for thursday games.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Having footy every day except tuesday, wednesday, increasing the amount of 5 day turn arounds, is no good for the comp. When sides get back to back ones (as manly did a couple of weeks ago) it is even worse. Brisbane are getting a nice little booster (not their fault, but noticeable) with having consistant turn around time between each week, whilst other clubs are having regular 5 day turn arounds or getting three games in Qld in a row, as the Dragons presently are.

I think generally the footy has been better this season, but the fixture is a bit shit, and is burning out teams quick smart. They should've canned Monday footy early or waited a year for thursday games.

Didn't the Broncos have the equal most 5 day turn arounds last year and still made the GF?

Nightward

Juniors
Didn't the Broncos have the equal most 5 day turn arounds last year and still made the GF?

Something like that, yes.

5-day turn-arounds and the like don't bother me that much, at least in theory. The problem in practice is that not every side is as effected by them. This can arguably advantage or disadvantage teams and if they are going to implement it they need to schedule the draw such that each team gets the same number of Monday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday games across the season.

I would prefer to return to 2 Friday, 3 Saturday, 3 Sunday model but as long as 9 holds the purse strings that will never happen.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If I remember correctly the broncos got hammered with a lot of 5 day turnarounds during origin last year. It seemed like nine alternated them between Friday and Sunday during origin. Probably because ratings are bad lol.

So long as its fairly handled I've got no real issue with it (besides the higher chance of injury) I'm just not a huge fan of mnf regardless.

Obviously it will depend on conditions. I think 5 day turnarounds hurt more in the early part of the season. Penrith had to back up from a horrendous condition game in Canberra and got run over by the dogs

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors

5-day turn-arounds and the like don't bother me that much, at least in theory. The problem in practice is that not every side is as effected by them. This can arguably advantage or disadvantage teams and if they are going to implement it they need to schedule the draw such that each team gets the same number of Monday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday games across the season.

I would prefer to return to 2 Friday, 3 Saturday, 3 Sunday model but as long as 9 holds the purse strings that will never happen.

So who do you play for? How many 5 day turnarounds have you had this year. And how much prep do you get in in those 5 days? Injury recovery? That all good? Was the team your playing coming off a longer rest?

Jesus. You blokes think they are robots. It takes a toll.

Don't know what your watching but this is a brutal sport, it takes a while to recovery from a game. If you play Sunday you aren't good Monday, or even Tuesday. Maybe ok Wednesday. Fully recovered by Friday. But you've got to front up Thursday for another game. Woot.

some11

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ams-chances-figures-show-20160409-go2f6s.html

[FONT=&quot]The dreaded five-day turnarounds, the scourge of the modern game, will only reduce the chances of those affected by them winning any given fixture by 5 per cent.

There has been an outcry about short breaks between games amid fears fatigue and injury will conspire against those clubs affected. However, there has been precious little data to determine whether these claims can be substantiated. Until now.

Fairfax Media commissioned statistics provider Champion Data to crunch the numbers for all games since 2014 to determine whether backing up from the short break affected your chances of singing the team song the following week. The study, which covered a period of 96 NRL matches, shows that teams coming off a five-day break were a 45 per cent chance of winning their next game. The Wests Tigers fared the worst, winning just two of their 11 games in such circumstances, while the Broncos won all six of theirs.[/FONT]

9tgzxC4.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The stats mirror a similar study conducted by Vincent Kelly, conjoint associate lecturer at the University of Queensland's school of human movement and nutrition sciences. Kelly was South Sydney's head strength and conditioning coach from 2006 to 2009 at a time when the foundation club was lumped with a plethora of five-day turnarounds. Wanting to know if this put the Rabbitohs at a disadvantage, Kelly began his own investigations. The most recent, which looked at 768 NRL matches, mirrored Champion Data's findings - that you went from a 50 per cent chance of winning to about 45 per cent.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kelly's latest study, which will be presented at an Exercise and Sports Science Australia conference in Melbourne next week - looked at nine factors that influence any side's chances of winning. When all were factored in, game turnaround time came in at eighth spot as an influencing factor, behind, in order, playing away [including travel]; your opponent's position on the ladder; total game experience of your team; where your opponents finished last year; current opposition ladder position; number of team changes from the previous week; and whether you were playing at home or away. Only the number of first-year players in your team, in ninth spot, had less impact on your chances than game turnaround time.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"My anecdotal take on that is the players tend to look after themselves a bit more after a five-day turnaround," Kelly said.

"If you're in the dressing room and the coach says,'We're playing in five days' time', you tend to look after yourselves and not go out. If it's a nine-day turnaround they become a bit more lax about it because they have a couple of [extra] days off.

"There's published work now that shows the physiological markers are not really different."

While acknowledging short turnarounds had a small impact on the chances of success, Kelly believes their impact is grossly overstated.

"It's a furphy around short turnarounds that is coach driven, media driven and not a real factor in a win or loss," he said.

"Days between matches isn't a major factor in determining a win or a loss.

"If Manly, who have been loud about it this year, looked at the games they had to play away against the Cowboys, Storm and Warriors, what they would probably find is their winning percentage is lower than 45 per cent. There are other factors bigger than five-day turnarounds but you don't hear them saying, 'Gee, that flight to Auckland put us at a disadvantage.' "

Kelly pointed to a paper, written by Nick Murray, Tim Gabbett and Karim Chamari, that showed there was no discernible difference in injury rates regardless of how many days between NRL matches.

The NRL has targeted a 25 per cent reduction in five-day turnarounds for 2017 and hopes that figure will again reduce much further the following year when the governing body gains full control of the draw.

To offset those teams currently affected, the Rugby League Players' Association has successfully lobbied for the NRL to provide affected teams with extra funding for massages, camps away and airline upgrades.

Few understand the tension between the needs of the players and broadcasters better than David Gyngell. Gyngell was the boss of Nine when the network negotiated the biggest free-to-air television deal in the game's history. With Nine broadcasting games on Thursday nights - resulting in games being scheduled on five consecutive days of the week - the result is some teams will have shorter turnaround times than others. Gyngell is now on the other side of the fence, as a member of the RLPA's newly created advisory board.

"Five-day turnarounds leave a lot to be desired," Gyngell said.

[FONT=&quot]"They're not here to stay, the way the schedule and the rights work ... it's a blip now rather than something we should be marching through the streets on."[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

some11

Referee
I thought the Broncos could only win with seven day turnarounds every week.

Suck it up.

mave

Coach
I can accept the fact that the draw requires some 5 day turnarounds.
But i find it completely unacceptable that some teams get lumbered with this over and over again, whilst others don't.

This is not a level playing field.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The players are just f**king precious and routine driven machines

They like to go to the same pool on Mondays

Go to same cafe on tuesday

Like to send an Instagram on Wednesdays

Like to travel Thursday

Just suck it up girls .. Go talk to an a league team who have to travel to Japan mid week

--Storm--

Juniors
I thought the Broncos could only win with seven day turnarounds every week.

Suck it up.

Most those for the Broncos would have been a Sunday game followed by a Friday NIGHT game, night games are much easier on them, plus they Benifit from a lot of longer turn arounds.

pHyR3

Juniors

I think thursday works fine, the issue is having thursday AND monday.

the NRL still needs money and having 2 on friday doesn't maximise viewers at all.

personally id have

1 Thurs
1 Friday
2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm on saturday
2pm and 4pm on sunday with room to add a 6pm on sunday if we expand to 18 teams.

pHyR3

Juniors
that article makes perfect sense. best conditioning and facilities in the comp? broncos. 6/6 on 5 day turn arounds. and theyve obviously been a strong team too

arguably one of the worst facilities in the comp, and until recently pretty shoddy conditioning? tigers. 2/11

and overall its 45% so a moderate drop in win % from what is expected to be 50% otherwise.

Red Bear

Referee
This wasn't attacking the broncos per se (they don't set the draw), just feels like an early season advantage they're benficiaries of. Have a better routine than most clubs would.

And reduced interchange this year compared to 2014/15 makes it a flawed comparrison also. More teams with 5 day turn arounds and less interchange is adding up.

So Penrith lost round two after having a 5 day break (following a 35 degree day) (Canterbury had 6 days)

Roosters lost round 3 (5 days, travel to FNQ, although obvious class diference between two squads, cowboys had a week). Tigers lost to the Titans coming off 5 days this round also (Titans had 6 days).

Round Four Souths got hammered by Canterbury off 5 days (Bulldogs had a week). Manly won, just, against the Chooks

Round 5 Manly, second 5 day turn around in a row, got beaten by Souths (who had 6 days). Melb - Newcastle and Sharks - Tigers were both teams on 5 day turn arounds, so one had to win. Storm/Knights game was dire though.

Now round 6 coming off Monday night the Raiders were hammered yesterday. Dragons off 5 days (also travelling to NQ and beng crap) got beaten in a low quality game. Roosters did beat Souths though off short rest.

Teams basically look wrecked off these short turn arounds, and the quality is lower which is frustrating as a fan. It's not hit sides evenly at all.

And there's issues with the draw in general - who signed off on Dragons having three games in a row in Qld. You shouldn't really go through three away games in a row (unless requested for stadium improvement or something), let alone interstate.

Fortunately this issue will be partly solved next season with no monday footy.

redvscotty

First Grade
The reason why it doesn't affect the Broncos so much is because they're massively over the celery cap.

some11

Referee
Most those for the Broncos would have been a Sunday game followed by a Friday NIGHT game, night games are much easier on them, plus they Benifit from a lot of longer turn arounds.

*benefit

And that doesn't make any sense but I'll give you a point for trying.

It makes sense if Broncos have the best recovery facilities. They would've put systems in place due to being heavily effected by State of Origin for so many years. Fielding nearly a full Qld rep side and staying under the cap for so many years is their other great achievement.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

I'm buggered if I can see 9 games for the Bronco's with 5 day turnarounds in the 2014 & 2015 seasons. But maybe its Monday morningitis and I am just blind.

Of the 5 games I could see, they beat the Titans twice, Newcastle, Warriors and Souffs.

Happy to be shown the other 4 games with a 5 day turnaround to see who they played there.

Point being - all wonderful to have stats on played and lost, but when you beat pretty much the worst 2 teams in the comp over those 2 seasons in 3 of the 5 games, the figures can be somewhat flattering.

Latest posts