What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th ODI: Australia v England at Perth (Optus Stadium) on Jan 28, 2018 - England won series 4-1

King hit

Coach
Really excited to see how the new stadium there looks and sounds like on TV. I've seen the stadium from the outside and it looks great.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
3 - 2 will show a few things.

1. Series need to have a point. Once England went up 3 zip what did they have to play for besides the cliche 'every game is important when you're playing for your country'. Hopefully the ICC has got its act together and now every game played counts towards qualifying for the world cup.

2. It will show that the gap between the two teams isn't as wide as some would say. Australia have definitely slipped behind England, nz, india and SA but if they play to their strengths (bowlers) rather than just copy what England does there's a chance we'll catch up although we've got a helluva lotta work to do.

3. It shows that England's gung ho batting is susceptible to collapse. Pakistan and SA have both demonstrated that previously and Australia again in Adelaide.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
3 - 2 will show a few things.

1. Series need to have a point. Once England went up 3 zip what did they have to play for besides the cliche 'every game is important when you're playing for your country'. Hopefully the ICC has got its act together and now every game played counts towards qualifying for the world cup.

That has long been the case and with the rise of Bangladesh, has already caused WI to miss the last Champions Trophy as being ranked too low.

There is qualifying tournament for the next world cup on soon in Zimbabwe, where there are only 2 spots for lowly ranked Zimbabwe, WI and Afghanistan to qualify.

. https://www.icc-cricket.com/about/cricket/icc-rankings/team-rankings

But I doubt Cricket Australia really foresee their team sliding down to these depths anytime soon.

If a team can consistently remain ranked above 8, it doesn't have these issues. But Bangladesh, WI, Afg and Zimbabwe, that is not always been the case of late. Bangladesh seem fine now, but Sri Lanka look to be on the road to having problems soon.

TheParraboy

Staff member
What's 2-3? A moral victory???

Distinctly un-Australian!!!

Poms yapping they were going for a clean sweep, and get us on Australia Day, at 5/8 that was hilarious.

2-3 certainly looks better than 0-5

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Poms yapping they were going for a clean sweep, and get us on Australia Day, at 5/8 that was hilarious.

2-3 certainly looks better than 0-5

2-3 does look better, but when the 7th Aussie wicket fell, I don't think too many Aussies were laughing at how England were 5/8.

Seriously, how good is Woakes with the bat? He'd be who I want at 8 in a current odi World XI with Shakib up higher. May fit Stokes in, may not.

Last edited:
TBF in regards to the ICC WC, there is no reason for England, India, WI, SL, Pakistan, Bangladesh, SA, NZ or Australia to ever miss out, no matter their form.

If and when Afghanistan get to Test level, they go to.

At present It's 9 teams. Play 12, 14 or 16 teams allows 3, 5 or 7 non test qualifiers.

It's not like 110 countries fighting to get in to 32 spots. And they play associate World Cup qualifiers Cup anyway to get in to main World Cup.

I don't know what more people want but let's be real, if India or Australia or England or NZ miss a World Cup cause they're 9th, it's a bit of bullshit in my eyes.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
2-3 does look better, but when the 7th Aussie wicket fell, I don't think too many Aussies were laughing at how England were 5/8.

Seriously, how good is Woakes with the bat? He'd be who I want at 8 in a current odi World XI with Shakib up higher. May fit Stokes in, may not.
Woakes would be a handy cricketer if he could bowl.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Woakes would be a handy cricketer if he could bowl.

He goes for 5.57 ER bowling a lot of death overs at 31.87 (SR 34.1). While that may not look as fancy as Pat Cummins at 5.38 at 28 (SR 31.6), Pat Cummins averages 12 with the bat striking at 72.

I know who I'd rather have in my ODI XI.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He goes for 5.57 ER bowling a lot of death overs at 31.87 (SR 34.1). While that may not look as fancy as Pat Cummins at 5.38 at 28 (SR 31.6), Pat Cummins averages 12 with the bat striking at 72.

I know who I'd rather have in my ODI XI.
Yeah not Woakes.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Good for you.

He’s a pie thrower, I wouldn’t have Cummins in either.

We seem to have differing views of the number 8's role.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/odi/bowling

Of those odi bowlers ranked ahead of Woakes in 14th place on the icc form guide, none of them bat as well as him. And I would think Nabi and Shakib both is a lil unnecessary.

I think runs matters at number 8, especially in ODI. You seem to care less for it. That's fine, its your philosophy. But I do remember when Faulkner was winning a stack of games (and pulling the games back into being contests) for Australia with the bat. Holder for the WI is often their top scorer. So, Woake's role is hardly novel, just he's executing the best doing it at present imo.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We seem to have differing views of the number 8's role.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/odi/bowling

Of those odi bowlers ranked ahead of Woakes in 14th place on the icc form guide, none of them bat as well as him. And I would think Nabi and Shakib both is a lil unnecessary.

I think runs matters at number 8, especially in ODI. You seem to care less for it. That's fine, its your philosophy. But I do remember when Faulkner was winning a stack of games (and pulling the games back into being contests) for Australia with the bat. Woake's role is hardly novel, just he's executing the best doing it at present.
Ummmmm how about a novel idea and picking the best 4 bowlers????

It’s a world side Woakes batting shouldn’t even come into it.