What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Again Rule

possm

Coach
I'm of the opinion that the 6 again rule is causing players too much fatigue and contributing to the high injury toll this season. After giving it some thought, I sugest the rule be adjusted:
  • Instead of restarting hte tackle cout with 6 more tackles, the ref should add two additional tackles to the current set, essentially turning the set into an eight tackle set. i.e.
  1. If the tackle count is at the third tackle, then there is still five tackles to go.
  2. If the tackle count is at the fifth tackle, then there is 3 tackles to go.
Under the current rule there is the possibility of a twelve tackle set being awarded, which in my opinion, is problematic.

Prior to the introduction of this rule, kicking the ball dead and giving away a 7 tackle set was considered a big advantage to the opposition.

Last edited:

Tuddy

Juniors
We are also seeing a lot of rubbish in the first tackle now, changing it from six again to an extra two or even three tackles would negate this.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
i just want the referee from yesterdays game explain how one team did not hold down the opposition too long, be offside, not straight at marker etc just once in 80 minutes yet the opposition 'away' team managed 8 of them - most of them at very convenient times for the home team.

Id also appreciate it if the bunker dude was to demonstrate how Kerr's touch actually went forward rather than maintaining its original path - which was exactly where Lomax was expecting it to be....at that speed if the ball was deflected at all then Lomax wouldve struggled to take it as cleanly as he did.

Also isnt there some limit on the amount of time that passes before the bunker wakes up? Lomax was about to kick the conversion ffs.

As ive said on here before we will have to wait until the bunker do this sort of thing to the Roosters or the Storm before this silliness is put to an end.

I agree in principle about the 2 tackles added to the count, but I doubt the referees will be able to handle the math.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not just the fact that at times the 6 again rule is a pain in the arse if they are going to persist with it at least when they flash up on the screen that the 6 again has started at least they could flash up beside it what the infringement was for....with todays technology surely its just a matter of hitting buttons

blacksafake

First Grade
It drives me mad & is at the whims of the refs & some of them can’t call it quick enough & too often.
You’re none the wiser when they do call it.
It makes you wonder why there weren’t so many penalties before this rule was introduced.
I think the nrl will tinker with the rule or at least tell the refs to ease up.
I’d like to see the team receiving the six again have the option of a penalty.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm just wondering that with these new rules this year that, as well as the introduction of the 18th man, the NRL increase the number of bench interchanges so that the players don't suffer from fatigue. I know that the rules are designed to make the game faster but as Ben Hunt has said, the rules bring on more injuries because the game is too fast and the players are tiring which results in injuries.

BLM01

First Grade
I'm just wondering that with these new rules this year that, as well as the introduction of the 18th man, the NRL increase the number of bench interchanges so that the players don't suffer from fatigue. I know that the rules are designed to make the game faster but as Ben Hunt has said, the rules bring on more injuries because the game is too fast and the players are tiring which results in injuries.

I dont buy any of that the so called injury tolls are because of the supposed new rules or less stopages.
Most of the head knocks or HIA or from poor technique not bending backs or standing up grabbing in tackles.
Lot of other injuries are from 3 man tackles - 3rd in etc where refs take too long to call held giving too much time for teams to wrestle
Crushers come from players purposely backing into defences
Some surfaces after all the rain were a bit soft under foot with lower limbs getting caught
Of course with fatigue players lose technique etc which lead to injuries but that has happened since 1908 and for years as these players are so fit and tightly wound with muscle and power / speed of course there will be impact injuries which has increased over past 20 years and hammy's under pressure
The injury toll after Round 1 was not significant, so it should happen like that every round.
Why did 10 teams from the weekend have no real injuries to speak of excluding HIA?
Knights, Cronulla, Manly, Warriors, Titans & Dogs are the only ones for injuries apart from some head knocks

BLM01

First Grade
I am just worried with the NRL and their stats with Annesley and monitoring of game blowouts saying it is not good results for the game that they strive for tight games and a competition etc..

they just might ask refs to assist in achieving that before bowing and tampering again to broadcasters demands of a good TV product and whining commentators and journos who are paid to debate anything with their agendas

rasaint

Juniors
I’ll weigh in and say that some refs heavily use this 6 again as happened in the apparent 8 to 1 lop sided count against us against the knights. I hate the ‘ righteous versus sinners’ approach with one team getting regular advantage including late count 6gains, whilst the sinners get nothing or very little. All a bit suspicious. We all know including the refs that you could find a 6 again in nearly every tackle/ play the ball.

Because it’s so seamless, the fans don’t know the reason for the 6 again call and therefore comparison of the other teams tactics during the game can not be assessed properly. Of course this breeds suspicions of bias and other sorts of conspiracy theories? A couple of the 6 agains against us seemed to be awarded very quickly and were soft in the knights game. I gather this is address in submissions to the ref appointments person.

yet the week before against Manly ( from memory?) the ref used it sparingly and neither team got a lop sided advantage or disadvantage.

giboz71

First Grade
I get why the rule was introduced to stop teams slowing the play the ball, wrestling etc to speed up the game etc etc.

Think it just goes too far when it includes inside the 10. And the ref never calls why a 6 again is given so we're all confused.

I remember a few years back they tried to address this by blowing excessive penalties, and everyone blew up, so they scrapped it. They should have just stayed the course and cheating teams like the Storm who wrestle and hold down would be penalised out of contests.

As usual, when the going gets tough, the NRL just give up. Par for course and now we have a stupid rule to replace it.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
I get why the rule was introduced to stop teams slowing the play the ball, wrestling etc to speed up the game etc etc.

Think it just goes too far when it includes inside the 10. And the ref never calls why a 6 again is given so we're all confused.

I remember a few years back they tried to address this by blowing excessive penalties, and everyone blew up, so they scrapped it. They should have just stayed the course and cheating teams like the Storm who wrestle and hold down would be penalised out of contests.

As usual, when the going gets tough, the NRL just give up. Par for course and now we have a stupid rule to replace it.

The 6 again call is so arbitrary and vague. There must be some middle ground to speed up the game without confusing the f**k out of everyone.

BLM01

First Grade

Bring all the rules back that they have just decide to let go because I couldn’t be bothered policing in properly
eg. voluntary tackles, walking off the mark, holding on to markers, Blatant forward passes, Continue wrestling, dragging or moving a held player yep the lot of it!
Refs applying commonsense and having a feel for the game
yep blow the P out of the whistle it will quickly stop as teams will want to start conforming and bin them for repeat infringements
That what they used to do

2010Dragons

Bench
i just want the referee from yesterdays game explain how one team did not hold down the opposition too long, be offside, not straight at marker etc just once in 80 minutes yet the opposition 'away' team managed 8 of them - most of them at very convenient times for the home team.

Id also appreciate it if the bunker dude was to demonstrate how Kerr's touch actually went forward rather than maintaining its original path - which was exactly where Lomax was expecting it to be....at that speed if the ball was deflected at all then Lomax wouldve struggled to take it as cleanly as he did.

Also isnt there some limit on the amount of time that passes before the bunker wakes up? Lomax was about to kick the conversion ffs.

As ive said on here before we will have to wait until the bunker do this sort of thing to the Roosters or the Storm before this silliness is put to an end.

I agree in principle about the 2 tackles added to the count, but I doubt the referees will be able to handle the math.
Referee Peter gough

Referee Peter Gough and bunker official Steve chiddy are the most incompetent referees I had had the misfortune to witness. Gough and Chiddy ripped us off in the sharks game when Ramsey scored and both these idiots did the exact same thing in the knights game when ravalava scored a legitimate try. Are these two incompetent fools bias or corrupt or just shit useless merkins?
Every game these two clowns have officiated their has always been dodgy calls against the Dragons. Coincidence or corrupt or incompetent?
This week Peter Gough has been demoted to touch judge this week. Looks like the new referee boss maxwell has spotted what we all have noticed.
Seriously Gough couldn’t even referee at park or junior football, how the f**k did he get to the NRL?
Mark my words he will destroy a teams chances of winning a game.

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
I’ve been thinking that maybe we are using the 6 again rule, to slow down the ruck as a game plan. We take the risk of 6 again and bet on our defence to stay solid. I find it hard to believe all our guys are all doing this suddenly....