What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90s or 00s which generation was better?

Homo man69

Juniors
During the 90s. I remember thinking that we will never see this amount players. Playing at such a high standard. I still believe this. The 00s seemed to have better individual players. I just think 90s had more.

T-Boon

Coach
If you mean the spectacle of the game play then the 90s without a doubt. The attack was a lot prettier.

Some time in the early 90s the coaches worked out how to attack under a ten metre rule (you had lots of offloads and you still had chip kicks and risk taking of that nature) but had not really worked out how to defend with efficiency under the ten metre rule. The wrestle is a 00 decade monster. I think "structure and completions" (zero risk football) is a late 00s early 10's monstrosity.

If you mean which decade produced better players I again say the 90s, though I havent really looked at a list of star players or anything.

A bit hard to say as we had unlimited interchange from 1996 through to and including 2000, which in my opinion skewed some performances in the late 90s.

Matua

Bench
I think it might come down in part to how the specific fan was in that era. In the 90s I watched every NRL/Winfield Cup/whatever it was called match religiously, (and in NZ we had every match live on Sky), and the Warriors were just new in the game so I still followed lots of other teams (basically any team with a bunch of NZers) and we had midweek sport with Origin.

By the 00s I had other stuff going on with my life (no longer a student), the Warriors had been around long enough to be a focus, Origin started overtaking the game (and I started being less interested in Origin) and I found I increasingly knew less of the players.

So for me it's the 90s, but probably for those reasons alone, but the 90s topline players roll off my tongue, the 00s don't (besides the real big name ones).

hattori hanzo

Juniors
The players right now are twice the athletes they have ever been. I like the 90's for nostalgic reasons but the quality of football was better in the 00's compared to the 90's.
The rule changes of this decade like shoulder charge ban, and the punch rule coupled with the low risk coaching and media scutiny has detracted from the game as a product of entertainment in recent times.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I’d say there are less plodders in the 00s than then 90s which would help the mean average for quality. Fortunately some of the rosters we had in the late 90s as well as some of the lineups west magpies and Souffs had haven’t been matched in the following decades since.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The players right now are twice the athletes they have ever been. I like the 90's for nostalgic reasons but the quality of football was better in the 00's compared to the 90's.
The rule changes of this decade like shoulder charge ban, and the punch rule coupled with the low risk coaching and media scutiny has detracted from the game as a product of entertainment in recent times.
yeah Bradley Clyde would just be over run.....

punk.

T-Boon

Coach
The only thing the 90’s has over the 2k’s is jersey design.

90s certainly had better jerseys.
They also had more/better RL skills like chip kicking, leg tackles (Langer even use to put in mid field grubbers), there was more kicking skill variety generally.
90s backline moves involved things other than decoy running. Like just a deep swift backline move.
In the 90s there was a lot less forward passes especially from dummy half.
You had little guys like Langer in the 90s.
You use to see line breaks in the 90s.
Pre "structure" you sort of never knew what was coming next. How long since you could say that?

beave

Coach
They also had more/better RL skills like chip kicking, leg tackles (Langer even use to put in mid field grubber), there was more kicking skill variety generally.
90s backline moves involved things other than decoy running. Like just a deep swift backline move.
In the 90s there was a lot less forward passes especially from dummy half.
You had little guys like Langer in the 90s.
You use to see line breaks in the 90s.

Again, you have rose coloured glasses.

watch the passing ability of the halves, especially early 90’s, they couldn’t pass to their right let along a spiral to their right. Half the time Wally Lewis would have to stop and pivot anti clockwise to throw a ball to his right with any power.

Ricky Stuart was about the only one that was proficient both sides when passing.

firechild

First Grade
They also had more/better RL skills like chip kicking, leg tackles (Langer even use to put in mid field grubbers),

Pffft... Glen Stewart put in a gubber in his own half in the 2011 gf. These things still happen.

Some amazing sides in the 90s (Manly, Brisbane, Canberra, St George, Canterbury) but the gap between the top and bottom sides was so much bigger. I loved the 90s but it's nostalgia and the fact that my team was one that did well. There are definitely elements of the game that were better but that's also helped by the fact that we didn't have a million cameras with so many replays so we didn't dwell on ref mistakes.

Latest posts