What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

92 broncos best club team ive seen. what is yours?

hrundi99

First Grade
I think it's a combination of results, team combination, and individual talent.

Mullins
Meninga
Daley
Stuart
Clyde
Walters

Are amongst the best ever.

legend

Coach
I think Ruben is as well. His tature over the last few seasons has grown enormously and IMO is the hardest forward in the NRL and one of the Raiders best ever.

miccle

Bench
Roosterphin said:
All this thread does is illustrate taht the people who frequent here are 15 year old kids.

Wow - pretty good effort if they knew a lot about the 94 raiders - being 5 at the time and all.

And who cares really? I'm only 19 but imo there has been some sensational teams since about 1990, which is when i can remember them from.

Roosterphin

Juniors
miccle said:
Roosterphin said:
All this thread does is illustrate taht the people who frequent here are 15 year old kids.

Wow - pretty good effort if they knew a lot about the 94 raiders - being 5 at the time and all.

And who cares really? I'm only 19 but imo there has been some sensational teams since about 1990, which is when i can remember them from.

I was kidding

blaine train

Juniors

No way are any of those sides close to the 75 Roosters or the early 80's Parra team

read the title again

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Manly 95/96 - Dominated the premiership untill they choked (with help from the ref) in 95. Dominated the 96 in the same if not larger degree and made St.George look like schoolboys in the GF. Side was littered with Internationals and SOO players.

1- Matthew Ridge - Kiwi international, one of the best fullbacks, kickers of the modern era.
2 - Danny Moore
3 - Craig Innes
4 - Terry Hill - SOO and Test player on a number of occassions.
5- John Hopoate - Several SOO series
6- Cliff Lyons - One of the greatest 5/8's of all time, countless tests for Australia.
7 - Geoff Toovey - A heap of SOO and tests, one of the best "little men" of the modern era and a fantastic captain, I doubt if you could fine a tougher man.
8- David Gillespie - SOO and Test player
9- Jim Sedaris
10-Mark Carroll - SOO and Test player and one of the best front rowers of the past 15 years, who can forget his battles with Chief?
11- Steve Menzies - SOO and Test player, set to break to alltime top tryscoring record for a forward this year.
12- Daniel Gartner - Not sure, I'd say he would have played a rep game or two.
13- Nik Kosef - One of the best lock forwards in the past 10-15 years. A number of SOO and Test games. Watch the 96 GF and you'll see Kosef at his best.

14-Des Hasler - Test player on over a dozen occasions in the 80's and 90's. Manly and allround league legend.
15-Neil Tierney - had all you could ever want in a bench foward, unlucky not to have played rep.
16-Craig Hancock - Played for Aus a number of times I think?
17 - Owen Cunningham - Test player I'm pretty sure.

Rohan

Juniors
Out of that list as well:

Serdaris played for Australia, Craig Inness the All Blacks and I might be going nuts but didnt Danny Moore play in a rep team once???

They still wouldnt have beaten the 94 Raiders ;-)

ozzie

Bench
definitely the 74/75 Roosters side..

75 side was better and that was even without Fairfax...Schubert played fullback, Pickett, Mullins, Rheinberger, Brass, Peard, Mayes, Coote, second rowers a bit hazy (but Reilly was out injured and only played for the last 10 minutes) Walters, Beetson ahhh memories - and some bugger lost my tape of the game...

38-0 and going away....

Ron Jeremy

Coach
There is know doubt the parra side from 81-86 was the best team over the past 25 years.

4 Premierships...5 Grand Finals and there side dominated rep matches.

The canberra side of 94 was good for what??...1 year??...but i'd have there era of 89-91 right up there....they where far better side then Canterbury's 80's side.

Roosters 75 side was probably one of the best also, the Parra side of 2001 would have to be up there aswell after the number of records they smashed.

Interesting??

The best one year sides IMO would be in this order

- 1975 Roosters side
- 1982 Parramatta side
- 2001 Parramatta side
- 1994 Canberra side
- 1996Manly side

Even though Parra lost the Grand final....it's well documented that side was by far the best side all year....and it's no conincidence that the 2001 Newcastle side hasn't gotten a mention but the Parra side has??

I cannot also forget Manly's great team of the mid 90's!!...this team makes the Roosters defense look second rate, it was just astonshing the Manly " Brickwall" was.

RainMan

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
I cannot also forget Manly's great team of the mid 90's!!...this team makes the Roosters defense look second rate, it was just astonshing the Manly " Brickwall" was.

I think their Points Conceded was about 8 points a game for 95 or 96. Very impressive stuff.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Im glad Newcastle rely so much on that one player :lol:

BTW

The mid 90's Manly side IMO was one of the best....just amazing the way they played.

Knightmare

Coach
That 40-0 match at Parra stadium did happen while the Knights were "Joeyless" and I firmly remember as I was leaving the stadium that night a Parra supporter saying to a 10 year old in a Knights jersey "don't worry mate, you're a different side when Joey plays"

How right he was.....[/quote]

I seem to remember we had a few other big names out that night- if I'm right Bedsy, tahu and Kennedy were also absent. Anyone who was at the 2001 Grand Final knows that the Clive Chruchill Medak should have gone to BK or Billy Peden- Joey's was just compensation for missing the Dally M... :roll:

As for the best teams to never win the Grand Final, I'd put the 2001 Eels, the 1995 Sea Eagles, the 1989 Rabbitohs and the 1988 Tigers on my list.

azza

Juniors
I am biased, obviously, but as others have said, I can't go past the 1994 Raiders side. The Broncos of 92/93 were close to them, but I can't find a better side that I have seen in my short life so far - Mullins, Daley, Clyde, Stuart, Croker, Meninga, Walters, Clyde, Furner, Wiki, etc. etc.

PINGU

Juniors
I think both the Doggies and Eels sides of the early to mid 80 were the best sides I have seen play.

The Eels had the best backline I have seen.

Doggies had the most brutal defence. They would beat team before they ran onto the field.

Both great teams to watch.

The Easts team of 1974 and 1975 was arguably the greatest club side of all time. The statistics speak for themselves. In the 2 year period Easts record reads this way.
played: 44, won:39, lost:5, Points for 944 (191 tries) Points against: 396 (71 tries). They won the minor premiership in 74 by 8 points and in 75 by 10 points. The beat Canterbury 19-4 (3 tries to nil) in 74 and they beat St george 38-0 (8 tries to nil) which is the record winning margin in a grand final. They didn't concede a try in either grand final. They won the pre-season comp in 1974 and they also won the Amco Cup in 1975. The 75 team also holds the record for the most consecutive wins during a regular season which is 19 wins. They also won the Club championship both years. I witnessed both seasons in full and they were a magnificent team to watch.
1. Russell Fairfax
2. Bruce Pickett
3. John Brass
4. Mark Harris
5. Bill Mullins
6. John Peard
7. John Mayes
8. Ron Coote
9. Barry Reilly
10.Kevin Stevens
11.Arthur Beetson(c)
12.Elwyn Walters
13.Ian McKay
Reserves.
Jim Porter
Ian Schubert
Greg Bandiera
Graham Olling
Coach.
Jack Gibson.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Everyone is raving on about the 94 Raiders side. They were a great team, but the 94 bulldogs team were just as good. Dogs won the minor premiership that year and was just as dominant as the Raiders were. We played a number of big games against the raiders that year which were damn close games. Choked big time from the get go in the GF though - straight from the kickoff!

fat_mike

Juniors
it was 2 a piece that year if memory serves me correctly. to floggings to the raiders and the dogs wins were close

19-12 at belmore to the dogs
36-6 raiders at bruce
19-18 bulldogs at sfs in the semi
36-12 raiders in the grand final

both were good but the raiders were ahead of the dogs by a bit in my opinion.