What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94 First Test Aus v GB

PARRA_FAN

Coach
off the top of my head I remember the squad for the 1994 tour was:
(not in any order)

Brasher
Wishart
Sailor
Renouf
ET
Wishart
Menzies
Hill
Fittler
Serdaris
McGregor
Mullins
Meninga (C)
S Walters
Pay
Harragon
Clyde
Daley
Stuart
Langer
Fairleigh
Florimo
Roberts
Sironen
Lazarus
Jason Smith

I've been reading Ricky Stuart's 1994 Kangaroo Tour Diary book when I've ben visiting the bathroom lately. On the flight over, Terry Hill wouldn't shut up, and Menzies didn't say a word. Alfie also failed at attempting to outdo David Boon's flight-drinking record.

gregstar

Referee
croker was ripped off.

in that test i remember goulding(?) had a good game for the poms.

Nonny1980

Juniors
That squad is amazing. A mix of youth and experience. I think the game has lost a lot with players going to the UK to retire. The youth these days don't get the guidance the rookies would have got years back. Now a players turns 28 and they are considered old. Teams need the right mix... that's why I'm filthy Hodgson was not offered anyother contract at the tigers. Im sure the experience Skando and O'Neill was just as important as Benji's step in 2005.

Nuke

Staff member
I thought the Shaun Edwards send off after the high tackle on Brad Clyde was in the first few tackles of the game? I was only 13 at the time, so don't remember exactly, but I've always thought this was the case.

Engine

Juniors
My most prized league-related possession is a photo of Johnathan Davis just after he scored the crucial try. I posted the pic to him and he personally signed it for me.

One of most memorable games I've ever seen.

Beg to differ, but you are a bias Raiders supporter

Oh come on Souleus. Remember that 100m try Kenny scored Vs the Dragons in 94? The one where he reached down and pulled up his shorts while he was running at full pace? I don't ever remember Wishart or Hancock scoring such a try.

Hancock spent much of that tour out injured anyway, as did Paul McGregor. If only they knew...Kenny could of went.:( Oh well..Ken Nagas goes down as one of the unluckiest guys in league history.

And Sailor didn't hit his real potential until a lil while after 94. Kenny WAS a better player in 1994. Sailor didn't play origin that year, Nagas did (albeit not much), and NSW had a lot more depth. (there was actually a big struggle between QLD & NSW over Nagas' services).

But it seems to me, as a Broncos fan you choose to remember this part of history differently.

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
100m try pulling his pants up? Are you really really sure that was in 1994?

Regardless, thats no legit reason to be picked on a Roo tour.
Jason Croker, yes he was comletely robbed blind, but not Negas. After the 1994 GF ended he was interviewed by Tim Sherridan and Tim wished him good luck for selection in the Roo tour. Straight after Ken Sutcliffe asked Sterling what he thought about Negas' chances....and Sterling said no, they are other players ahead of him.
I am not using Sterling as a complete concrete backing, but just another opinion from a well respected commentator on the game.

There is no way you can use the "injured" on tour excuse either No one is a fortune teller.

100m try pulling his pants up? Are you really really sure that was in 1994?

Regardless, thats no legit reason to be picked on a Roo tour.
Jason Croker, yes he was comletely robbed blind, but not Negas. After the 1994 GF ended he was interviewed by Tim Sherridan and Tim wished him good luck for selection in the Roo tour. Straight after Ken Sutcliffe asked Sterling what he thought about Negas' chances....and Sterling said no, they are other players ahead of him.
I am not using Sterling as a complete concrete backing, but just another opinion from a well respected commentator on the game.

There is no way you can use the "injured" on tour excuse either No one is a fortune teller.

Yes i'm pretty sure that amazing try was in 94. I have a signed card at home celebrating it. I'd have to go to my mums and check it for you to be 100% sure though. It was Vs St George. One of the best tries I've ever seen.

Goodo for Sterlo......the man who said Lockyer would never make it at 5/8 and it'd be a "dumb move".

I wasn't using the injury issue as an excuse....more lamenting the fact with a "what if" attitude.

Nagas was the f**kin man.

Calixte

First Grade
I was at the second test in that series, we were expecting GB to clinch the series. :(

That is why the union trolls cannot win in the atmosphere thread in NRL - despite their best efforts, denton.

At the time, seasoned soccer journalists in the UK commented that the atmosphere at Old Trafford for the Test you mention was as good, if not more intimidating, than any they had witnessed at the ground.

The sound when the two teams took the field at the same time was remarkable...