What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94: LU Arsenal Brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca_

Coach
I don't know about anyone else, but these sort of comments make me damn proud to be a Gooner.

"It does not matter what will happen with my new team, I'll never find the affection I was shown at Arsenal," the Henry told Sky television.

"In part that's because I don't think my legs will let me play for another club for eight years.

"You always return to the place you belong to and so I hope one day to be able to work with that club. I have this club in my blood."

The 30-year-old said he had followed Arsenal's games since leaving for Spain in the close season.

"I'm proud to have played for Arsenal and to be a fan of theirs," he added.

"Before I was not a fan of any club, but I have become an Arsenal fan and it's difficult for me to not watch their matches".

Henry is a Gooner at heart.

There's a time that comes when players and clubs need to go their seperate ways. TH going to Barca was one of those. What he gave to our club can never be tarnished by anything.

I believe most Gooners would welcome him back to our club in any capacity in the future and rightly so.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Real Sociedad coach Chris Coleman was warned against placing too much expectation on new teenage signing Fran Merida.

Merida completed his loan switch to Sociedad from Arsenal on Wednesday, and Coleman has confirmed the Barcelona-born midfielder could make his squad for this weekend's derby against Alaves.

The 17-year-old has been likened to fellow Spaniard and Arsenal star Cesc Fabregas, but Merida himself has played down those comparisons and Coleman said: "We must not put too much pressure on Fran Merida.

"He's 17, a very young boy. He's a good talent but he's very very young.

"Myself and (assistant coach) Steve Kean, we know the people at Arsenal of course through playing against them for some years, so we know all about Fran Merida but we must not put too much pressure on a 17-year-old boy, who has come here for experience, to play some games.

Merida was quick to dismiss any suggestion Sociedad had got themselves the new Fabregas following his loan move to the Basque club.

Comparisons between Merida and fellow Spaniard Fabregas are inevitable, with both midfielders having been brought up through the youth ranks at local side Barcelona before moving to Arsenal as youngsters.

However, 17-year-old Merida, who made his Gunners first-team debut in a Carling Cup match last September, was keen to play down any similarities, pointing out Fabregas was now established as one of Arsenal's leading stars.

"Many people have mentioned it to me, but Cesc is 20 years old and has played in a Champions League final and a World Cup," said Merida.

"I am Fran Merida and I come here with a lot of ambition, right now there is nothing to compare between the two of us."

Merida, who has joined Sociedad on loan until the end of the season, believes his move from Spain to England in 2006 has been an education.

"As a person you mature, and more so if you go on your own. I think that is has been a good experience, and I have learned as much on the pitch as off it," said Merida, who could make his debut in this weekend's Basque derby against Alaves.

Sociedad, who were relegated last season after 40 years in the Primera Liga, are seventh in the second division, four points off the third promotion spot which is currently held by Sporting Gijon.

"I like Spanish football and I think that in the second division everything is very even, losing or winning two matches in succession can either drop you down the division or can get you among the leading teams," Merida said.

"We will try to get ourselves cemented at the top and, above all, not slip down the standings."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/67905,dont-expect-too-much-from-teen-merida--coleman.aspx

BRAZIL captain Gilberto has no intentions of quitting Arsenal and intends to remain "100% professional" as he attempts to win back his place at the heart of Arsene Wenger's side.

The 31-year-old was by some way the oldest player in last night's youthful team which drew 1-1 draw in the first leg of their Carling Cup semi-final at Emirates Stadium.

Gilberto - a World Cup winner in 2002 and part of the Invincibles side which won the Premier League crown unbeaten - admits it has been somewhat uncomfortable watching from the outside this season, with only 11 starts and nine appearances off the bench.

The consistent form of Cesc Fabregas and Mathieu Flamini in central midfield has restricted the Brazilian's opportunities.

However, despite reported interest from the likes of Juventus and Valencia, the South American remains determined to stay.

"This is what I have in mind, to get back in the team and hope I can achieve that as soon as possible," said Gilberto, who has more than a year left on his contract.

"But I know the team is playing well and so are the guys in my position, especially Mathieu.

"I will do my job, and I did that again against Tottenham which was another good opportunity for me to show that I am capable to come back into the team.

"At the moment, I prefer not to think about moving and to fight for my position."

Gilberto's stance is remarkably different from that of unsettled Frenchman Lassana Diarra, who only arrived at Arsenal from Chelsea in August but now may be allowed to leave.

And veteran keeper Jens Lehmann could yet move to Borussia Dortmund to give himself the chance of regular first-team football ahead of the European Championships.

But Gilberto feels he cannot approach his situation any other way.

"It is quite easy to manage the situation when things do not work as they want, but for some people it is quite hard, it is difficult to understand," he said.

"It has been quite bad for me to look at Arsenal playing so well from the bench - but I try to be very positive every day at the training ground and to fight.

"I go there, do my job and be 100% professional, as I always have been and try to return to the team.

"You have to respect everybody, be professional and wait for your chance to come again."

Gilberto added: "The important thing for me at the moment and what makes me very strong is my family.

"When I am at home, I can get a balance. I play with my kids and am with my wife, I can forget everything about my job with the football.

"I have found this is the way to manage the situation at the moment at to look forwards.

"I have experienced very hard things in the past and so why not manage things the right way at the moment?"

Denilson, 19, made it an all-Brazilian pairing for Arsenal in central midfield last night and has settled well into the Gunners squad after his move from Sao Paulo in August 2006.

Having come up through the international youth ranks, he now hopes to get a chance with the senior team.

"Hopefully (Brazil coach) Dunga will look at this game and see that we can play together," he told Arsenal TV Online.

"I am working very hard and I hope next season I can get in the national side. I am progressing well."

After Theo Walcott's late equaliser against Spurs, Arsenal remain very much still in the tie but they must score at White Hart Lane in a fortnight to have any chance of making it to Wembley and a second successive appearance in the Carling Cup final.

The Gunners have not lost to their north London rivals now in some 21 clashes and came back from 2-0 down in the first away leg of last year's semi-final.

Denilson said: "It will be a good experience for us - but we have a good team and we must show that now. The memory of last season will help us.

"I am very proud of the team. The Carling Cup is very important to everyone and we must now focus on the game against Tottenham.

"We know that Arsenal have not lost in so many games against Tottenham and that is a fantastic record."

Wenger, meanwhile, has several injury concerns ahead of the Barclays Premier League leaders' home clash against Birmingham on Saturday.

Defenders Johan Djourou (groin), Philippe Senderos (knee) and striker Robin van Persie (thigh) will have to be assessed, along with Walcott (ankle).

Emmanuel Eboue, Kolo Toure and Alexandre Song are all away at the African Nations Cup.

(reopens)

Wenger hopes the recurrence van Persie's thigh problem would be "minor", but revealed the Dutch forward will miss the Birmingham match because of a flu virus.

The Gunners boss will, however, have to make changes at the back.

"Djourou is out but Senderos has not been completely assessed by the medical staff yet. We will know more about him on Friday," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online.

"The options are those who played last night, or Gilberto or [Bacary] Sagna. So we have players. Everyone else is all right."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/67906,gilberto-committed-to-gunners.aspx

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I would welcome Henry back in any form with open arms.

The guy bleeds Arsenal.

He was always going to Barca, it was merely a matter of when.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I wouldn't. He walked out on us and we are doing better without him.
One of our special strikers would have to leave if he came back.

Macca_

Coach
gunning_for_panthers said:
I wouldn't. He walked out on us and we are doing better without him.
One of our special strikers would have to leave if he came back.
He walked out on us? His time was up. Will you say the same when Cesc leaves? Cause he will go to Spain at some stage.

How long have you supported this club? Did you enjoy the 8 seasons Henry gave to us?

Re-read the article and his comments. It doesn't mean he aims to come back and play.

Would you think that if he came back in say 3-5 seasons to be lets say in a coaching role that he would be worthwhile having about? Or do we just wash our hands of him because he took a final pay day at Barca and a new challenge for him before he retires?

I can't believe a fan of the club would have an issue with one of the greatest players to play at Highbury. :?

Stonecutter

First Grade
I wouldn't accept him back as a player No chance. Some type of coaching role would be alright.

The reason I have a problem is that he clearly stated for only days before he left how he could never be at any other club, that he is all arsenalat heart. He was, and probably still is my all time favourite player. But he shot down us fans that believed him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
he's also my all time favourite and will always welcome him back to the club...he became a super star at our club and it also appears that he left at the right time it was just right for both parties and we're now reaping the rewards of being blessed with some brilliant young strikers who just about to explode if they haven't already done so.

RedVGooner

Juniors
henry has done great great things for the club, but he did leave us in the dust. thats why i dont want him back as a player but if he does come back havin a coachin role in the club then i wouldnt mind

Macca_

Coach
Ok, if it's about the cirumstances in which he left, what's the difference between accepting him back as a player or in some sort of coaching position? Both mean he would be back at the club...

Just curious.

RedVGooner

Juniors
Macca_ said:
Ok, if it's about the cirumstances in which he left, what's the difference between accepting him back as a player or in some sort of coaching position? Both mean he would be back at the club...

Just curious.

well theres one bad and good part of him comin bak

well if he comes back as a player, he would hold back the players such as, bendtner, walcott and vela, that would be just takin a step back

and if he comes back in the coachin role he can help the players and give them confidence and give them experience

but thierry henry is a legend wat he has done for the club

BWNB

First Grade
He is the reason i started supporting the gooners....
Id take him back as a mentor, but we have to look forward... The day we say no to TH playing is a sad day but thats reality.

Macca_

Coach
superloco10 said:
well if he comes back as a player, he would hold back the players such as, bendtner, walcott and vela, that would be just takin a step back

and if he comes back in the coachin role he can help the players and give them confidence and give them experience
But you said that the reason you wouldn't take him back as a player was because he left us in the dust... :D

I was just picking :lol:

Not sure why we're talking about him in a player sense anyway. It won't happen. The article and his comments refer to the future, and in saying that, non playing future. He obviously wouldn't come back as a player, so no need to worry about him holding others back.

Just to clarify my pickyness :lol: on this subject, I supported Arsenal long before Henry came to our club. I was a massive fan of Ian Wright, who had his all time Arsenal goal scoring record broken by Henry. I've seen what TH has done for our club in his time here. I, like most were disappointed in the way he left, but lets face it, he was always going for one last challenge at some stage.

No player is bigger then a club, but TH came as close to being that as you can get. Which was why he had to move on. Wenger knew that too. Speaking of Wenger, if there's anyone who should have the keys to Emirates as much as Wenger, next in line is TH. Those 2 guys are massive reasons for how the club is today and they have shaped our short term and long term future.

So that is why I have an issue with anyone not wanting to welcome Henry back in any way shape or form later on down the track :D

Macca_

Coach
Damn, was hoping to see Hoyte get the gig.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...e=Senderos+passed+fit+for+visit+of+Birmingham
Senderos passed fit for visit of Birmingham
Arsenal v Birmingham City
Barclays Premier League
Emirates Stadium
Sat, Jan 12, 2008, 3pm
By Richard Clarke

Philippe Senderos has been passed fit for the visit of Birmingham on Saturday.

The centre back was one of three players who picked up injuries during Wednesday’s Carling Cup Semi-Final with Tottenham. Robin van Persie’s thigh problem does not appear serious but he has been sidelined with flu while Johan Djourou is out with a groin problem. Senderos completed the trio but his medial knee ligament trouble appears to have cleared. It is welcome news because, with Kolo Toure and Alex Song at the African Nations Cup, Wenger admits his defensive options are limited.

“Djourou is out, Van Persie is out but Philippe is fit,” said Wenger. “There is not much choice [in defence] but I think Justin Hoyte did well at centre back in the second half. He has not all the reflexes of a centre back yet but we will continue to work with him in this position. He has a good chance to play as well.”

Theo Walcott is available despite picking up a knock on Wednesday. Emmanuel Eboue is also on duty at the African Nations Cup.

Despite all the absences, Wenger is still unlikely to go into the transfer market during the January window but he has not yet slammed it shut.

“Let’s first see how it goes in the next three games,” he said. “There will be a few days left even after the Tottenham game, we can still do something then if it was needed.”

[ Friday, January 11, 2008]

Macca_

Coach
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...le=Freeman+signing+would+lead+English+revival
Freeman signing would lead English revival
By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger believes the current crop of young players at Arsenal is the best he has had during his time in charge — and most of them are English.

The Frenchman has always drawn criticism for supposedly favouring foreign talent at Emirates Stadium. It is a charge he vehemently denies but certainly, over the past year, Arsenal have consistently put out sides that do not include an Englishman.

However Wenger believes that will change in the future. At Friday’s press conference he announced that he was close to signing Luke Freeman, a 15-year-old striker who has already made three appearances for Gillingham. Wenger also suggested that a couple of the Club’s 14-year-old players were so advanced “they had nothing to learn technically”.

“Yes, we will be pushing it through,” said the manager when asked about the Freeman deal. “I want to buy English,” he added with a smile.

“I met the boy and I like him. He has personality and he looks alert. He’s a striker and to play in a first team at 15 years of age is something special.

“We were quite well on the case and we are very positive that we will find an agreement with the club without going to compensation. We will pay them a transfer.”

Freeman will surely cut his Arsenal teeth in the Under-18s, FA Youth Cup side and then the Reserves. Wenger added that young Englishmen like Kieran Gibbs and Henri Lansbury would “certainly be in the first team squad next season”. But, even below those age-groups, the manager sees emerging talent.

“Yes overall from 14 to 20 it is the best group we have had,” he said. “We play a youth cup game against Burnley [tonight] and we have a very good side. They are all at a good level now.

“Also we have two Under-14s players I watched play and technically they have nothing to learn.

“Will they be professional footballers at Arsenal? I don’t know. The more you go down [in ages] the greater the margin of error. Sometimes you see a player at 13 and you think ‘absolutely amazing’ then two years later he has disappeared.

“But our target is to produce good players and I believe we are on the right road with the way we want to work throughout the Club.

“I know how much the English national team means here to people. To contribute to that would be a big pride as well. At the moment it is not my first responsibility.

“But I have been accused of only buying foreign players and I would like to contribute to the quality of English football.”

[ Friday, January 11, 2008]

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Macca_ said:
He walked out on us? His time was up. Will you say the same when Cesc leaves? Cause he will go to Spain at some stage.

How long have you supported this club? Did you enjoy the 8 seasons Henry gave to us?

Re-read the article and his comments. It doesn't mean he aims to come back and play.

Would you think that if he came back in say 3-5 seasons to be lets say in a coaching role that he would be worthwhile having about? Or do we just wash our hands of him because he took a final pay day at Barca and a new challenge for him before he retires?

I can't believe a fan of the club would have an issue with one of the greatest players to play at Highbury. :?

I've supported Arsenal since the start of the 2003-04 season, and I, unlike you and many others, didn't experience the 8 years of Henry. I am forever grateful of what Henry gave us (Undefeated Premier League season, FA Cup win and Champions League Final) while I have been a supporter of this great club.

I just don't like how he came close to signing with Barcelona after the 2006 CL final, but decided to sign for four more seasons, and then suddenly left.

If he came to Arsenal as some sort of coach, I wouldn't have any issues.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
As posted above...TH hasn't said he like to come back as a player hes a smart man he knows that his playing days at this club are over but he would like to come back to the plac ehe loves in the future in some other role.....and after what he gave this club from 98 to 06 how could you not want him here

Yea fine most of the young supporters who only really saw the near end of his Arsenal Career will see that he just walked out on the gunners for a big pay day at Barca but the older ones who watched his full career at arsenal will see from those great years he gave to the club and see that it was the right time for him to move on

And on a side note id love to see him here sooner rather than later cause i think he could do wonders for Theo Walcott hopefully get a strikers mentality into him and help his progression cause with his blinding pace....he cause be something really special if he got the killer instinct

Macca_

Coach
AusKnightRKO said:
Yea fine most of the young supporters who only really saw the near end of his Arsenal Career will see that he just walked out on the gunners for a big pay day at Barca but the older ones who watched his full career at arsenal will see from those great years he gave to the club and see that it was the right time for him to move on
Went along way from the lightning quick winger who rellied heavily on his pace more then anything that we picked up from Juve didn't he!!!

AusKnightRKO said:
And on a side note id love to see him here sooner rather than later cause i think he could do wonders for Theo Walcott hopefully get a strikers mentality into him and help his progression cause with his blinding pace....he cause be something really special if he got the killer instinct
100% what I'm thinking as soon as I heard TH say he'd liked to come back at some stage. Sooner the better would be great with regards to Theo.

In many ways, and it's been said here before, Theo has a lot of TH in him from his early days. As mentioned above, lightning quick and his game is based around pace.

It goes back to the point about Wenger playing Theo out on the flank a lot of the time. It's teaching him to use his brain and work on his skills to beat a man etc as well as use his pace. Much like the way Theiry came along with his game.

In saying that, AW shaped TH's career in that way, so if Theo has what it takes there's no reason he can't walk the path of Henry, remains to be seen if it's as good a path, but it should be a good one non the less.

Macca_

Coach
gunning_for_panthers said:
I just don't like how he came close to signing with Barcelona after the 2006 CL final, but decided to sign for four more seasons, and then suddenly left.
Yeah, but I guess there is a lot more to the story then what is known.

The guy clearly loves the club, so I don't believe in his heart he wanted to make the move. But the time was right. Perhaps he should have went following the CL Final, but it's all in the past now.

Prepared to give him benefit of the doubt over his leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.