What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94: LU Arsenal Brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca_

Coach
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...I'm+confident+that+the+team+will+refocus"
Arsène Wenger: "I'm confident that the team will refocus"
Arsenal 1-1 Birmingham City
Barclays Premier League
Emirates Stadium
Sat, Jan 12, 2008, 3pm

on the result...
"It was very frustrating because the crowd was very good and we were not good. The support of the crowd was always behind the team and wanted to push us. They defended well and I felt that it looked too easy and we lost concentration on the set-piece. And when you do that you're punished and that's what happened today. After that it was close many times but we didn't create enough overall. We were not sharp enough to do it and because they defended well and it's as simple as that."

on bringing in new faces...
"I don't look for anybody and I feel that last excuse to find when you don't win a game - with a team who has won so many games since the start of the season - is to say 'let's go out and buy'. It's a little bit too easy and it's not a way I want to go."

on O'Connor's goal...
"I don't believe that Senderos was caught in the set-piece, there were two or three other players involved who didn't jump for the ball and that's why we got punished. "

on the title race...
"I feel the situation is so tight up front, every game is important, you know? It's very difficult to say what months will be crucial. The only thing I know, today we lost two points we should not have lost and I'm confident that the team will refocus, because they are really disappointed. We need sharply to refocus because that kind of focus we have shown today is not sufficient. "

on Walcott standing in for Rosicky...
"I wouldn't like to criticise any individual performance today, I feel we had so many good games, he played his third game of the week. He was planned to be rested today but Rosicky got sick last night. So he, I feel, physically suffered a little bit."

[ Saturday, January 12, 2008]
Re the one comment I put in bold, I'm tipping Fulham probably ain't to keen to see us as their next opponent.... :D

Macca_

Coach
More comments after the Birmingham game. Club seems to be taking the result pretty bad. I feel for Fulham, I really do :lol:

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...enger+-+I+take+full+responsibility+for+result
Wenger - I take full responsibility for result
Barclays Premier League
Emirates Stadium
Sat, Jan 12, 2008, 3pm
By Matt Fortune

Arsène Wenger has admitted he takes full responsibility for the draw that saw Arsenal lose ground in the title race on Saturday.

Birmingham became only the second team to leave Emirates Stadium with a share of the spoils in the Premier League this season, and the Frenchman revealed he shoulders the blame for what he called ‘the poorest game we have played’.

“I take full responsibility. The crowd were good, we were bad and I include myself in that,” said Wenger. “You can never afford to be poor because that's not your ambition. We tried but we lacked creativity, incisiveness and sharpness. It can happen.

"I feel that it's easy to find a rational explanation for days like this but it's not always the right ones. It's one of the mysteries of football that some players haven't played for 10 days and yet they weren't sharp today.”

The Arsenal manager’s frustration was palpable as he watched on from the touchline. He explained why after the match.

"We were caught in the feeling, during the game, that it would be easy and that's a good lesson for us. The goalkeeper has probably never had so little to do but still we have dropped two points.

“We lost a ball we shouldn't have lost and from the corner we weren't sharp enough. Then, after that, we lacked quality in the final third and that was a collective problem.

"I don't think this will affect the mentality of the players. There are always one or two performances during a season when you are not at your best but the mistake we made today was from a set-piece and that was disappointing.”

The last time Arsenal slipped behind Manchester United in the title race, the Gunners responded by crashing four past Everton. Wenger believes that the team needs a similar riposte against Fulham next weekend.

"We have to pick up as many points as possible, and that's why we are disappointed because we have dropped two big points. That is not the reality because in 22 games this season we have played well in 21 of them. Now we want to come back to what we really are.”

[ Monday, January 14, 2008]

Macca_

Coach
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...+We+have+not+had+to+question+ourselves+enough
Clichy - We have not had to question ourselves enough
Barclays Premier League
Emirates Stadium
Sat, Jan 12, 2008, 3pm
By Richard Clarke

Gael Clichy believes one of the reasons for Arsenal’s disappointing draw against Birmingham on Saturday is that they have had things too easy so far this season.

Emmanuel Adebayor put the home side ahead from the penalty spot but Garry O’Connor levelled three minutes after the break. Arsenal mounted an energetic yet fruitless finale and the solitary point allowed Manchester United to leapfrog Arsène Wenger’s side on goal difference. It was only the second week Arsenal had been off top spot since mid-September.

Afterwards, the manager described his side’s performance on Saturday as “one of the mysteries of football”. Clichy had a more down-to-earth theory.

“The boss told us to play simple and yet, instead of making the easy choice, we did not play the right final ball,” he said.

“When you concede a goal at the start of the second half from a set-piece, you have to say we were not ready from the off. The boss warned us about that at half-time and so there was really a sense of disappointment.

“Now we have to focus again and work hard in the next game because this was not enough. But that is the danger when you play so well from the first game in the Premier League, you do not have to question yourself after every game.

“Let's get on with the job now. We have to refocus, everyone, and move forwards. I do not think the mentality is gone. We are still there for the title and we are going to show that against Fulham in the next match.

“Manchester United were top before the New Year by just one point and now it is the same picture again. We just have to play our best game. We know we have the quality to win it.

“It is disappointing losing two points like this, but we have to look forward to the next match.”

Macca_

Coach
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...Title=Loan+Watch:+Defeat+for+Simpson+and+Vela
Loan Watch: Defeat for Simpson and Vela
Five players are currently away from Arsenal on loan. Jay Simpson will be the only player to feature on British soil as he has extended his spell at League One outfit Millwall. Elsewhere, promising Mexican striker Carlos Vela will play his football in Spain with La Liga side Osasuna, with talented 17-year-old Fran Merida at Real Sociedad in Spain's second tier.

Keep up-to-date with the fortunes of all our loan stars in our regular Loan Watch.

Jay Simpson
Port Vale 3-1Millwall, January 12
The dismissal of Richard Shaw saw Jay Simpson sacrificed on 53 minutes as Millwall suffered a defeat at bottom-of-the-table Port Vale. Gary Alexander had put the visitors ahead on 14 minutes before Danny Whitaker levelled midway through the half. Initiative was handed to the hosts with the departure of Shaw, and two headers in the final 15 minutes from Keith Lowe secured a much-needed victory for Vale.

Carlos Vela
Osasuna 0-2 Racing Santander, January 13
Carlos Vela’s introduction on the hour mark could not ignite an Osasuna performance that saw them defeated 2-0 at home to Racing Santander. Goals in the final 10 minutes from Gonzalo Colsa and Nunez Pablo Alvarez sealed the victory despite long periods of domination by the hosts.

Fran Merida
Real Sociedad 1-0 Alaves, January 12
After only a few days with his new team, Fran Merida watched on as Gorka Elustondo slammed home an injury-time winner against Alves. The 1-0 victory moves Chris Coleman’s side up to fifth in Liga BBVA with nine points separating them from leaders Malaga.

Dragooner

Bench
A rumor here we are after Marseille youngster Andre Ayew. Son of Adebi Pele.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/other_sports/transfer_news/article687447.ece

ARSENE GONNA GET AYEW

ARSENAL are chasing £5million-rated Marseille wonderkid Andre Ayew.

Boss Arsene Wenger has been trailing Ayew — son of African legend Adebi Pele — all season.

Wenger faces a race to sign the left-winger as he is at the African Nations with Ghana and the transfer window shuts before the cup finishes.

Ayew, 18, netted 11 goals last term.

A source close to the player said: “Arsenal have sent scouts to watch him almost every week.”

The Sun is as reliable as a rats arse but worth posting.

Love how there only source is 'a source close to the player'. It's obviously's Ayew's neighbours, twice-removed 3rd cousins, rapists, dog who has given them this information. Sounds promising though.

bling_fc

Juniors

Dragooner

Bench
Also the signing of Freeman from Gillingham is nearly all but secured. It's not official but the coach has said Gunners will get him very soon.

If you don't know he's a young 15 year old ENLGISH striker. Looks the goods according to reports and was wanted by clubs A-Z. From England and abroad.

Macca_

Coach
He's always look alright when getting a run...

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...Title='Randall+has+special+feeling+about+him'
'Randall has special feeling about him'
By Matt Fortune

Mark Randall’s involvement with the first-team in recent months has not just helped him but has also had a positive effect on those around him.

Speaking after Arsenal’s comprehensive defeat of Burnley in the FA Youth Cup Third Round, defender Paul Rodgers heaped praise on his 18-year-old team-mate.

“His Carling Cup experiences and his first-team involvement has helped him so much,” Rodgers told Arsenal.com “His confidence has gone up and up.

“You can tell when he is on the pitch that he has a special feeling about him."

Having suffered an early set-back against the Clarets, Randall orchestrated Arsenal’s victory with a sumptuous performance, capped by a stunning 20-yard strike.

“When you see him so confident and composed on the ball, the way he seems so relaxed, it’s good for all of us,” said Rodgers.

“At times when the game is a bit hectic, he will calm it down and that can certainly rub off on the rest of the players.”

[ Tuesday, January 15, 2008]

Macca_

Coach
On current form, this has to happen!

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...e=Wenger+-+I'm+hopeful+that+Flamini+will+stay
Wenger - I'm hopeful that Flamini will stay
By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger is confident that Mathieu Flamini will stay at Arsenal.

The French midfielder was close to leaving the Club last summer but opted to stay and fight for his first-team place. Now, after an outstanding start to the season, Flamini is a regular in the Arsenal side.

The 23-year-old's contract expires at the end of the current campaign so he is free to speak to other clubs about a transfer. However, Wenger wants Flamini to stay at Emirates Stadium and revealed that talks over a new deal are underway.

"Mathieu is free to talk but the talks [with Arsenal] are ongoing," said Wenger.

"I am hopeful on it. I am not concerned."

Macca_

Coach
The master.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...r+-+My+special+way+of+assessing+a+new+signing
Wenger - My special way of assessing a new signing
By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger has one virtually fool-proof way of testing the character of any potential new signing — he just watches them play.

The Arsenal manager is well-known for considering a player’s personality off the pitch as well as their quality on it before he decides to make a bid.

And, according to the Frenchman, all the background research in the world cannot make up for a good, long look at a player in action. Wenger believes the way you play your football is the way you live your life. That is why he has never signed a player from viewing videos alone.

“You try to get as many guarantees as you can but when you see a player you can know his character,” remarked the 58-year-old. “There is no better study than to watch somebody play. When he goes on the football pitch he becomes who he really is.

“In normal life you can hide. On the football pitch you show who you really are. That is why you should watch a player well so you can see behind his character because he delivers that with his performance.”

But, speaking at the launch of Arsenal TV, the Frenchman added that modern transfers do not give a manager the luxury of scrutiny.

“It is sometimes a question of time,” said Wenger. “We need to make quick decisions because we are competing with the other clubs. Some you have to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ without the time to get all the guarantees.

“You can go home at midnight and if you don’t make a decision by 5am then the guy has gone somewhere else. He’ll have two planes booked. One goes to, say, Paris St-Germain and one comes to London.”

Dragooner

Bench
And I like to piss off my opposition on and off the field. Haven't been head-butted yet but a hell of a lot of punch ups in my time. My first all the way back in under 8's. I taught that kid a lesson. That d*ckhead will never score a goal against me again. Think he moved to Victoria :lol:

Dragooner

Bench
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/14012008/1/wenger-tried-lure-beckham.html

Wenger tried to lure Beckham

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed he tried to sign former England captain David Beckham from Real Madrid back in 2004.Beckham joined Real from Manchester United back in the summer of 2003, although his first season in La Liga did not go to plan.

With Beckham struggling in Spain, Wenger has confirmed he spoke to the midfielder's representatives about a possible move back to the Premier League.

However, Beckham opted to remain at the Bernabeu, a decision that was vindicated when he helped them win the title in the 2006/07 campaign - his final season with the club before linking up with LA Galaxy.

"David almost came to Arsenal a couple of years ago when things did not go too well during his first season with Real," Wenger told the Daily Express.

"I even met the people who took care of his career, but in the end, David decided to remain at Real."

Beckham is currently training with Arsenal in a bid to restore his fitness ahead of England's upcoming friendly against Switzerland, although Wenger has already ruled out a loan switch.

I have hated Beckham with a passion for SOOOO long and just imagining him as a part of the pride of North London, actually, pride of England, or, pride of the UK, even further, pride of Europe, oh just f*ck it, pride of the whole f*cking god damn world :D brings a shiver down my spine. I wonder how he would have played under us???

Dragooner

Bench
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/16012008/4/arshavin-set-north-london.html

Arshavin Set For North London?

Russia striker Andrei Arshavin has been linked with a move to Tottenham or Arsenal after his agent confirmed he is attracting interest from a trio of western European clubs.

The 26-year-old, part of the Russia squad which secured qualification to Euro 2008, is one of the country's brightest talents and is thought to be keen to leave reigning Premier Liga champions Zenit for a new challenge.

"We have three offers for Arshavin. All three are from strong European teams", Arshavin's agent Pavel Andreev told Sport Express.

"We are currently considering the pros and cons of each and carrying out consultations. Andrei wants to leave and is interested in playing abroad.

"Everything will be in place no later than Wednesday."

According to the newspaper, the three teams in question are believed to be Tottenham and Arsenal and French Ligue 1 side Marseille.

However, Zenit spokesman Konstantin Sarsania insists no approach has been made for the player.

Arshavin, currently on a pre-season tour with Zenit in the United Arab Emirates, has made no secret of his desire to play in England.

"For now I am here in the UAE as a Zenit player and am only thinking about tomorrow's training session," he said.

"Regarding my future, I have already said I'd like to try one of Europe's top leagues, among which the Spanish and English leagues interest me most."

Was great in EURO08 qualifiers. Was very, very good infact. From what I saw of him he looked the goods.

Dragooner

Bench
More rumours, apparently we are trailing Russa's 17 year old defender Vyacheslav Dmitriev who's nicknamed 'the elephant' because he is very quick however decptively appears rather slow.

bling_fc

Juniors
Saint Dragon said:
More rumours, apparently we are trailing Russa's 17 year old defender Vyacheslav Dmitriev who's nicknamed 'the elephant' because he is very quick however decptively appears rather slow.

We already have a WHITE ELEPHANT in Senderos

Also we do not need another striker come forward

Macca_

Coach
It's a shame for Diarra that he's a sook. Certainly got some ability.

Read somewhere they reporting around 5m. Doubled our money in a few months :D

Dragooner

Bench
All Diarra had to is be patient. He is young and had time. For example Flamini was out of first team action for a long time but he dug deep and now is one of the best midfielders in the world and is starting. He needed to focus and pull his thumb out and it would come good.

As for Flamini is yet to sign a new contract. In the region of 40K apparently. He is probably trying to attract some attention. Hope he doesn't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.