What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9's thread

The Nick

Bench
I would love attend the 9's on the bender, but other than that I find it really hard to give a shit about it.

The tournament gives zero indication of where teams sit for the season, the clubs don't really seem to take it that seriously (apart from Souths last year and that worked out well for them) plus having a 9's trophy sitting in your cabinet really means f*** all.

Getting the whole squad through unscathed is worth more than winning 10 consecutive 9's tournaments in a row.

The trial in Brissie i consider more serious as Wynnum have put in their best team and are taking it very serious.

Nona at 7 will be interesting to see how he plays along side Widdop.

The Nick

Bench
The trial in Brissie i consider more serious as Wynnum have put in their best team and are taking it very serious.

Nona at 7 will be interesting to see how he plays along side Widdop.

I agree, the 9 a side game has little carry-over to 80mins of NRL football. .

V

Vasilevsky

Dud calls but wouldn't happen in regular season with the video ref

That is absolute BS! Remember the second game against the Grubs last season? Nabuli and 'that' knock on and then Dugan and 'that' forced restart? This is an ongoing issue. If it were the Broncos or Grubs the coach would give it to the refs, probably correctly, cop a fine and then have then refs scared of making a call against the team. These days the Dragons just take it up the you know where and the supporters delude themselves into thinking 'it won't happen again'.

V

Vasilevsky

I agree, the 9 a side game has little carry-over to 80mins of NRL football. .

WTF has gotten into you? How much media exposure (affecting sponsorship) and prize money does the trail against some red necks in QLD offer?

Old Timer

Coach
I would love attend the 9's on the bender, but other than that I find it really hard to give a shit about it.

The tournament gives zero indication of where teams sit for the season, the clubs don't really seem to take it that seriously (apart from Souths last year and that worked out well for them) plus having a 9's trophy sitting in your cabinet really means f*** all.

Getting the whole squad through unscathed is worth more than winning 10 consecutive 9's tournaments in a row.

If you are going to send a team and in it there are several new signings surely it is incumbent on them to show the fans something?

For all the hoo ha on the forum several new signings looked very ordinary and uninterested and IMO that's not good enough the fans deserve better especially as the club puts out all the 9's merchandise etc

bottle

Coach

Anyone with a semblance of common sense knows it is a hit and giggle tourny. It's a nice financial fillip to start the year if you can get through, but it's about giving a few youngsters a run and blowing out some cobwebs. God forbid we should ever see it more seriously than that. It's debatable how long the thing will even last.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Anyone with a semblance of common sense knows it is a hit and giggle tourny. It's a nice financial fillip to start the year if you can get through, but it's about giving a few youngsters a run and blowing out some cobwebs. God forbid we should ever see it more seriously than that. It's debatable how long the thing will even last.

What?
Our season is over. Have you not read it already?

The Panda is giving it a good run :cool:

mickeylane

Bench
I must admit Duffy looked very sharp!! Very fast

Kurt Mann is no slouch either.. Dugan looks like he can move to centre without worrying who is going to fill in at FB as both players look capable of taking ownership of this position

True_Believer

Juniors
WTF has gotten into you? How much media exposure (affecting sponsorship) and prize money does the trail against some red necks in QLD offer?

He was talking about the Brisbane trial providing a better insight into players abilities and where they may fit into the team. Had nothing to do with media exposure or prize money. The big picture here is making sure we have the best team available starting from round 1.

Bottle your talking about a person who thinks he is more intelligent then everyone else but in actual fact is a self absorded wanker.

Guys, nothing to be concerned about in Auckland 9s considering the majority of our first grade lineup was either at QLD trial or injured.

Don't forget the nines squad played without the services of:

Widdop
Marshall
Frizzell
Thompson
Nightingale
Masoe
Au Mah
Cooper

Trial in QLD was obviously treated more seriously.

Don't recall a premiership ever being decided in February

rainman44

Bench
i must admit duffy looked very sharp!! Very fast

kurt mann is no slouch either.. Dugan looks like he can move to centre without worrying who is going to fill in at fb as both players look capable of taking ownership of this position

100%

gitano

Juniors
Lafai lazy in defence a few times, not a new theme there.

Aitken has bulked up and looks quicker. Obviously a strong off season

Round 1 backline:

Dugan, Matautia, Aitken, Mann, Nighty, Benj, Widdop

Twenty10

Juniors
Lafai lazy in defence a few times, not a new theme there.

Aitken has bulked up and looks quicker. Obviously a strong off season

Round 1 backline:

Dugan, Matautia, Aitken, Mann, Nighty, Benj, Widdop

No Lafai. Interesting. He was terrible today buf he's not suited to 9s. He's not fast. He's s big aggressive Centre.

gitano

Juniors
No Lafai. Interesting. He was terrible today buf he's not suited to 9s. He's not fast. He's s big aggressive Centre.

I think bench second rower for Lafai. Those 2 on 2s in defence have always been his weakness. Aitken is as damaging with the ball and makes better decisions in defence, provided Mary doesn't switch the centres sides each week like last season.

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
I really dont think Dugan is suited to 9s footy.

Can attract defenders but always dies with the ball.

If he developed an off load and could be lethal

dino2170

Juniors
we should at least look to win the game. I mean if we send a decent team over there with Mcgregor we should try to win.

As I said Mcgregor cant coach being humbled by our bogey team and the scum doesnt auger too well for the season even though its a mickey mouse competition.

I think the NRL should ban all trails on the nines weekend to force all teams to bring over their profile players.