What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A 7's devoid of Panthers stars

Caged Panther

First Grade
WCC "JUST LIKE A GRAND FINAL" - PANTHERS
Jan 19 - The Panthers are treating their World Club Challenge against Bradford as a grand final and as a result no player chosen for that match will be eligible for the World Sevens.

The WCC will be played at Huddersfield’s McAlpine Stadium on February 13th. The Penrith squad will leave for the UK on February 4th.

“Aussie teams don’t have a great record in the club challenge, perhaps because some of them haven’t taken it too seriously, “ Penrith CEO Shane Richardson said today.

“But we are taking it very seriously. In fact, we’re treating it as a grand final. That means no player chosen for our 18 man squad will be eligible for the World Sevens.

“We see the WCC an important stepping stone in our desire to become recognised as the best rugby league club in the world,” Shane said. “It’s also important for Penrith because it will put the name of the city right up there on the world sporting stage.

“Having said that, we see the Sevens tournament as a great opportunity to show case more of our homegrown young players and some of those who have just joined us.”

The 18 man squad for the WCC includes 16 of the 17 players who won the Grand Final plus veteran Colin Ward and Danny Galea (Scott Sattler is now with Wests Tigers).

The Panthers team for the Sevens is: Amos Roberts, Brett Howland, Frank Puletua, Shaun Ata, Aaron Barba, Daniel Russell, David McLean (c), Matthew Pow, Richard Fa’aoso, Frank Pritchard, Ben Rogers (emergency

*Sandy*

First Grade
That's fair enough. Besides last year it was mixed and we got to see the Rookies play some good football. Brett Howland and Daniel Russell were apart of the panthes last year. It's also a good chance to see Shaun Ata & Aaron Barba in action since i have heard so much about them. Looking forward to it.

Whilst we are on the 7's good to see the ex panthers having run's in their respective clubs.

Stevie Turner & Luke Dyer both for Storm
Hicksy will turn out for Manly
Satts', Spud & Ben Reynolds all playing for Tigers.

mightypanther

Juniors
As I said on the NRL forum.

There is still plenty of pace there and a few experienced heads.

We may not win the whole thing.......but we will go ok.

And it's much more important that we field the full grand final side for the WCC.

It would be pointless to risk injuries, the mantle of World Club Champion is too
important, both for Penrith and for the publicity of the game internationally.

The Rhino

Juniors
Shame Ch 9 don't see that way, MP. Buffoons!!! Looks like they (Ch 9) will be letting us down and even Fox aren't really coming to the party - but at least they are showing it but at noon on FoxSports2. Well done, Channel 9, you buffoons, you showed the last 3 or 4 WCCs, shame shame shame.

Big Mick

Referee
I think its a great squad.

Good on Danny Galea.

Looks like he'll be taking the 17th spot on offer after Sattler left.

WEll done.

choc_soldier

Coach
I've got no complaints with the squad. Still got plenty of size and speed, and could be a chance of topping our pool.

mightypanther

Juniors
Do you mean that we won't be having our all night Panthers session,
and watching the game live?

Bloody Channel 9............morons..........give the damn contract to anyone else.

It doesn't matter who, no-one could possibly do a worse job of televising and
promoting the game than they do. (OR DON'T).

How can you get any atmosphere watching it at lunchtime.........hours after the event?

Whoever is in charge of the programming of 9's sport should sacked immediately.
The twit doesn't have a bloody clue.

Caged Panther

First Grade
The Rhino said:
Shame Ch 9 don't see that way, MP. Buffoons!!! Looks like they (Ch 9) will be letting us down and even Fox aren't really coming to the party - but at least they are showing it but at noon on FoxSports2. Well done, Channel 9, you buffoons, you showed the last 3 or 4 WCCs, shame shame shame.

Who did you speak to rhino?

No offence but I will wait until the tv program comes out in a few weeks. You probably spoke to some pleb without a clue. Then again maybe you didn't. But lord knows why they wouldn't show it. What else is that important at 6am on a saturday morning that they wouldn't show it.

mightypanther

Juniors
Yeah, that's what I reckon Caged Panther,

But if the person Rhino spoke is right........then it really is shame on you 9 :evil:

lainey

Juniors
I don't mind the 7's team we have. They may be unknowns to some people now but they are our stars of the future!!!!! :D :clap: