What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Blueprint for Expansion

nqboy

First Grade
We must plan to expand nationally in the future. I reckon the Gold Coast should be next in and I like the idea of the Bears reborn on the CC as I think they were dudded by the NRL in the past. Wellington's a good idea too, for the health and future of international football and to stop the bleeding of kiwi youngsters to aussie clubs.

After that, I would be looking to relocate clubs from the overcrowded Sydney market into Perth and Adelaide. Wests Tigers is a natural candidate for Perth. If the club announced their intention to move to Perth four years in advance, you could build support over that time and the locals would know you are serious. One stipulation would be retaining the colours and logo (maybe with the WARL added at the completion of the move). You would start by playing a couple of games there one year with both teams in town for the week running clinics, establishing corporate ties, forging links with the WARL and so on. The next year, play four games there, including one featuring a big name opponent. The third year play six there with another big name opponent featuring in one of them. As the support grows, get into the schools and establish a junior competition.

In the fourth year, I'd move there fulltime but play two homegames in Sydney on an ongoing basis as a reward for supporters there. Sydney members could be offered deals where they get free admission to these games and the away games the club plays in NSW. Throw in free travel on public transport. The club would train and stay in their old areas (Leichardt and Campbelltown) to run clinics and bolster support.

An important consideration in this prooposal would be NRL TV coveragein WA. I don't know what it's like at the moment but knowing Nein's record, I would suspect that they don't get Friday Night Football at 8.30pm and Sunday afternoon coverage at 4.00pm. If the NRL wanted it to happen, they'd have to get off their arse and enlist the support of their corporate partners, namely Nein. Unless the locals can follow the NRL and their would-be team, the move is likely to falter and fail.

It's not hard, it just requires some imagination and there's a motza to be made, both for the club and the NRL.

Now, I realise I'm probably going to cop some serious vitriol from Tiger supporters and I can only urge them to look at the bigger picture. You still get two home games a year and members get free travel and entry to 10 or so 'away' games in NSW, most in the Sydney area. On top of this, the club will grow bigger and better by broadening its base and opening up a whole new market with an entire state behind them in addition to the support they currently enjoy.

And yeah, there are going to be holes in my plan but it's a blueprint, broad brushstrokes that can be tweaked and fine-tuned to fit the circumstances.

dimitri

First Grade
i kinda agree

gold coast and wellington are important

relocation would be good but cannot be forced

the swans and lions have worked in the afl but have taken a little while

in the future we want perth, adelaide, gc, wellington and cc

.............and without a super league war to kill them all off

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anonymous

Juniors
nqboy said:
We must plan to expand nationally in the future. I reckon the Gold Coast should be next in and I like the idea of the Bears reborn on the CC as I think they were dudded by the NRL in the past. Wellington's a good idea too, for the health and future of international football and to stop the bleeding of kiwi youngsters to aussie clubs.

After that, I would be looking to relocate clubs from the overcrowded Sydney market into Perth and Adelaide. Wests Tigers is a natural candidate for Perth. If the club announced their intention to move to Perth four years in advance, you could build support over that time and the locals would know you are serious. One stipulation would be retaining the colours and logo (maybe with the WARL added at the completion of the move). You would start by playing a couple of games there one year with both teams in town for the week running clinics, establishing corporate ties, forging links with the WARL and so on. The next year, play four games there, including one featuring a big name opponent. The third year play six there with another big name opponent featuring in one of them. As the support grows, get into the schools and establish a junior competition.

In the fourth year, I'd move there fulltime but play two homegames in Sydney on an ongoing basis as a reward for supporters there. Sydney members could be offered deals where they get free admission to these games and the away games the club plays in NSW. Throw in free travel on public transport. The club would train and stay in their old areas (Leichardt and Campbelltown) to run clinics and bolster support.

An important consideration in this prooposal would be NRL TV coveragein WA. I don't know what it's like at the moment but knowing Nein's record, I would suspect that they don't get Friday Night Football at 8.30pm and Sunday afternoon coverage at 4.00pm. If the NRL wanted it to happen, they'd have to get off their arse and enlist the support of their corporate partners, namely Nein. Unless the locals can follow the NRL and their would-be team, the move is likely to falter and fail.

It's not hard, it just requires some imagination and there's a motza to be made, both for the club and the NRL.

Now, I realise I'm probably going to cop some serious vitriol from Tiger supporters and I can only urge them to look at the bigger picture. You still get two home games a year and members get free travel and entry to 10 or so 'away' games in NSW, most in the Sydney area. On top of this, the club will grow bigger and better by broadening its base and opening up a whole new market with an entire state behind them in addition to the support they currently enjoy.

And yeah, there are going to be holes in my plan but it's a blueprint, broad brushstrokes that can be tweaked and fine-tuned to fit the circumstances.

Get f**ked mate. I would have had no problem with Balmain moving anywhere. But my club merged for clubs like yours to have a spot. I understand there are too many Sydney clubs. But if we were to move after already having to merge, that's it for me.

Big Bunny

Juniors
It’s funny but I keep hearing the same old call that Sydney has too many teams, but never has a single person bothered to quantify that statement. If there are too many teams, then explain if you will just what advantages the remaining clubs will have and how that would impact on the NRL and its future growth. You could reduce the number of clubs in Sydney to three and you’d only be doing the AFL and NSWRU a favor. Rugby league is a tribal game and you can’t redistribute loyalties; that has been proven true time and time again yet there are still a legion of people who make big calls without understanding their own stance.

Moving the Tigers would be a half measure and poor one at that. Kudos to people for wanting to see a truly national league (in geographic terms), but building expansion teams from the ground up is the way to go. All that the suggested transplant would achieve is that a large section of the Sydney rugby league community would become disenfranchised, the gap created from such a poor move would take generations to heal and thus it provide the remaining NRL teams with little to no gain. Don’t understand yet? How about we examine what has happened in the past. That way we’ll skip the grand plans, “blueprints” and rubbish that aren’t based in fact and have little to do with reality. Look at Manly for example numero uno. What huge benefits has the club made since the demise of the North Sydney Bears? Sweet F.A! That club now has the run of everything north of the coathanger but it isn’t helping their finances is it? Sure their local rival is gone and perhaps they might pick up a few bears juniors but is there really any impact on their future? Manly seem to be getting back on track but you can bet that their crowds aren’t exactly sprinkled with any significant number of ex Bear fans and their corporate earnings won’t be any different either.

Some people seem to think that fewer teams in Sydney will equal more revenue from the corporate sector for the remaining clubs. Well that is probably the most simplistic and over the top line of thought in rugby league. We’re dealing with a national league here people; the big bikkies are and always shall be from national and international companies. Those companies will always go to whomever has the best marketing department and who can put the best case forward for why they should be associated with a club. If geography and the density of clubs in a particular area were the prime concerns of those businesses then South Sydney would not be the club currently with the highest sponsorship level in the league.

If the Tigers move you’ll leave Campbelltown open to the AFL and Rugby Union in what is the fastest growing area in Sydney and a high number of their fans will be lost to the NRL. If Souths move it will do nothing for the Roosters because the club would continue to draw from Souths Juniors regardless of where it is based. If the club were to be kicked out once again you only need to look at history to see what a negative impact that will have on the game. The Roosters would gain the benefit of the juniors, their crowds wouldn’t lift, but their business certainly wouldn’t be given any significant boost because they are already an efficiently run and well-backed club. Drop Cronulla and that’s 15-20,000 regular fans lost with only a small portion of those drifting on to the Dragons. There are very few positives to be gained by removing clubs. If a club fades away then so be it, but killing it is just a foolish option. Why people don’t see that is a true shame because it’s a symptom of limited vision and a poor understanding of the overall picture.

I’m all for expansion, the more the better, but that is a separate issue to rationalisation and what people need to be aware of is that these two issues are not intrinsically linked as some would have us believe.

pcpp

Juniors
They do get Friday Night Football and Sunday Afternoon Football.

It's jsut AFL.

8:30 Fri in WA is a 2hr delayed AFL game

Latest posts