What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League '12-13 :: Round 16

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
With Jobdog off enjoying some summer sun, I'm stepping in to fill the breach :cool:

LU-HALr16-2012-13_zps4f1aca4c.jpg

Top clash coming up in Tassie, should be a cracker!

Big Sam

First Grade
If Sydney beat Heart and Perth lose, I think there could be just a 2 point gap between last and 5th.

Timmah

Staff member
Current ladder:

CCM 33
ADL 29
MVC 26
WSW 23
PER 19
MHT 18
BRI 17
NEW 17
NIX 16
SYD 14

Roar and Newcastle would have to draw, and the Nix would have to beat or draw with WSW but yes, you're right

My tips...
Adelaide
Mariners
Newcastle
WSW
Draw

Timmah

Staff member
Adelaide and Jets tips correct so far, CCM with a draw.

Intriguing race home being set up?

Brisbane are terrible atm. Im astounded that Berisha scored so many last season, massively over-achieved, he was useless and has been all season. Broich has dropped off massively. Steff had an absolute shocker.

Halloran, Smith & Franjic seem to be the only 3 playing good week in week out.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Good to see the Jets have stopped gifting the opposition goals. Two successive clean sheets. Can't do much better than that defensively.

Did quite enjoy Brisbane having a whinge whenever any possible opportunity arose last night. Newsflash fellas - you got most of the 50-50 calls go your way :lol:

Oh and Berisha is a whiny little bitch.

Timmah

Staff member
Brisbane are terrible atm. Im astounded that Berisha scored so many last season, massively over-achieved, he was useless and has been all season. Broich has dropped off massively. Steff had an absolute shocker.

Halloran, Smith & Franjic seem to be the only 3 playing good week in week out.

Steffanuto looked like he was reading of a script in his post-game interview last night. Cringeworthy, struggling to be genuine.

Something's up at Brisbane, there's gotta be player unrest or something.

Timmah

Staff member
While they still could win this, SFC are a farce.

ADP is even looking disinterested now and Abbas and he had a set-to.

And now I've just watched Emerton butcher the easiest goal scoring opportunity in A-League history...

Misanthrope

Staff member
How a side with Culina, Emerton, and ADP starting is so toothless is beyond me. Embarassing.

Come to Newcastle, ADP. We'll pair you with Heskey and you can enjoy football again.

Big Sam

First Grade
Jokes aside, Heart have to be the worst leaders in Australian sport. Butchered 3 points against Newcastle and today, almost butchered last week, and should've won the derby but ended up coming away with nothing. All in the last 15 mins.

I'm sure I've missed some other examples as well.

Anyway 3 pt gap between 5th and last sets up A-League fans nicely for the final 11 weeks.

Misanthrope

Staff member
How a side with Culina, Emerton, and ADP starting is so toothless is beyond me. Embarassing.

I stand by my point. That side should never be struggling to put points on the board.

Timmah

Staff member

Did you read the first few words of my post? I clearly said FC could still win it.

And given how inept Heart are, I'm not surprised they did.

I honestly wonder how long Heart are going to last more than 1 or 2 more seasons. The current model and such poor crowds surely aren't sustainable... only the Melbourne derby is any chop and that's arguably weighted to Victory.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Should never have just invented a generic club to represent an area the Victory already had covered. Either they need(ed) ties to an existing club such as South Melbourne, or they needed to be based out of a distinctly different area. Maybe a relocation to Geelong?

Big Sam

First Grade
I honestly wonder how long Heart are going to last more than 1 or 2 more seasons. The current model and such poor crowds surely aren't sustainable... only the Melbourne derby is any chop and that's arguably weighted to Victory.

Well they're economically sustainable. They broke even in their second season which is better than most of the clubs who started in 05-06. Plus the new broadcast deal will ensure the survival of all clubs.

And their crowds are actually going in the right direction. If you take the derby crowds out, their average has gone from 5.5k in 10-11 to 6.5k this year. That's still better than all the other expansion clubs bar WSW.

Misanthrope's right though. A change of identity will help. Whether it's changing home ground or adding North/South/East/West to their name - whatever. Either will provide a greater point of difference to Victory than just a different colour scheme.

Valheru

Coach
Should never have just invented a generic club to represent an area the Victory already had covered. Either they need(ed) ties to an existing club such as South Melbourne, or they needed to be based out of a distinctly different area. Maybe a relocation to Geelong?

Well this answers my question of what differentiates the Heart from the Victory.

So in reality it is nothing? It made sense to ass WSW and I could see why some fans would jump ship from SFC to them but why on Earth would anyone jump from the Victory to Heart if they simply represent the same area?

Latest posts