What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little bit of Loyalty

thebigredv

First Grade
I know money makes the world go round, but both Packer and Dugan were offered lifelines by our club. Any rumours suggesting Sharks or anyone else is offering Dugan $1 mill a season is absolute rubbish. Whatever we have offered would be a fair amount, even if we aren't able to match dollar for dollar with other clubs. Look how many games he misses for one thing.

Let's not forget we practically fought tooth and nail to redeem Russell's career from prison to the penthouse, and Josh had blown it a couple of times when we reached out to him. They bother have been happy at the Dragons and have repaid much of the faith we placed in them. Both players are crucial to continuing on this path to some kind of success.

Obviously, I know neither player is irreplaceable but we save a lot on cohesion, and a little on the cap if we don't have to look elsewhere for a new back and forward.

Come on boys, stay in the red and white!

possm

Coach
The Widdop deal would indicate that all players these days want to be paid market price; they don't want to be underpaid. Once media reports stated Hunt got a 1m p/y deal, both of our marquee players - Dugan and Widdop - would have been convinced by their managers that they were also worth 1m.

I believe Widdop always wanted to stay and was glad to settle for less than 1m because it was a significant pay rise and his family is happy and settled in the gong. Dugan on the other hand took exception to Millward's valuation of him as a centre and with the help of his clever manager, stood firm trying to prove a point.

For Packer, I believe he would have rather stayed at the Dragons however, 1m more over 4 years was too much of a sacrifice to stay. I'm sure if he was offered a 600k contract over 3 years in January, he would have snapped it up.

What a mess, a Millward mess.

The calm one

Juniors
I know money makes the world go round, but both Packer and Dugan were offered lifelines by our club. Any rumours suggesting Sharks or anyone else is offering Dugan $1 mill a season is absolute rubbish. Whatever we have offered would be a fair amount, even if we aren't able to match dollar for dollar with other clubs. Look how many games he misses for one thing.

Let's not forget we practically fought tooth and nail to redeem Russell's career from prison to the penthouse, and Josh had blown it a couple of times when we reached out to him. They bother have been happy at the Dragons and have repaid much of the faith we placed in them. Both players are crucial to continuing on this path to some kind of success.

Obviously, I know neither player is irreplaceable but we save a lot on cohesion, and a little on the cap if we don't have to look elsewhere for a new back and forward.

Come on boys, stay in the red and white!
There are three things that go straight out the window in Buisness. Loyalty, trust and friendships. Rugby league is a Buisness no different to any other Buisness. If you got to s$&t on a few people to climb to No 1, so be it.

blacksafake

First Grade
Loyalty is no longer a factor in the game anymore, players or clubs. The $$ is too good to refuse most of the time. The only way loyalty could possibly come into it is if you are a local junior who has come up through the grades & the club has looked after you. Packer or Dugan obviously don't have this connection so when a rival club offers the sort of $ they would be mad not to take it seriously.

Walpole

Juniors
I think the thing to remember is that us, the fans, care a lot more about the club than any of the players. We've been supporting them our whole lives (which in some cases is a very long time) and our loyalty to the team is far greater than someone who's been paid extremely well to wear a particular coloured jersey for a few years. I mean, some players will play for 3 or 4 clubs in their career but what are the chances of any of us changing teams?

thebigredv

First Grade
It's still not unheard for players to take pay cuts to remain with their club of choice. Surely these two players will consider this. I agree that if we are talking a difference of $1 million over 4 years would be too hard to pass up but I can't imagine any club is that mad to splurge so irresponsibly.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If i played for the Dragons and was a junior and if scumnulla/bullgrubs/Purpleshit offered me $1m more, i would be signing with them as well, no loyalty anymore...

The calm one

Juniors
It's still not unheard for players to take pay cuts to remain with their club of choice. Surely these two players will consider this. I agree that if we are talking a difference of $1 million over 4 years would be too hard to pass up but I can't imagine any club is that mad to splurge so irresponsibly.
If it was the players choice and the players choice only it would happen on a more regular basis. What the problem is, low life, sleazy managers constantly in the players ear telling him what to do, Remember the more the manager gets for the player, the more he earns. It also makes the manager look good when he applys his sleeze to younger players who show promise. He then has bragging rights to convince the kid to go with him. E.G. Hey kid I got Packer x amount from the Tigers, I can do the same for you, blah,blah crap on.They have the morals of a used car salesman on Parramatta Rd.

The Widdop deal would indicate that all players these days want to be paid market price; they don't want to be underpaid. Once media reports stated Hunt got a 1m p/y deal, both of our marquee players - Dugan and Widdop - would have been convinced by their managers that they were also worth 1m.

I believe Widdop always wanted to stay and was glad to settle for less than 1m because it was a significant pay rise and his family is happy and settled in the gong. Dugan on the other hand took exception to Millward's valuation of him as a centre and with the help of his clever manager, stood firm trying to prove a point.

For Packer, I believe he would have rather stayed at the Dragons however, 1m more over 4 years was too much of a sacrifice to stay. I'm sure if he was offered a 600k contract over 3 years in January, he would have snapped it up.

What a mess, a Millward mess.
The way you go on about things the club is doomed and the sky is falling seriously if they both move on so be it.

Again your presume to know how the club has negotiated with both players and are happy to make assumptions based on what exactly the rumours and ramblings of the media who again generate stories to make the game drama filled.

Packer has not signed with the Tigers as far as i am aware and until he officially does he is still a Dragon and if he happens to move on then he can go to the Tigers.

Dugan again if he is seeking a massive pay day then off he goes to and honestly i don't see the Sharks forking out that kind of money hell losing Bird and gaining Dugan they are actually getting less from that deal.

Latest posts