What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little disappointing

Choo Choo

Juniors
This is very disappointing. We are ignoring the largest and most competitive league in the US. We are not saying that it is anywhere near the Queensland league, but to be ignored is just another petty action.

Well said Tom.

Choo Choo

Juniors
Another sad point is that there are a few players on the returning Northern Virginia (Fairfax) Eagles squad that should be considered for the Tomahawks and won't be considered; and they ARE part of the AMNRL. I'd be shocked if one of them got selected by David.

Evil Homer

Staff member
If things carry on the way they are, before too long the 'USA Tomahawks' will pretty much just be an Australian-exclusive organization. If that happens, I would suggest that the genuine USA clubs and players should consider forming their own national team.

YellowJacket

Juniors
Is that possible? Do you think the RLIF will buy in to such a "revolt" by forming our own national side. I mean last time I checked they have been pretty silent on this whole situation. Why won't they step in? If anybody can they can.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Is that possible? Do you think the RLIF will buy in to such a "revolt" by forming our own national side. I mean last time I checked they have been pretty silent on this whole situation. Why won't they step in? If anybody can they can.
Because the RLIF is a really, really poor organization. They don't have any offices, any sort of constitution, any paid staff, and until recently they didn't even have a website. In honesty it's just a means for Australia, NZ and England to arrange fixtures amongst themselves rather than a genuine world governing body. They do literally nothing for any developing nations, they probably couldn't even name most of the nations that play RL and up until about 8 years ago any nations that took up the game were just left to fend for themselves. Pretty much all of the development work in the last 8 or so years has been done by the RLEF (European Federation), so much so that virtually all RL playing nations in the Northern Hemisphere (including the likes of Canada and Jamaica) are now affiliated with the RLEF. The USA is probably the only one that is not. In fact, according to the RLIF website USA isn't a member of the RLIF either, not that that means anything.

Last edited:

YellowJacket

Juniors
That's pretty pathetic to be quite honest with you. How can they call themselves an international body yet they don't involve themselves of the affairs of the entire rugby league world. Do you know how they raise funds. What about the IRB how do they raise money? I'm just wondering.

Evil Homer

Staff member
That's pretty pathetic to be quite honest with you. How can they call themselves an international body yet they don't involve themselves of the affairs of the entire rugby league world. Do you know how they raise funds. What about the IRB how do they raise money? I'm just wondering.
Yeah, if you stick around these forums you'll see that it's probably the biggest bone of contention with international RL fans. Bad organization and management is probably the main thing that has held RL back over the years. Thankfully the RLEF have come along and are really doing the RLIF's job for them, things seem to be changing and so hopefully within a couple of years the RLEF will swallow up the RLIF and we can move forward.

Regarding the IRB, I don't know for sure but they have a well organized international calendar every year which gives them a regular source of income. Also, there are some pretty rich people involved in rugby union which allowed them to expand the sport in the first place.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Thankfully the RLEF have come along and are really doing the RLIF's job for them, things seem to be changing and so hopefully within a couple of years the RLEF will swallow up the RLIF and we can move forward.

The RLEF are not doing the job for them its the bloody mindedness of individuals in Norway, Serbia, Germany, Malta etc that got this started not the RLEF. The RLEF support them but not as much as they should do. Dont believe all the hype from the RLEF as there is many problems underneath that.
The game is badly run on many levels and its a disgrace to see Americans being frozen out of playing for their country. Heritage players are OK but you cant go overloading a National team with them as for me it cheapens the Jersey and causes more problems. I hope the American born lads stay with the game and dontget too pissed off

Evil Homer

Staff member
The RLEF are not doing the job for them its the bloody mindedness of individuals in Norway, Serbia, Germany, Malta etc that got this started not the RLEF. The RLEF support them but not as much as they should do. Dont believe all the hype from the RLEF as there is many problems underneath that.
The game is badly run on many levels and its a disgrace to see Americans being frozen out of playing for their country. Heritage players are OK but you cant go overloading a National team with them as for me it cheapens the Jersey and causes more problems. I hope the American born lads stay with the game and dontget too pissed off
I know that the RLEF aren't as effective as they could be, what I meant was they are doing the job that the RLIF should be doing in terms of overseeing and supporting developing nations and trying to implement some sort of logical structure. Whether or not they always go about it the right way, at least they have good intentions, unlike the RLIF who don't seem to give a shit. And even though they aren't perfect, they are an immeasurable improvement on the RLIF.

Last edited:

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors

Mainly from world cups. The country that gets the world cup must guarantee a certain amount of profit to the IRB. This basically comes from the ticket sales. The taxpayers have to make up the remainder. So I could be wrong but I think NZ tax payers had to fork out close to $100 million.

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
The IRB was expecting to make about NZ$200 million profit from the last world cup. So thats a lot of money that can be spent on development and paying for staff.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Mainly from world cups. The country that gets the world cup must guarantee a certain amount of profit to the IRB. This basically comes from the ticket sales. The taxpayers have to make up the remainder. So I could be wrong but I think NZ tax payers had to fork out close to $100 million.

It was about 26 Mil... 2/3 of the ticket shortfall of 39 Mil... but yes the IRBs main source of income is the RWC.

league13

Juniors

And the rate payers too.I was one of them.

league13

Juniors
The IRB was expecting to make about NZ$200 million profit from the last world cup. So thats a lot of money that can be spent on development and paying for staff.

The NZRU made loss on the World Cup of at least $40,000,000 Despite the being subsidised by those in my previos post.

the fact that David Niu continues to ignore the work that is done by the USARL is only delaying the sport from going further in the USA. A lot of hard work is being put in by clubs such as Rhode Island, Jacksonville, Boston etc.. to be fair to they should at least get to host an International next year. USA vs Ireland in Boston, USA vs Canada in Rhode Island, USA vs Melbourne Storm in Jacksonville, and France vs USA in New York. We could just let the game die away and watch rugby union get further and further ahead of us or we can just put differences aside and continue the hard work and development that goes on.

Having games held in places such as Jacksonville, RI, Boston, NY could mean bigger crowds and more money for rugby league in the USA. The money made should go to junior development instead of just sending players over to Australia hoping they've come back and learnt more from the trip but realise that they get limited amount of game time because Australian clubs have their own players coming through. The AMNRL and USARL clubs for now should end next season with the top 2 teams playing off for the USA Championship. Both leagues can have players selected for the national team and eventually working to have the top teams from both leagues compete in a new professional league.

Evil Homer

Staff member
the fact that David Niu continues to ignore the work that is done by the USARL is only delaying the sport from going further in the USA. A lot of hard work is being put in by clubs such as Rhode Island, Jacksonville, Boston etc.. to be fair to they should at least get to host an International next year. USA vs Ireland in Boston, USA vs Canada in Rhode Island, USA vs Melbourne Storm in Jacksonville, and France vs USA in New York. We could just let the game die away and watch rugby union get further and further ahead of us or we can just put differences aside and continue the hard work and development that goes on.
Just selecting their players would be a start.

YellowJacket

Juniors
Is the RLIF similar to the IRB in terms of guaranteeing profits from the host or the sport isn't big enough to do such a thing.

Latest posts