What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A message for Souths fans

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Is it any wonder that your crap club can't sign any decent players. Souths are serial wooden spooners, They haven't made the semis since 1989, they haven't won a comp since 1971 and the last time you beat the Roosters in a premiership game was 1994.
After reading your charming comments about Harrison I'm sure he can't wait to get out of the place. The bloke has tried his guts out for Souths, week in week out and yet what has he got to show for it. Souths are 2nd last and a fourth consecutive wooden spoon is well and truly on the cards. The outlook for next year is even worse. Playing in a crap side in front of 6000 in the biggest stadium in Australia, the atmosphere will be non existant. Add to this the other fact that Souths will get smashed from pillar to post would hardly give the bloke a reason to re-sign.
Someone said that he should be hung, drawn and quartered for knocking back Souths captaincy to sign with Easts, that it's the ultimate insult. I'll let you in on a little secret....It's not 1971 anymore and Souths ARE NOT a rugby league powerhouse, instead they are a laughing stock. Any player who wants a shot at premiership glory will join Brisbane, Canterbury, Parra, Easts and maybe one other.
That's why Ashley Harrison has joined the Roosters. It's why Chris Walker joined the Roosters, It's why Craig Wing stayed with Easts even though his contract gave him the option of going back to Souths on their readmittance. It's why Bell joined Manly and it's why Orford will join Manly and also why Braith Anasta will announce tomorrow that he has signed with Easts. Anasta, a player who's uncle is the patriarch of Souths. A player who was offered $700,000 to be a rabbitoh and yet through all of this Anasta has decided to join a club where he has a realistic chance of winning a comp and a realistic chance of improving his rep career.
The notion that Souths are the pride of the comp is a misnomer. Souths future is on thin ice and unless they move to the Central Coast and take advantage of what that area has to offer them then they may as well register with the Metro Cup because that is where they are heading!

so did ricky stuart attend the press conference for the announcement?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
so did ricky stuart attend the press conference for the announcement?

He's too busy trying to sign even more high profile players to attend a press conference ;-)

Moffo

Referee
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Is it any wonder that your crap club can't sign any decent players. Souths are serial wooden spooners, They haven't made the semis since 1989, they haven't won a comp since 1971 and the last time you beat the Roosters in a premiership game was 1994.
After reading your charming comments about Harrison I'm sure he can't wait to get out of the place. The bloke has tried his guts out for Souths, week in week out and yet what has he got to show for it. Souths are 2nd last and a fourth consecutive wooden spoon is well and truly on the cards. The outlook for next year is even worse. Playing in a crap side in front of 6000 in the biggest stadium in Australia, the atmosphere will be non existant. Add to this the other fact that Souths will get smashed from pillar to post would hardly give the bloke a reason to re-sign.
Someone said that he should be hung, drawn and quartered for knocking back Souths captaincy to sign with Easts, that it's the ultimate insult. I'll let you in on a little secret....It's not 1971 anymore and Souths ARE NOT a rugby league powerhouse, instead they are a laughing stock. Any player who wants a shot at premiership glory will join Brisbane, Canterbury, Parra, Easts and maybe one other.
That's why Ashley Harrison has joined the Roosters. It's why Chris Walker joined the Roosters, It's why Craig Wing stayed with Easts even though his contract gave him the option of going back to Souths on their readmittance. It's why Bell joined Manly and it's why Orford will join Manly and also why Braith Anasta will announce tomorrow that he has signed with Easts. Anasta, a player who's uncle is the patriarch of Souths. A player who was offered $700,000 to be a rabbitoh and yet through all of this Anasta has decided to join a club where he has a realistic chance of winning a comp and a realistic chance of improving his rep career.
The notion that Souths are the pride of the comp is a misnomer. Souths future is on thin ice and unless they move to the Central Coast and take advantage of what that area has to offer them then they may as well register with the Metro Cup because that is where they are heading!

f**k you you stupid dickhead

drake

First Grade
Rooster Cogburn: bringing people together.

After terrible rows over raised elbows and cat punches, RC returns to unite all with one ideal:
f**k you Cogburn!

KFC

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
I partly agree with some of what you're saying but my question is this. What can they do?

1. They're one of the top 3 sponsored clubs in terms of dollars in the NRL.
2. They receive $5m a year in corporate support.
3. They are one of few clubs to remain financially solvent without relying on a League's Club grant, and thus won't be affected by the pokie tax.
4. Because of the above they are now financially viable (which they weren't in the late 90's) and have the money to offer players.
5. After 2 years out, the junior talent is starting to shine though. John Sutton, Yileen Gordon, Beau Champion, Shannon McPherson, Manase Manuokafoa, Mick Moran, Roy Bell all come through the grades. Champion and Gordon were part of last year's SG grand final side. They're used to winning.
6. They need to buy some senior players to help these young guys through. You see it with Brisbane.. they can pick 17 year olds because they have the old heads to help them.
7. They offer good money, it's a nice area to live in (no not Redfern, I mean Botany, Maroubra, etc).

What else can they do except the above? It will take some name players with balls and the desire to help us out to turn us around. Juniors can't do it alone.

After 15 years I just don't know when or how we can turn it around.

What do others think? And please don't just reply something along the lines of you're crap, a joke, move to the CC etc etc because I'm already feeling like sh*t.

Yobbo I understand you are upset and reading through your post it looks to me like there is nothing more you can do apart from wait.

I watched Souths on Saturday night and they played with spirit and commitment, more than I can say for my team this weekend.

Gordon, Champion, Sutton, Manuokafoa, Moran and Mad Pup are just a gew of the exciting young players that in time will see you climb the ladder.

I sympathise with your plight and understand your frustration, it's like Freeman leaving us for the Panthers in the early 90's I was gutted.

Chin up Yob you will survive.

Moffo

Referee
how do roosters fans feel about easts policy of ripping good players from other clubs ad nauseum as opposed to developing their own?

For mine, i hate it when the dogs buy established first graders. It like we are buying a premiership

But with the likes of Monaghan, Roberts, Firman, Harrison, Wing, Anasta, Hodges, Walker, Fitzgibbon, Finch etc etc etc all being bought to the club AFTER being established first graders in recent years, do you feel a lack of ownership in regards to who you see running out there week after week?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
In a way, Cogburn is right, although I wouldn't have put it as harshly.

Harrison to the Roosters was a no-brainer. Why in the world would he stay at a club that can't win more than 4 or 5 games each season?

He wants a rep career and he isn't going to get it at Souths.

Fairfax

Juniors
Moffo said:
how do roosters fans feel about easts policy of ripping good players from other clubs ad nauseum as opposed to developing their own?

For mine, i hate it when the dogs buy established first graders. It like we are buying a premiership

But with the likes of Monaghan, Roberts, Firman, Harrison, Wing, Anasta, Hodges, Walker, Fitzgibbon, Finch etc etc etc all being bought to the club AFTER being established first graders in recent years, do you feel a lack of ownership in regards to who you see running out there week after week?

Patten, Anasta, Williams, Ryan, Mason, Asotasi, Grimaldi, Lolesi, Maitua, Tonga, O'Meley, Czislowski... gee it's a great game, we can all play it.

KFC

Juniors
The fact is every team in the NRL is trying to buy a premiership.

Different teams go about it in different ways.

To be honest I don't know why we bought Harrison we have plenty of young talent in the club that given time could quite easily develop into top class first graders.

But our managemant wont stand for mediocrity and anything less than a GF appearance is frowned upon just ask Graham Murray.

And whilst I don't always agree with the way my club does business I'm an Eastern Suburbs boy through and through and I couldn't possibly support another team.

Moffo

Referee
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Moffo, quit while you're behind. BTW say g'day to Braith for me. :lol:

don't worry RC, you still brett finch and joel monaghan on your books, the joke is well and truly on you and your team :music1: \\\\:D/ :thumb

Bumble

First Grade
In 2006, the Roosters will be the first team in history to have ZERO juniors in their first grade team.

Ryan Cross is a rugby union convert, so don't say him.

Jake the snake said:
Anasta won't solve The Roosters massive problems next year. Your forward pack will be lacking.

I agree there.

Cayless
Cusack
Crocker (although this year ordinary and looks like a player wanting out)
Ricketson
Robinson

All gone or going within the last 12 months. Morley and Tupou the only recognised front rowers. There are a couple of young kids in the lower grades but they're not ready to challenge for a premiership yet.

Fairfax

Juniors
Bumble said:
In 2006, the Roosters will be the first team in history to have ZERO juniors in their first grade team.

Ryan Cross is a rugby union convert, so don't say him.

Who are the Melbourne juniors since 1999? Answers on the back of an envelope and mail it to NRL HQ!

KFC

Juniors
Ryan Cross started playing Rugby League with ST Charles an Easts Junior club before moving onto the Coogee Wombats and obviously Union at Waverly College.

Moffo said:

In the 80's and 90's I certainly did at times. Since 1999 and it was a bit different. Ricketson, Cusack, Cross and Fletcher had been there for years. Flannery, Bonetti, Crocker, Hegarty, Minichiello had been there for a while in the junior sides and had played solely for the Roosters. Fitzgibbon was discarded by Saints and came to us a bench player so I didn't mind him. Todd Byrne came up through the junior teams after being cut by Souths as a kid. So there was an established group of players that were solely Roosters orientated. Even the Paea boys and Ben Hannant and Nigel Plum have played firsts this year after being at Easts for a while. I believe our sucess in 2002 was due mainly to the fact that a lot of those players had been at the club since they were young and all came through together. It developed a good team spirit.

I do not like bringing in new players every year and personally cannot fathom why we let go Byrne and kept Walker. The Warriors are the only ones to have benefitted from that decision. I'd prefer a team that had come through pretty much together but sometimes it can't be that way. Spirit is developed not bought and without spirit you have nothing.

Dog-E

Juniors
Fairfax said:
Patten, Anasta, Williams, Ryan, Mason, Asotasi, Grimaldi, Lolesi, Maitua, Tonga, O'Meley, Czislowski... gee it's a great game, we can all play it.

Scuse me??

We at least put something into the DEVELOPMENT of our players!!!!

Patten - brought in from Saints Premier LEague - unwanted
Anasta - Not our fault Souths folded and he needed a new club - I SINCERELY doubt we'd have gone after him in the course of 'regular' business!
Williams - Oh PLEASE!!...Has been with the club since he was 15!
Ryan - Was playing Premier League at Parra at the time we signed him!!! Unbelievably!...Plus he was a childhood Dogs' fan growing up in Dubbo! :D
Mason - Taken from Newcastle when he was 16-17?
Asotasi - See Williams/Mason
Grimaldi - Another taken from St. George's reserves...athis 2nd spell with us after 2-3 years in the UK.
Lolesi - Ok, I'll give u J-Ho! He goes just wherever the $$$ are at!! :lol:
Maitua - Came thru our ranks after 1-2 years back with Souths after being enticed back into footy after GIVING up at one stage - after seeing what his good mate Braith had achieved!
Tonga - From Eels Premier League
O'Meley - Ok, we nabbed him cold!...and do u know what??...I am DAMNED GLAD we did!!..When we go after an 'established' player...it isn't just ANY & EVERY old bum, u know?! WELL known that Gould & Stuart have had several cracks at getting him over to Bondi - but were told in no uncertain terms where they could shove their dodgy offers! :p
Czislowski - From the Toowoomba Clydesdales...Now in OUR pl side!

Come again!??!?!?! :lol:

Fairfax

Juniors
Ryan & Tonga were first graders @ Parramatta, but as we know some sections of the Dogs community will say anything.

I know Patten was playing 1st grade @ Saints and I couldn't believe that the Dogs picked him up. As we know now, they were proven to be cheating the cap extensively.

How many Bulldogs juniors in that list?