What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A New Fresh Gb 17 For The Future

HUDDERSFIELDUK

Juniors
Lets get rid of the dead wood,heres my GB 17 for next year.

HEAD COACH - paul cullen
ASSISTANT COACHES - I would get 2 full time Assistant coaches,who could assist cullen and train the squad when cullen isnt available.
Maybe appoint James Lowes and paul Broadbent who have had fantastic reviews as Assistant coaches.

Dead wood to go -
Sean Long should never wear the GB shirt again.
Terry Newton,his time is up no impact made this year,too slow.
Paul Wellens,great SL player but not GB,does not offer enough in attack.
Keith Senior,will be 31 next year his time is up.
Brian Carney,we have to look at other wingers,he always struggles to perform for GB.

Stuart Fielden has had a poor series but has always performed in previous series and matched the aussies and Kiwis,he is only 27 and im sure he will be back next year.Stuart has had to suffer the loss of his mum who he was very close to,maybe this has effected his game.

Paul Sculthorpe,he has to retire now from test rugby,his knees are gone and Peacock does not deserve to lose the captaincy.

Sean O Loughlin,NOT test standard,too slow and predictable.

Heres my 25 man squad for next year which i feel would be more effective than the current squad,Players ages are all at the end of the 07 season.

1st 17 -

1 Shaun Briscoe HULL FC age 24,superb attacking player with great speed and support play which GB so often lack.

2 David Hodgson SALFORD REDS age 26,one of the fastest players in SL,he is safe in defense and can come up with a try from nothing.

3 Martin Gleeson WARRINGTON WOLVES age 27,has had a poor series this time but is only 26,his link with Briers would be crucial to our attack.

4 Kirk Yeaman HULL FC age 24,how on earth he was dropped last week i dont know,defensively superb and just as equal in attack.

5 Stuart Reardon WARRINGTON WOLVES age 26,has great skill and speed and has always finished well for GB,he had a great series in 2004 then noble chose to over look him.

6 Leon Pryce ST HELENS age 26,No 6 is his position and hes a great attacking weapon.

7 Lee Briers WARRINGTON WOLVES age 29,HAS TO BE IN,he has the best kicking game in SL by a lot,and has so much to offer.Why he never gets picked ill never know.

8 Adrian Morley WARRINGTON WOLVES age 31,still has loads to offer test rugby.

9 James Roby ST HELENS age 21,after this tri nations he should be give the no 9 shirt.

10 Jamie Peacock LEEDS RHINOS age 29,CAPTAIN,superb.

11 Gareth Hock WIGAN WARRIORS age 24,Will build on his performance in this years series and the experience will make him a far better player in 07.

12 Gareth ellis LEEDS RHINOS age 26,had a great series this time never stops.

13 Kevin Sinfield LEEDS RHINOS age 27,always over looked and a natural 13,who has a great kicking game and between him and Briers it should solve GB long lasting kicking game problem.

INTERCHANGE - - - - - -

14 Mick Higham WIGAN WARRIORS age 27,like Roby offers bags of speed from dummy half and very dangerous with the ball,Better than Newton.

15 Stuart Fielden WIGAN WARRIORS age 28,will be back next year im sure of it.

16 Jamie Langley BRADFORD BULLS age 23,Huge back rower or centre who would take a similar role to Gilmours but i feel he would be more effective.

17 Danny Sculthorpe WAKEFIELD WILDCATS age 28,Has so much to offer GB,has one of the best offloads in the game,a great ball playing,aggressive prop.Would need to keep his discipline though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

REST OF THE SQUAD

18 Chris Ashton WIGAN WARRIORS age 20.FULL BACK.
19 Martin Aspinwall HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS age 26.WINGER.
20 Ryan Atkins WAKEFIELD WILDCATS age 22.CENTRE.
21 Paul Deacon BRADFORD BULLS age 28.SCRUM HALF.
22 James Graham ST HELENS age 22.PROP.
23 Andy Coley SALFORD REDS age 29.PROP.
24 Sam Burgess BRADFORD BULLS age 18.SECOND ROW.Hailed the new SB WILLIAMS.
25 Stephen Wild HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS age 26.UTILITY.

If this squad was kept together and worked on i feel it would offer a lot at test level.
This is only my opinion so dont get angry about it.

:)

Ari Gold

Bench
Wellens
Carney
Yeaman
Atkins
Hodgson
Pryce
Briers
Graham
Roby
Peacock
Hock
Ellis
Cooke

Fielden
Morley
P Sculthorpe
Higham

That is what GB should run out with next year...

nqboy

First Grade
Why didn't Micky Higham tour this year?

Sinfield was touted as the Great White Hope and he offered nothing. Too small, not dangerous in attack or defence.

lucablight

First Grade
Carney does not deserve to be dropped. He has been awesome in past years. Gleeson is a nuffy and you want to keep him? Pryce at five eighth ahead of Mcguire?

HUDDERSFIELDUK

Juniors
Yes pryce ahead of Mc Guire by a mile.
Sinfield would offer a lot i feel,he has a great kicking game and is a good ball player.

lucablight

First Grade
Pryce is a waste at five eighth imo. He has no creativity and is a finisher. Nz can get away with Vagana at five eighth because they have Stacey Jones to run the show but GB need all the creativity they can get with no dominant halfback.

HUDDERSFIELDUK

Juniors
that is why briers at 7,who has twice outplayed jones this season,and infiled to link with briers.pryce is best attacking midfield.

D

Deleted member 10972

What i don't get with some of you is how you consistently name both Morley & Peacock in the front row. Neither are GENUINE frontrowers. Both are high standard backrowers though IMO. They can slot into the frontrow after interchanges, but as a starting pack they shouldn't be up front. Also, Sinfield is painfully overrated.

Great Britain next year:

1. Leon Pryce - Can play his roaming role more effectively from the back, will see more ball than when on the wing, plus also can play at 2nd receiver

2. David Hodgson - Ditto to HUK, though harsh on Brian Carney

3. Martin Gleeson - Ditto to HUK

4. Kirk Yeaman - Ditto to HUK

5. Stuart Reardon or Gareth Raynor - Raynor is very underrated, lightning fast, strong, & has a high workrate from dummy half too

6. Danny McGuire - still a high class 5-8 with all the potential in the world

7. Lee Briers - Ditto to HUK

8. Stuart Fielden - Ditto to HUK, except better starting

9. ???

10. Danny Sculthorpe/Nick Fozzard - Ditto to HUK on Danny if you want a skillful option, however Nick Fozzard is a good rawboned player too.

11. Adrian Morley - Ditto to HUK

12. Jamie Peacock - Ditto to HUK

13. Gareth Ellis - Ditto to HUK

INTERCHANGE

14. James Roby - Ditto to HUK, except preferred off the bench to up the ante when brought on.

15. Gareth Hock - Better off the bench to attack with pace out wide, as variation to the larger starting backrowers

16. James Graham - huge prospect, could step up to be the next big thing in the forwards for Great Britain

17. Andy Coley/Ryan Bailey - depends on form really

IMO, a big pack without all these garbage lightweight nuffies like Wilkin, Gilmour, O'Loughlin will be able to battle the fearsome Aussie & NZ packs.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Any side with Macguire.....dear oh me! He has NEVER EVER deleivered at test level and has played 7 or 8 tests already. Pryce is a better no6 than him!

HUDDERSFIELDUK

Juniors
Fozzard cant even get in the st helens 17.
McGuire tried and tested not good enough.
sinfield - always played out of position for GB,we have played him at 6 and 9,he is a loose forward and deserves a chance,he is miles better than o loughlin.

JasonE

Bench
nqboy said:
Why didn't Micky Higham tour this year?

Because the coach has no idea.
Higham starting and interchanging with Roby would've been much more dangerous than Newton.

innsaneink

Referee
JasonE said:
Because the coach has no idea.
Higham starting and interchanging with Roby would've been much more dangerous than Newton.

He was very impressive last year I think it was....one of GBs best.

Huddersfielduk:- Finally you post something of value, knew ya had it in ya.

D

Deleted member 10972

HUDDERSFIELDUK said:
Fozzard cant even get in the st helens 17.
McGuire tried and tested not good enough.
sinfield - always played out of position for GB,we have played him at 6 and 9,he is a loose forward and deserves a chance,he is miles better than o loughlin.

That's not the point. My point is that Moz & Peacock are backrowers, so there should be 4 props in the team NOT including those two. IMO, those should be Stuart Fielden, Danny Sculthorpe, Andy Coley & James Graham.

BTW, whatever happened to the wraps on Paul Wood, Gareth Carvell, Ewan Dowes, Paul King, Keith Mason, Eorl Crabtree, Darrell Griffin & Nick Fozzard? Surely some of these blokes have to be in contention (and yes, i AM aware that Carvell played a few games this series, & he played well for that matter).

innsaneink

Referee
I dunno a lot about the new blokes youve proposed, though some names are familiar like, Reardon, Aspinwall, Deacon and Sinfield....I agree totally with those you suggest are on the way out.

Long- Never again
Newton- Needs to look up the word 'creative'
Senior- Been waiting waiting waiting
Carney I'd possibly give another chance, Wellens Id give another shot unless someone definitely better is available

How about this 17 to face the Tri-Nations holders next year :

1. P Wellens
2. S Reardon
3. M Gleeson
4. K Yeaman
5. G Raynor
6. P Cooke
7. J Roby
8. S Fieldon
9. M Higham
10. J Graham
11. J Peacock
12. G Ellis
13. G Hock

14. L Briers
15. L Gilmour
16. A Morley
17. G Carvell

Roby imo would be a great scrum-half in the A Gregory mould. I'd like to see St Helens play him at 7 this year and move the quitter to 6. That pack could easily match the best Australia or N Zealand could produce.

Charge

Juniors
Anyone who still puts Wellens down has no idea of the quality full backs we have in GB. Wellens looks great behind a dominant team, but his speed is a major weakness at international level.

1. Chris Ashton
2. Mark Calderwood
3. Ryan Atkins
4. Kirk Yeaman
5. Gareth Raynor
6. Paul Cooke (Goal Kicker)
7. Luke Robinson
8. Stewart Fielden
9. Mick Higham
10. Eorl Crabtree
11. Gareth Hock
12. Jamie Peacock
13. Gareth Ellis

14. Adrian Morley
15. James Graham
16. James Roby
17. Lee Gilmore

screeny

Bench
HUDDERSFIELDUK said:
Lets get rid of the dead wood,heres my GB 17 for next year.

HEAD COACH - paul cullen
ASSISTANT COACHES - I would get 2 full time Assistant coaches,who could assist cullen and train the squad when cullen isnt available.
Maybe appoint James Lowes and paul Broadbent who have had fantastic reviews as Assistant coaches.

Dead wood to go -
Sean Long should never wear the GB shirt again.
Terry Newton,his time is up no impact made this year,too slow.
Paul Wellens,great SL player but not GB,does not offer enough in attack.
Keith Senior,will be 31 next year his time is up.
Brian Carney,we have to look at other wingers,he always struggles to perform for GB.

Stuart Fielden has had a poor series but has always performed in previous series and matched the aussies and Kiwis,he is only 27 and im sure he will be back next year.Stuart has had to suffer the loss of his mum who he was very close to,maybe this has effected his game.

Paul Sculthorpe,he has to retire now from test rugby,his knees are gone and Peacock does not deserve to lose the captaincy.

Sean O Loughlin,NOT test standard,too slow and predictable.

Heres my 25 man squad for next year which i feel would be more effective than the current squad,Players ages are all at the end of the 07 season.

1st 17 -

1 Shaun Briscoe HULL FC age 24,superb attacking player with great speed and support play which GB so often lack.

2 David Hodgson SALFORD REDS age 26,one of the fastest players in SL,he is safe in defense and can come up with a try from nothing.

3 Martin Gleeson WARRINGTON WOLVES age 27,has had a poor series this time but is only 26,his link with Briers would be crucial to our attack.

4 Kirk Yeaman HULL FC age 24,how on earth he was dropped last week i dont know,defensively superb and just as equal in attack.

5 Stuart Reardon WARRINGTON WOLVES age 26,has great skill and speed and has always finished well for GB,he had a great series in 2004 then noble chose to over look him.

6 Leon Pryce ST HELENS age 26,No 6 is his position and hes a great attacking weapon.

7 Lee Briers WARRINGTON WOLVES age 29,HAS TO BE IN,he has the best kicking game in SL by a lot,and has so much to offer.Why he never gets picked ill never know.

8 Adrian Morley WARRINGTON WOLVES age 31,still has loads to offer test rugby.

9 James Roby ST HELENS age 21,after this tri nations he should be give the no 9 shirt.

10 Jamie Peacock LEEDS RHINOS age 29,CAPTAIN,superb.

11 Gareth Hock WIGAN WARRIORS age 24,Will build on his performance in this years series and the experience will make him a far better player in 07.

12 Gareth ellis LEEDS RHINOS age 26,had a great series this time never stops.

13 Kevin Sinfield LEEDS RHINOS age 27,always over looked and a natural 13,who has a great kicking game and between him and Briers it should solve GB long lasting kicking game problem.

INTERCHANGE - - - - - -

14 Mick Higham WIGAN WARRIORS age 27,like Roby offers bags of speed from dummy half and very dangerous with the ball,Better than Newton.

15 Stuart Fielden WIGAN WARRIORS age 28,will be back next year im sure of it.

16 Jamie Langley BRADFORD BULLS age 23,Huge back rower or centre who would take a similar role to Gilmours but i feel he would be more effective.

17 Danny Sculthorpe WAKEFIELD WILDCATS age 28,Has so much to offer GB,has one of the best offloads in the game,a great ball playing,aggressive prop.Would need to keep his discipline though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

REST OF THE SQUAD

18 Chris Ashton WIGAN WARRIORS age 20.FULL BACK.
19 Martin Aspinwall HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS age 26.WINGER.
20 Ryan Atkins WAKEFIELD WILDCATS age 22.CENTRE.
21 Paul Deacon BRADFORD BULLS age 28.SCRUM HALF.
22 James Graham ST HELENS age 22.PROP.
23 Andy Coley SALFORD REDS age 29.PROP.
24 Sam Burgess BRADFORD BULLS age 18.SECOND ROW.Hailed the new SB WILLIAMS.
25 Stephen Wild HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS age 26.UTILITY.

If this squad was kept together and worked on i feel it would offer a lot at test level.
This is only my opinion so dont get angry about it.

:)

Ooooh.....good squad, I like it more or less.

I've said for a long time that, no matter how brave or positionally/technically sound he is, Paul Wellens just ain't fast enough for Test football and for that reason and that reason alone he shouldn't be in the GB set up. That's a sad fact of life. He ain't got it and never will.

Hodgson can take a running jump, though, unless he's magically improved ten-fold in the last 12-months. He is appalingly average. I'd stick Raynor in his stead.

And Sinfield is my most hated player. Much ado about nothing. He can't be much quicker than O'Loughlin, and O'Loughlin can sure as hell tackle better than Sinfield, who's one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen. He just jumps in the air and grabs collars.

Gleeson and Yeaman I'd go for, too. Gleeson had a bad tour but does have mad footwork when in the mood.

Briers and Pryce is my number one all time wishlist! But it'll never happen (unless Cullen is made coach).

Great bench, going Roby-then-Higham is the way forward, a real step up from Newton-then-Roby.

Deacon is useless with the ball though - he refuses to attack the line - and needs to forget all about rep football.

All in all a good squad, 17 and run on side.

HUDDERSFIELDUK

Juniors
innsaneink said:
I dunno a lot about the new blokes youve proposed, though some names are familiar like, Reardon, Aspinwall, Deacon and Sinfield....I agree totally with those you suggest are on the way out.

Long- Never again
Newton- Needs to look up the word 'creative'
Senior- Been waiting waiting waiting
Carney I'd possibly give another chance, Wellens Id give another shot unless someone definitely better is available

Shaun Briscoe has it all at fullback he is one of the best support players around and his alround game is solid.

The Original Eye said:
How about this 17 to face the Tri-Nations holders next year :

1. P Wellens
2. S Reardon
3. M Gleeson
4. K Yeaman
5. G Raynor
6. P Cooke
7. J Roby
8. S Fieldon
9. M Higham
10. J Graham
11. J Peacock
12. G Ellis
13. G Hock

14. L Briers
15. L Gilmour
16. A Morley
17. G Carvell

Roby imo would be a great scrum-half in the A Gregory mould. I'd like to see St Helens play him at 7 this year and move the quitter to 6. That pack could easily match the best Australia or N Zealand could produce.

I've had a re-think - Drop Wellens, solid player he is, and give Ben Cockayne of Hull KR the no.1 jersey. I really rate this kid.

Latest posts