What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new year, a new plan?

GreenGuy

So much is said about the Raiders game plan. When you think of Mathew Eliott, the two things that come to mind are his quick-wit, and the game plan he uses. (Bay 56 might beg to differ)

In the past two seasons, he has employed a defensive tactic, which has led to a downward spiral in our teams attack column.

The question i ask is what will next year's game plan invove? Will it be more attacking? In my opinion it will be vastly different due to so many changes to the squads faces. The big men in Davico and Wiki will no longer be there to look for when the chips are down, and we need a big hit or two to spark some confidence into the side.

With our 'major' signing being Jason Smith, and his apparent switch of positions to half-back, i suggest our plan will revolve largely around him.

I sure do hope our backline is given a lot more freedom, but for this to happen, much has to be done in the off-season by the coaching staff. Do we have the personnel for this?

Thoughts...

brenno

Juniors
losing davico, wiki will be a huge short term blow. I don't the think the Raiders will look to dominate in the fowards and play a simple game plan like the past 2 years (although they tried to modify it this season, it didnt work very well). Like or not, i believe next year is going to be more or less the same as this year. Although, i do believe some youngsters in the club will turn heads and the Raiders will surprise people with an improved defensive effort next year. Defense and losing close games are what really cost the raiders in 04. I expect Todd Carney to be a rookie of the year candidate (that is if he's still considered a rookie after playing 2/3 games off the bench in 1st grade) next season.

brenno

Juniors
Timbo said:
I'm scared that Elliot will view Thommo as the next best front rower, not Mick.

if weyman is fit he will start. Elliott has faith in the kid. It didn't take him long to get back to 1st grade this year and make a big impression. He played him in the semi final last year, Elliott has shown that he has supreme confidence in horse.

GreenGuy

As much as i hate to say it, a lot depends on what is going through the coaches head at the moment, and i'm feeling as though i'm afraid to trust him with decisions like having Thommo ahead of Horse, and whether Carney will see much game time...

Brimmer

Juniors
Jason Smith will bring some spark back into the lineup. For us to be a force next year. Every aspect of our game has to improve.

I also believe that NO player should accept their position as a given. Elliot, I believe has to come up with some painful descisions that not every camp will like but they have to be made.

Sun-Tzu (I may have spelt it wrong), a great chinese tactician once wrote, "The best defence is offence". I believe we have to employ that kind of mentality.

Sure, defence is important but to win big games we can't rely on the opposition stuffing up. We have to make things happen. Our compressed defence really needs to go as we were exposed out wide all year.

Certain players with "reputations" must really put their reputations on the line next year. I also believe a degree of youth and enthusiasm will do us wonders.

Myself, I am resigned that next year is going to be a tough one but with all the bad press on Elliot, I truly believe that he may end up having the last laugh.

Major areas to improve:

* The Halves - We desperately need a successful half combination to be a force next year.

* Missed Tackles - We became the Canberra speedbumps by the end of the season.

* Intensity - Enthusiasm and Intensity for 80 MINUTES has to be employed.

* Aggression - Bring a bit of mongrel back into the squad!

* Expansion - A more expansive passing and kicking game has to be used to be a force in the comp.

* Fifth Tackle Options - Need I say more.... more kicking options!!! Options either side of the ruck.

* Harsher Critical Analysis - "We tried our best" doesn't cut it for me any more. You underperform, you lose your spot.

Most important of all....

* Belief! - In all interviews with players and the like, to me, IMO we are lacking the vital ingredient to be successful.

raiders_boy

Juniors
Brimmer said:
We have to make things happen. Our compressed defence really needs to go as we were exposed out wide all year.

* The Halves - We desperately need a successful half combination to be a force next year.

You bring up some great points, none better than these two.

Our defence out wide this season was terrible! Opposition teams could throw a long ball on the first or second tackle and we were caught out time and time again... I think our defence needs to improve greatly before we can be a force...

On the second point... If we can't do anything in the halves next year, we are gonna be in huge trouble. I am bitterly disappointed that we weren't able to get a big name signing for next year in the likes of Orford, or Gidley or anyone better than J. Smith.

We need a coach who sees these problems, and I don;t think Elliott will change our defensive style.

Kris_man

Bench
Predictions:
- Thompson will be selected above Weyman in the starting 13.
- We will play in a very similar style to this year (attacking play centred around metre gainage, therefore employing a lot of dummy half runs and one-out hitups, and relying on quick play the balls for success).

i love the quote from Sun-tzu, "the best defence is offence". It's so true, and the Panthers proved it last year, as the Raiders did in their glory days of the early 90s.

GreenGuy, unforunately i don't believe that we could be a successful attacking team, with plenty of "backline freedom", and you have to look no further than the backline itself for my reasons:
Schifcofske - loves getting in close around the ruck and creating things hinself. rarely gets into open space by getting outside his man etc (as Mullins used to do). he's just not that type of fullback.
Chalk - awesome at running onto inside balls up the middle, but an unknown quantity out wide and in open spaces. i don't think the expansive game would bring out the best in him. i'm sure he could handle it, but its not where his strength lies.
Mogg - i like to call him "Mogg the hog". wouldn't know a pass if it bit him on the arse. loves doing things himself.
Frawley - could and would excel given room to run, and given situations where he's one-on-one with his man.
Graham - needs to be given all the space we can give him. imo the best open-field runner in the comp, and could be another willie tonga, perhaps better.
N Smith - not an open field runner. simple as that.
Bulgarelli - way too slow to cause damage out wide.

so there we have 2 out of 7 guys who are absolute guns given space, and the rest very questionable.

Raider Azz

Bench
It's not all about speed kris. I do agree with you somewhat in calling Mogg a hog, but he has been our best centre all year. He is the master of luring the defender to create a space out wide, and his flick pass is absolutley brilliant. It is no coincidence that Smith, Graham and Chalk were all scoring tries a plenty with Mogg on their inside.

DJ Raida

Bench
Mogg knows when to pass, ive seen him set up plenty of tries, and his new flick pass will give the old gidley tahu a run ;-)

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
well our forward pack isnt gonna be anywhere near as good as it has been the last few seasons so i would love to see us use the ball more...i mean i understand that in order for our backs to play well our forward pack need to be getting over the advantage line and we could do that next year with our pack, except we cant be aiming to just have hit up after hit up.

GreenGuy

kris_man said:
Predictions:
Graham - needs to be given all the space we can give him. imo the best open-field runner in the comp, and could be another willie tonga, perhaps better.

Phil needs to be put in the centres. How good was he at the start of last year in attack when playing there? Remember that grubber and chase try he scored? Defensively he has some issues, but he can be put on the wing to defend. Let's see how he goes in premier league this week with the number 3 on his back. I predict at least two tries.

peter_raiders

Juniors
How can we put Phil in the centres but? We bought Frawley and told him he has a cente spot and we can't possibly move Mogg anywhere else with the form he was in

Kris_man

Bench
on mogg: i thing you guys are overrating mogg's flick pass - i have (and therefore i'm sure you guys must have also) seen him stuff up that pass heaps of times, or at least enough times for me to suggest that he's not an "expert" at it. and he still has too many "nothing games" for mine - he's either doing heaps or doing nothing, and i just can't see him delivering the goods on a long term basis. he's great for a team which bases their attack on dummy half runs and one-out hitups, as he loves his dummy half runs, but if i was the coach i would seriously consider playing him on the wing. after all, before he came to the Raiders he was a fullback.

peter_raiders said:
How can we put Phil in the centres but? We bought Frawley and told him he has a cente spot
i really think that this issue is irrelevant. did we specify exactly how many games we were going to give Frawley in the centres? did we tell him that no matter how poor his form is, he'll play in the centres? there has to be somewhere where the Raiders draw the line, and i would draw it here: Phil Graham is the no.1 choice for centre position, and Frawley, Mogg and Gafa can compete for the 2nd spot.

Kris_man

Bench
joel said:
kris_man... Are you a "glass-is-half-full" or a "glass-is-half-empty" kind of guy?
that depends on the situation. regarding phil graham? glass half-full. regarding mat elliott's team selections? glass half empty. but most people would, and do, see me as quite the negative person.