What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Pinch of Salt

Noise

Coach
Spoken like a man who has never played either. Inside centre and five eighth are almost identical, except that inside centre is harder because you have much less space. And you do kick less. It's actually rather easy to compare hooker and scrum half, halfback and flyhalf too. It's just that you dismiss it because it doesn't suit your argument.

Can you even name any Polynesian halfbacks? Absence does not equal inability. But I'll start you off with Stacey Jones.

Ah I played 5/8 in league. I did not play union.

Polynesian halves & 5/8s: Ben Roberts, Thomas Lueuluai, Jerome Ropati, Carlos Tuimavave (spelling?) All great halves noted for their good decision making

Noise

Coach
Maybe because, although the games are similar, they are just different enough to make the transition in crucial positions very difficult. And I don't recall a great many of their best coming over to league.

Exactly, you can't compare the two because of the differences in the 2 games

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe because, although the games are similar, they are just different enough to make the transition in crucial positions very difficult. And I don't recall a great many of their best coming over to league.

I think it's even simpler than that. Both games rely on playmakers. You don't just let the pivotal players walk out. Both codes work hard to keep these guys. Ailing Benji aside I can't think of a top RL half who's made the switch either (apart from superhero Brett Sheehan of course :sarcasm:...)

Without knowing what our cap was, I would be happy to not resign seffa ( saving guessing approx $350-450k over two years ), releasing allgood to another club for $75k ( guessing he is on $120-150k per year, saving approx $110k over two years, and alvaro can take his spot) . That frees up around $450-550k, then offer watmough $800-1000k for two years, that's assuming we gave $350-450k free in our cap over the next two years. But it's all a guess, as I know f**k all about our sides cap figures.

It's a guess for me, too. But I don't think we're just talking about getting him for the next two seasons. We're talking about the next three.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ah I played 5/8 in league. I did not play union.

Polynesian halves & 5/8s: Ben Roberts, Thomas Lueuluai, Jerome Ropati, Carlos Tuimavave (spelling?) All great halves noted for their good decision making

Chris Thorman, Brett Finch, Shane Muspratt, Scott Dureau, Josh McCrone....I can cherry pick poor players too, white guys must be shit halves! Ropati isn't even a half for crying out loud, he's a centre. Hell, even Ben Roberts had an outstanding season or two and has represented two nations.

Face it. The sample size may not be as big, but you're just not correct. And as RL gets a greater foothold in Polynesian nations, we'll see a greater number of Polynesian halves as they give Ru a miss and play league

Exactly, you can't compare the two because of the differences in the 2 games

I think you can. The games are a bit different, but the qualities required by the players in those positions are similar. And in Union the peppers seem to have proved that they can do it. The transition, between a game you have probably played your whole life, to a new game, is another story.

Chris Thorman, Brett Finch, Shane Muspratt, Scott Dureau, Josh McCrone....I can cherry pick poor players too, white guys must be shit halves! Ropati isn't even a half for crying out loud, he's a centre. Hell, even Ben Roberts had an outstanding season or two and has represented two nations.

Face it. The sample size may not be as big, but you're just not correct. And as RL gets a greater foothold in Polynesian nations, we'll see a greater number of Polynesian halves as they give Ru a miss and play league

Exactly. The numbers will even out.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I got a text last night "my place or yours"

I like things at my place, Im more comfortable, I know where everything is, don't have to worry about sleeping in a different bed if it gets to that at times, nor worry about using someone else's bathroom and toilet, plus saves transport fees. Something to be said about you own home (ground) :sarcasm:

Avenger

Immortal
I am talking a little out of school but at the beginning if the season I asked someone from the club how we would go and they said we have too much chocolate and not enough cream. True story.

Bazal

Post Whore
Shit thread derailed by bazal what a surprise

Man you've gotta get over this obsession. It's beginning to creep me out. I half expect to wake up late one night and see you standing at the foot of my bed soaked in chicken blood and wearing a pink neglige. Just....staring. Not cool.

I pegged you for an idiot, but not a racist...

strider

Post Whore
I'm fair dinkum strides. Direct quote.

i'm not makin fun of your post ... i believe it 100% .... and I do agree with the concept - at the risk of falling into the racist category, I believe very much that you need guys with "footy smarts" and good attitude in the key positions and spread across the field - and generally whiteys are more that way while the polys and indigenous boys are more athletes and power houses (which you need too)

I don't believe there are no islanders or aboriginals with such smarts ...... for example, I think Will Hopoate has a great footy brain - he mostly makes good decisions .... and we've probably had some whiteys who are as dumb as a post too

but mostly - i agree with too much chocolate and not enough cream

i also do like paprika

Latest posts