What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Question about player positions in the game

raidersfan

Juniors
Ok your gonna think I'm stupid :roll: but could someone tell me exactly what positions there are in a league team and what you do in those positions eg a forward, fullback, prop etc Also was does a utility player do? does it mean they can play any position?

Raider_69

Post Whore
raidersfan said:
Ok your gonna think I'm stupid :roll: but could someone tell me exactly what positions there are in a league team and what you do in those positions eg a forward, fullback, prop etc Also was does a utility player do? does it mean they can play any position?

i couldnt be bothered atm, but a classic utility is Jason Croker and Chris Flannary

they can play about 6 positions each.......

Jono Russell

Bench
Fullback
wing
center
center
wing
5/8
halfback
prop
hooker
prop
second row
second row
lock

i cant be bothers writing what each of them do just watch a game and figure it out.
i can make it simple for you fowards make holes and backs run through holes

raidersfan

Juniors
So the corresponding numbers match the position?

1.Fullback
2.wing
3.center
4.center
5.wing
6.5/8
7.halfback
8.prop
9.hooker
10.prop
11.second row
12.second row
13.lock

Jono Russell

Bench
raidersfan said:
So the corresponding numbers match the position?

1.Fullback
2.wing
3.center
4.center
5.wing
6.5/8
7.halfback
8.prop
9.hooker
10.prop
11.second row
12.second row
13.lock

that is correct

then you have interchange which is

Ultima

Juniors
1 - Fullback, Generally keeps behind the defencive line to catch anyone who breaks threw or kicks.
2 - Wing, Keeps on the edges of the field/team-line. Often falls back a bit with the fullback on late tackle counts to help collect kicks.
3 - Centre, Keeps in between the wing and forwards.
4 - Centre
5 - Wing
6 - 5/8, Is normally the person running threw holes and backing up the forwards if they get an offload away. Often is two passes away from the play the ball area. Helps direct attack along with the halfback.
7 - Halfback, Will often be first receiver from a play the ball. This player is responsible, along with the 5/8 in directing the attack and making the majority of kicks.
8 - Prop, Lots of defence and running forward.... I guess that is it for a position description... Obviously a lot of forwards do more but generically this is it.
9 - Hooker, Use to be very important in scrums where they would hook the ball back but that is impossible to do now. Hookers will be the man getting the ball first after a tackle (dummy-half) and normally runs it himself or passes to the halfback.
10 - Prop
11 - Second Row, Basically a prop but out a bit wider and often has better passing skills as they are needed to get the ball to the centres/wingers (sometimes)
12 - Second Row
13 - Lock, A ball playing forward. The lock is like a second rower or prop but with good ball handling skills and often directs attack himself.

There ya go... It's the best I could do at 1am...... Very general and doesn't really tell you much... Every player does something different so it often just means where they stand on the field... Also incase you didn't know;

Backs:

Fullback, Wingers, Centres, Halfback, 5/8.

Forwards:

Props, Second Rowers, Lock, Hooker (these are all the players in a scrum BTW).
Note - Second Row spots are often called "The back row", not to be confused with backs... It comes from the fact that they are the second or back "row" of a scrum (as the lock is behind them and you don't have a row of one).