What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for the photographers

cram

Bench
Hi there I know a few of the forum people are keen photographers, Roopy and I think Northey come to mind.

I am looking at buying a digital SLR the one I am keen on after many hours research is a Nikon this is the link to it

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4800.htm

So was wondering if you could give me a bit of a heads up on what you suggest as a good camera.

I know I may/will get some conflicting opionions but that always helps me make a decision.

Interestingly there are not many places any more where you can get good advise on cameras as the big retailers have driven the small operator out of business. I spoke to a guy today from JB Hi Fi and asked him a questiona about the camera I was looking at and he told me he had no idea.... go figure.... :crazy:

Serc

First Grade
Great camera if you want to get your first proper digital SLR - I'm a Canon man myself (own a 400D, the equivalent to the D40x) but that would be a top choice for a very nice price. Two solid lenses for another great price too, will cover virtually any zoom you would want for photography for a while at least!

Only thing I can think of is that the 400D has its own self cleaning sensor mechanism, I carry 2 lenses and changing them somewhat regularly will let dust bit by bit into the interior and hence the sensor. The Nikon doesn't have this so over time (a year or two) you will notice very small little splotches on your photos if you zoom right in on them.

You won't go wrong with the Nikon or Canon I can tell you that :D

northey

First Grade
yeah my first SLR (and i am talking film SLR) was a Nikon, it was awesome as long as you understood what you were doing with it.

for camera advice try going to somewhere like camera house or any small shops that only sell cameras

make sure you ask lots of questions, try the camera in the store, because it is quite easy to get a fantastic SLR and it doesn't feel right when you use it.

make sure you are getting the right camera for what you want to do, i know SRL cameras are fantastic and i love using them, but remember a good photo comes from practice and you can take an amazing photo with a standard digital camera. as long as you frame it using the thirds, eye line and looking room (these three are standard for all photography and film) it may be frustrating at first to line it all up but as you go it will become second nature.

Canon EOS 300X which has a 7-point auto focus, a good camera for beginners.
Canon EOS-1V very strong camera , light weight, 45-point auto focus. this camera is very professional.

have a look at http://www.nikon.com.au/products.php?categoryid=11 for some SLR Nikon cameras, but really it is better to go into the shops and have a look.

roopy

Referee
I've put more money into lenses rather than updating my camera.

The lens i use for football - a canon L series 100-400 image stabilised lens set me back 3.5k by itself - over twice the cost of the camera - but it has improved my work out of sight.

My theory is, the lens technology isn't really improving, so any lens i buy is good for 20 years, but cameras seem to be out of date before you learn how to use them.

Serc

First Grade
Geebus...you bought the 100-400L roops!!! You must be made of money!!! A mate of mine owns it and I made special note to hold onto the lens AND the body at the same time for fear of the lens ripping its thread by its sheer weight!

I thought my splurging on the Canon 24-105L (for ~$1100 after the $500 cashback) and the Tokina 12-24 ($700) was bad enough! As you can tell I do a lot of landscape (read: mostly weather) photography.

roopy

Referee
daveserc said:
Geebus...you bought the 100-400L roops!!! You must be made of money!!! A mate of mine owns it and I made special note to hold onto the lens AND the body at the same time for fear of the lens ripping its thread by its sheer weight!

I thought my splurging on the Canon 24-105L (for ~$1100 after the $500 cashback) and the Tokina 12-24 ($700) was bad enough! As you can tell I do a lot of landscape (read: mostly weather) photography.
it is a beautiful thing. worth every penny for football - i can get a good picture from anywhere on the field.
Also great for birds, which was my other interest - but i've gone off them a bit.

Serc

First Grade
Oh it sure is, I have seen lightning photos from my mates 100-400 that I would not dream of being able to take with my setup eg: crisp, detailed photos from 50km+ away that i couldn't manage if it was any further away than 20km.

Only time I'd be able to put my kit to use at the footy would be within 10 rows of the front at Suncorp - lol