What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Rugby League Proposal to Vince McMahon

gUt

Coach
It's an "X"-citing idea that would be "X"-tremely "X"-cellent. McMahon seems to love a gamble.

However, I doubt he'd want to do anything that's not 100% 'murican.

GongPanther

Referee
Last edited:

Zigwaa

Bench
Great idea, not sure if it has legs but I'd like to think so.

I think the major problem is that Rugby League makes the Quarterback position, which Americans as so enamored with, redundant. The QB role parallels their philosophy and politics of the most valuable player being the general in charge.

The sell is that Rugby League is similar to NFL but without a Quarterback, but I don't know if the US market would buy into that.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you could still sell the halfback as the quarterback. The modern game can still be played with one dominant half running everything and a ball runner at five eighth.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id love to see this!!!

RL is a great sport, id like to see what a genuine showman could do with the event. Of course, it wont happen. He'd sit down to one meeting with the RFL people and be like "nah, f*ck that"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Trick will be to get RL played in colleges. There is a massive amount of college athletes perfectly suited to playing league who will never ever make it at NFL or other sports pro level. Giving those kids a secondary shot at a professional sports career in RL could entice many of them to take up the game in college. At a prof level it is much much tougher market to break into as many have tried and failed. Even soccer with all its advantages still struggles at the prof level to compete with the big boys. A targeted school and college development pathway in say ten cities with Snr RL teams would be the way to go but whose got the money or ability in RL to do it?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
First change the name :joy::joy::joy:

Of course, DTP, branding and presentation is not at all important to sport...

That why no one has ever complained about jersey/logos being change, why no one has ever complained about a club being removed from First Grade and why no one has ever debated about studiums or suburban grounds being the better location for games.

Because presentation means absolutely nothing to RL fans. Its just SOOO unimportant....

applesauce

Bench
The Carolina Panthers are on the market after the end of this NFL season,and VM has been loosely linked to putting in a bid for them. He is from North Carolina,so that might weigh something in his favour as the next buyer must favour in keeping the Panthers in the Carolinas.

My concern is that he is only worth $1.5 billion. The Carolina Panthers are worth $2.5 billion.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/panther-tracks/article174004921.html

Only Richardson’s 52% is for sale so will not be $2B

Danish

Referee
Where would they get the players for such a league? American talent wouldn't be ready to play at any position but on the wing at a professional level for a solid 6-8 years. The base fundamentals of league like passing, kicking, and even tackling are mostly foreign to the yanks and would need to be taught from scratch.

I'd much rather they continue the push for a NY based rugby league franchise to enter the english comps like Toronto has done and build from there.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where would they get the players for such a league? American talent wouldn't be ready to play at any position but on the wing at a professional level for a solid 6-8 years. The base fundamentals of league like passing, kicking, and even tackling are mostly foreign to the yanks and would need to be taught from scratch.

I'd much rather they continue the push for a NY based rugby league franchise to enter the english comps like Toronto has done and build from there.
They already have a competition. Add some ex Superleague and NRL players to it to flesh it out. They have a dozen teams already and don't need anymore. Add some fringe NRL and Superleague players to it and the quality will lift pretty quickly.

Danish

Referee
They already have a competition. Add some ex Superleague and NRL players to it to flesh it out. They have a dozen teams already and don't need anymore. Add some fringe NRL and Superleague players to it and the quality will lift pretty quickly.

Have you watched any of it? The quality is below shitty park football levels in Oz. Not a slight on them - I mean shit the australian gridiron league must look plain embarrassing to americans.

getting 1-2 teams to turn full pro and play in England would be the better move. You could then stack those teams with expats from Oz and england in the short term to ensure they are competitive, and slowly trickle in some locally developed players over a number of seasons.

You could then use the current local comp as a feeder for these sides

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have you watched any of it? The quality is below shitty park football levels in Oz. Not a slight on them - I mean shit the australian gridiron league must look plain embarrassing to americans.

getting 1-2 teams to turn full pro and play in England would be the better move. You could then stack those teams with expats from Oz and england in the short term to ensure they are competitive, and slowly trickle in some locally developed players over a number of seasons.

You could then use the current local comp as a feeder for these sides

That is the plan, Toronto and NY look like they may well be in SL within a few years. Toronto is a team of English and Australian players based in Toronto.

Of course, DTP, branding and presentation is not at all important to sport...

That why no one has ever complained about jersey/logos being change, why no one has ever complained about a club being removed from First Grade and why no one has ever debated about studiums or suburban grounds being the better location for games.

Because presentation means absolutely nothing to RL fans. Its just SOOO unimportant....
You are so dim you would struggle to light up a phone box.

Latest posts