What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

Tommy Smith

Referee
Can someone explain to me why this bloke is a walk up start for the Blues and Kangaroos?

Serious question.

He's not aggressive.
Doesn't bend the line or break tackles.
He doesn't hit hard in defence.
I don't see any good footwork before the line.
And certainly no good second phase play.

Personally I believe it's the hair. No joke. Dane Laurie's hair had enough people convinced he was more than a park footy player for 2-3 years.

Of course Laurie Daley, Mal Meninga and the selectors know a lot more about footy than me; so can another keen eye inform me of exactly what he does that makes him a walk up start for rep sides and - the horror, the horrorrrr - a Blues captaincy candidate?

God-King Dean

Immortal
I have no doubt in my mind he is under miming Taylor.

He can be a very good prop, making great metres. But he's playing like a complete pussy, who'd rather pass it than try to bend the line.

Yeah I don't get it either. He somehow racks up pretty good stats though, but I'm sure they're inflated by drop-out returns.

Caped Crusader

Juniors

He can be a very good prop, making great metres. But he's playing like a complete pussy, who'd rather pass it than try to bend the line.
8f9b1dcaae07083834c63b9d56ba8813.jpg

Clifferd

Coach
He's good when his teams going well

When the going gets tough he's an absolute powder puff girl

Diesel

Referee
Anyone who saw his relaxed don't give a f**k attitude at the coin toss yesterday would've seen there is some underlying issues there. Seeing a 6-46 score line less than two hours later came as no surprise

Hutty1986

Immortal
Have no idea how this bloke consistently makes rep teams-he's in the james tamou/josh jackson mould. He's a solid first grader but that's about it. Then again, it hasn't taken a whole lot to make the Blues side over the past decade of shit.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I've always said that Woods is over rated. He is a good first grade prop but shouldn't be an automatic selection for rep teams like he is. I think this thread is a bit harsh in parts as to me he does have good footwork at the line and an offload. He rarely gets pushed back or rolled on his back.

His defence is poor and he is the least intimidating prop in the game. Certainly not a bad player but not one of the best either.

natheel

Coach
I've always said that Woods is over rated. He is a good first grade prop but shouldn't be an automatic selection for rep teams like he is. I think this thread is a bit harsh in parts as to me he does have good footwork at the line and an offload. He rarely gets pushed back or rolled on his back.

His defence is poor and he is the least intimidating prop in the game. Certainly not a bad player but not one of the best either.

You could say that last part about not getting rolled and pushed back about Mannah too. Like woods Mannah is a good club prop. Bleeds for his club etc but not up to rep standard imo.

And before you jump on me saying Woods shits on Mannah. Not saying he doesn't just saying there are similarities between the 2

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Can someone explain to me why this bloke is a walk up start for the Blues and Kangaroos?

Serious question.

He's not aggressive.
Doesn't bend the line or break tackles.
He doesn't hit hard in defence.
I don't see any good footwork before the line.
And certainly no good second phase play.

Personally I believe it's the hair. No joke. Dane Laurie's hair had enough people convinced he was more than a park footy player for 2-3 years.

Of course Laurie Daley, Mal Meninga and the selectors know a lot more about footy than me; so can another keen eye inform me of exactly what he does that makes him a walk up start for rep sides and - the horror, the horrorrrr - a Blues captaincy candidate?
Agree totally and im a Tigers supporter.
Nothing special at all.
I think hes in the pet category with big nose Daley
maybe because hes a "clown" hes good to have around.
They like his "big motor" apparently as well

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Maybe its a tactic between Woods,Moses and Brookes to get rid of Taylor by playing crap.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
And I agree with this.

There's been so many players who have become overrated just based on hair, or an unusual name. Jamal Idris being the patron saint of this.

Jamal who?
Gee he talked himself up before the season started didnt he..
Could be our worst buy ever.
Shows zero impact.

davi

Juniors
I agree shouldn't be an instant call up, but he was their best forward in the state of origin in game 2 2015. So he shouldn't be a complete write off either, but he can't live off past glorys to be called back in the team.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
You could say that last part about not getting rolled and pushed back about Mannah too. Like woods Mannah is a good club prop. Bleeds for his club etc but not up to rep standard imo.

And before you jump on me saying Woods shits on Mannah. Not saying he doesn't just saying there are similarities between the 2

Very similar mate
Rate them on par as good,but not great
Both dont put fear into opposition teams.
Woods is a bit of a joke and joker.

Front-Rower

First Grade
It's the Holden Cup effect. In the 20's it used to take 4-5 blokes to tackle him every time he took the ball up. In today's game that means instant superstar.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I wouldn't say woods is not upto rep standard, some of his games at origin level have been really good. There's no way he should be inked in as starting 10 before the series begins like he always is though.

The mannah comparison is fair enough, put it this way if a player swap between woods and mannah eventuated I think we'd be a bit worse off but I wouldn't be devastated either.

Latest posts