What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AB Medal

Doctor

Bench
Are we all agreed that Ricky Ponting is the shoe-in?
His performances in both forms of the game deserve the medal on their own - combine them and he is a shoe-in.

His problem may be that his double centuries will only attract three points each - his calender year is irrelevant in the face of being marked for individual matches.

But nevertheless I think he has the award - I actually think he may become the first player to win both the One Day and Test awards in the same year.

The highest run-scorer in Test cricket, and the second highest ODI scorer for 2003 - I don't think anyone else competes.

Gilchrist, Symonds, Lee and perhaps Hayden might be the only serious contenders.

The awards:

A.B Medal: Ponting
Test Player: Ponting
ODI Player: Ponting (perhaps Lee, Symonds or Gilchrist)
State Cricketer: Kasprowicz, Tait & Katich - my tip: Katich

Bradman Young Cricketer: This award is tough because according to the pre-requisites of eligability, the awardee can't have played more than 10 first class matches - this rules out Shaun Tait, Andrew McDonald, and Allan Wise - there are no outstanding batsmen in contention so your guess is as good as mine.
If they abide by their own conditions, we may end up with a no-name player or else a player who hasn't performed exceptionally well at all.

Based on eligability, my tip: John Taylor from W.A - he's the only one with less than 10 matches who has remotely decent figures.
Women's International Cricketer: Belinda Clark - shoe in.

PB

Bench
Elliott would have to be a chance for the state cricketer award.

Also Andy Symonds will be up their for the one day award.
Michael Clarke will score well to, but as he wasnt involved in the World Cup so he won't quite tally enough.

But yes, easy money would be on Punter to collect both awards.

Doctor

Bench
Hussey has more than 10 - you have to have played less than 10 matches and be under the age of 24 to qualify for the Young Cricketer Award.

There are some really good finds who look like missing out because they have played too many matches.

Anonymous

Juniors
Yes indeed Oswin. Unless they break the rules this year, I think there is going to be a winner who hasn't really done much to deserve it. (Compared to those ineligable i mean)

Anonymous

Juniors
One Day Player - Adam Gilchrist
Bradmen Young Player - Shaun Tait
State Player - Simon Katich
Test Player - Ricky Ponting?

Allan Border Medalist - Ricky Ponting

Doctor

Bench
Earl said:
One Day Player - Adam Gilchrist
Bradmen Young Player - Shaun Tait
State Player - Simon Katich
Test Player - Ricky Ponting?

Allan Border Medalist - Ricky Ponting

Well well well - no surprises with Gilchrist pipping Ponting by a couple of votes - Katich was always frontrunner for the state award (although four batsmen nominated with no bowlers), and Ponting had the AB Medal from the outset.

But Shaun Tait - if I knew he was eligible, he would have been my first and only pick.
Oswin said:
according to the pre-requisites of eligability, the awardee can't have played more than 10 first class matches - this rules out Shaun Tait, Andrew McDonald, and Allan Wise

Clearly Tait still qualifies - an outstanding start to his career, there is no denying that. He was the frontrunner based on age, but surely his 15-16 matches renders him ineligible under C.A's own criteria?

I can only suggest that perhaps within the voting period he had less than 10 matches - perhaps they base it on how many matches you've played at the start of the voting period (he would have certainly played less than 10 at the start of 2003).

Besides that, all the awardees were straight-forward - the interviews were far too short to the point of rudeness, and the performance by that old fellow singing was hopeless - it was painfully hopeless. Where did that man come from? The local RSL club? :lol:

Hoggy

Bench
I was going to make a post about Hodge being screwed again but then I actually saw Katich's NSW form of averaging almost 100 in 6 matches. :oops:

ozbash

Referee
i dont think ponting deserved it,, very mediocre summer.

i think gilchrist should have got it.

as long as that mealy mouthed prick bwetty lee didnt get anything :roll:

or that tubby bloody drug taker :?

S2H

Juniors
ozbash said:

i think gilchrist should have got it.

as long as that mealy mouthed prick bwetty lee didnt get anything :roll:

or that tubby bloody drug taker :?

Is this a joke? Whats Mediocre about hitting 3 double hundreds in a year and scoring more runs than anyone in the world?

He didn't take a wicket though :lol:

aqua_duck

Coach
ozbash said:
Are you being sarcastic? Mediocre summer? He scored back to back double centuries against India, averaged over 100 in tests for 2003 and was the leading run scorer in tests, add to that he finished the year number on Price Waterhouse cooper's rankings for batsman, scored 140* in a WC final, was Australia's leading run scorer in both the West Indies and India series and captained Australia to WC, TVS cup, and VB series victories, if thats mediocre then what do you deem as acceptable?

Macca

Coach
You are kidding. You continue to make me laugh. Ponting deserved it. No doubt. I reckon he'll go close to doing it back to back too.

Matt23

Staff member
Ponting deserved to win the medal...Elliott will never play test cricket again, cant say i was ever a fan, considering Slater as one of my favorite players was harshly dropped to make way for him.