What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABC Interest in PL

I think the Henson Park fan base is pretty strong. I think that weather would keep more fans away than TV coverage. People like the match day experience at Henson Park.

Absolutely. Watching a game the 'way it once was' seems to be becoming a successful supporting niche for the Newtown club to occupy. Alongside the 'retro' merchandise, Newtown Jets have developed a really recognisable 'brand' with a great 'product' (sorry for the Super League terminology!). For all fans of clubs who have PL teams, watching them take on the Jets at Henson is a must; a 'rite of passage' for all serious League fans. You can't replicate the atmosphere by watching it on Television - you have to be there for the experience. So crowds would most likely rise due to the extra attention on the club and the advertisement it provides for the experience of being there.

Rejection after rejection that I encounter when putting the feelers out for the Jets tells me that companies would be more willing to come on board if we were broadcast to 250,000 viewers and 800 spectators, than 1000 spectators and no viewers.

It may seem obvious but... Why do companies sponsor sporting teams? Exposure. What gets the most exposure? Television.

Sports sponsorships are almost entirely about getting your brand noticed by the audience who are watching any given sport or team. The wider the audience, the more likely you're going to pay to sponsor a team. With the advent of television coverage the audience for the Jets and the other PL teams would grow by around 100x (possibly more), making the pool of potential sponsors (and the amount they would be willing to pay for sponsorship), much larger.

The Queensland Cup is a good example of TV coverage making the difference. For a start there is Wizard Home Loans who get pretty good value out of the sponsorship dollar of the entire competition. Also, sponsors of all the individual Clubs get their chance to have their logo on television several times a year; this not only helps sell jersey sponsorships but also hoarding advertising at the club's ground.

Simply put, television coverage would be the best thing to happen to the Premier League and the Jets. For anyone who wants to see the stand-alone PL clubs, and the competition as a whole, grow then television coverage is a number 1 priority.

2 True Blues

Coach
I have a question ??? If the same person logs onto a particular thread does it clock up and as such add towards the people viewing a particular thread in the right hand column. As I have noticed that 320 views are present on this thread thus far as I post this.

Meaning to me there is obviously a lot of INTEREST on this topic without comment when the subject heading is totally clear, ( thus one of the highest viewed posts on this forum ). Or is it viewed with that sort of intensity by those that wish it to fail. Whether for cash or alterior motives/reasons. As they intensionally desire to give a false indication of lack of support when it truly exists, and thus failure ????? ( Or are the ABC checking out the responses which if what i am thinking may be giving a false and incorrect indication of how popular this concept would truly be ) ?????

If so the Jets forum should be checked out as about 1 in 1000 actual viewers actually post replies to threads, yet they watch a lot of games and are constantly checking out results without posting. A reply is not a true indication of support in this area ABC, that's all i want to say !!!!!

And more importantly, MOST premier league supporters don't have computer access as the NRL has the majority of youth support, though the support would be overwhelming for premier league on the ABC and much huger than the Rugby Union following by the thousands.........( Especially given that a huge majority of supporters live interstate ).

Bluebag

Juniors
It wont matter please go to the NRL thread under TV Coverage and vot the more I get the better it is for my [roposal

2 True Blues

Coach
NRL is poison to my my mouth and mind even as I type the words . Give me the thread carriage and I will go there though...Where the f**k is it ???????

I was the first to tackle Ian Knight on this (from about 1998 and again every year thereafter - back then it was to get Metro on TV) and I applaud Bluebag for keeping up the fight.

It's worth noting that Ch 9 waived the "NRL players not to appear in any other televised comp" clause in their contract some three years ago. I pointed this out to Ian and several of the "characters" at the NSWRL at the time.

If they're still trotting out this issue as a stopper now, it's pretty reprehensible because they KNOW it's not the case.

Regards,
TDT-1