What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About Time

Earl

Coach
He has never played for Australia and is rarely mentioned around the selection table, but a 27-year-old from Tasmania has given himself every opportunity to change all that after an impressive start to the Sheffield Shield season.
Luke Butterworth picked up the wickets of Western Australia's top four batsmen on Tuesday, including Marcus North and Adam Voges, on his way to 4-34 in the season opener at the WACA Ground.

While Copeland has deservedly gone on to higher honours, Butterworth is yet to be tested at international level and has had to be content with Australia A selection.

His flying start to the season could not have been timed any better, with Australia's Test squad for the tour of South Africa expected to be announced next week.

But Butterworth is refusing to get ahead of himself.
"Not at all," Butterworth said on Tuesday when asked if national team selection was on his mind.
"It's always good getting picked for Australia A and that was a great experience.

"But at the moment I'm just concentrating on playing for Tassie and doing well for them.

"It's always good to back up a good season. In your first game there's a bit of pressure on you to repeat the performance so getting a few wickets in the first game was a bit of a relief."

Standing in Butterworth's way is the abundance of fast-bowling candidates who will come into consideration for the two Tests against the Proteas.
Ryan Harris appears to be the only paceman assured of selection with Copeland, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger and youngsters James Pattinson and Patrick Cummins sure to be considered.

But Butterworth's ability with the bat - he has two first-class hundreds and
an average of 28.01 - could give him the advantage he needs.

Fox Sports commentator Damien Fleming, who worked with Butterworth in his former role as head coach of the Australian Cricket Academy, rates the Tasmanian highly.

But the 20-Test veteran says Butterworth may have left his run too late to secure a spot in the squad to face the Proteas.
"He might be an outsider ... but he might just miss out on South Africa," Fleming told foxsports.com.au.
"I would think he's right up there. He's got a classic late outswinger, he's nice and tall and even though he's not the quickest bowler going around, he's accurate.
"And he's got a fair bit of class with the bat. I rate him a better batsman than Mitchell Johnson and obviously a different type of bowler. I rate him a genuine all-rounder and definitely an option as a bowling all-rounder who bats at No.7 or No.8."

While the ODI squad for the South Africa tour has already been announced, Fleming says Butterworth has the ability to play for Australia in all forms of the game.

"He might have been a chance when John Hastings got injured because he's an all-rounder.

"I think he can play all forms because I think he can adjust his game. In one day cricket he uses his bounce and bowls a lot of off-cutters and then in four-day cricket he dominated last year and he dominates generally with his out-swinger.

"I think he's become a lot more flexible as a player. I think his body is a lot better ... that was a bit of a problem.

"I think he believes he's good enough now particularly with the way he played last year. I think sometimes that's the biggest thing for a lot of these cricketers ... the one who actually believes in himself the most (will be successful).

"There's no doubt Buttsy should believe in himself after the way he produced in the last 18 months."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...ield-shield-form/story-fn2mcu3x-1226164752731

Its about time players like this guy started getting recognised. What I don't get though is why we had to pay some guy thousands of dollars to do a 12 month report to come up with the same result most fans already knew.

'Oh look that guys has taken 50 odd Sheffeild Sheild wickets in the last few seasons, better pick him for a few T20 Internationals'. Its horseshit.

Would be a perfect selection for the TEST tour of Sth Africa.

Butterworth has put in big performance in big mathces in Sheild games over the last 2 years and never gets a mention, yet blokes like Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood all have 'potential' and get thrown Aussie shirts.

I had 'potential' once too. Scoring runs and taking wickets at Sheild level these days has no power what so ever in being selected for Australia.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you might find things abit different with new selectors Earl, but he needs to do it for more than one SS game

Needs at least half a decent season injury free.

If you want him to go to RSA, who would you drop ?

Earl

Coach
What I meant was if he does get a chance for Australia it should be with the test side.

The article suggests with John Hastings out for the summer, Butterworth may get a chance.

John Hastings was a ODI/T20 player.

Shits me how players with decent first class records get 'blooded' through ODI cricket.

Timbo

Staff member
you might find things abit different with new selectors Earl, but he needs to do it for more than one SS game

Needs at least half a decent season injury free.

If you want him to go to RSA, who would you drop ?

His impressive start to this season is off the back of 45 wickets at 17.5 last season from 10 games.

I think he has done enough personally.

What I meant was if he does get a chance for Australia it should be with the test side.

The article suggests with John Hastings out for the summer, Butterworth may get a chance.

John Hastings was a ODI/T20 player.

Shits me how players with decent first class records get 'blooded' through ODI cricket.

I agree.

The other thing we need to get rid of is the 12,000 runs and older than 31 requirement some batsman have to meet to get a look in

aussies1st

Staff member
If he can get his batting up he would be handy at 7, the bowling spot he is after is taken by Copeland.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He's a handy player but is he quick enough to worry International batsman?? With Watson in the team someone like Butterworth isn't really needed. Not knocking the guy he's been a good player for a while but i don't see him being good enough at that next level.

Timbo

Staff member
This obsession with pace is creeping back in here.

Who gives a shit how fast he bowls? If he lands every ball on the spot and gets his swing going properly does it matter?

Even if Copeland and Butterworth were in the side, we'd still have Harris and Watson breaking 140kph on a regular basis.

Pace does not matter. Johnson and Tait prove that.

Bazal

Post Whore
I rate Butterworth, but I'm not sure there's a spot for him. I think pace does matter to an extent...in the balance of the side anyway. An attack with Butterworth and Copeland certainly lacks intimidation. I think that if we are to persist with Copeland (and we should, IMO), Butterworth's ship has sailed. I think there are better all rounders, especially with the bat. Like I said, I rate him as a player, but I just can't find a spot for him in the side at the moment.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Who gives a shit how fast he bowls? If he lands every ball on the spot and gets his swing going properly does it matter?

Even if Copeland and Butterworth were in the side, we'd still have Harris and Watson breaking 140kph on a regular basis.

i just don't think he is a good enough bowler at the highest level, why do we need another all Rounder when we have Watson???? He's a better player than Ronnie Mac but with Watson around neither are needed.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I rate Butterworth, but I'm not sure there's a spot for him. I think pace does matter to an extent...in the balance of the side anyway. An attack with Butterworth and Copeland certainly lacks intimidation. I think that if we are to persist with Copeland (and we should, IMO), Butterworth's ship has sailed. I think there are better all rounders, especially with the bat. Like I said, I rate him as a player, but I just can't find a spot for him in the side at the moment.
x2, good player but not sure what he can add to a side that already has Watson.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We have sunshine to bowl 15-20 quality overs. What we need to do is get our best and inform bowling mix right on the paddock. Not sure if Butterworth can be part of that, unless a couple of injuries occur

D

Deleted member 10972

There are some decent genuine allrounders available.

Hopes (QLD) and Christian (SA) are known strikers of the ball, but their skiddy medium pace is more suited to the limited overs arena (although at domestic level, they have still gotten wickets in First Class matches).

Henriques (NSW) and Marsh (WA) are both very talented, but are yet to show consistency at domestic level. They each have impressive shots, but have little to show for composure, and their bowling while technically sound can be somewhat one-dimensional and hence easy to smack around.

McDonald (VIC) and Butterworth (TAS) are both handy. McDonald probably has the edge in terms of batting, and Butterworth in terms of bowling, but both are neither good enough to be one of the four front-line bowlers, or good enough to be anything more than a number 7 in the batting line-up.

Watson is the best seam-bowling allrounder at the moment easily, and I would probably be looking towards Mitchell Marsh as having the most potential to be next in line, at least for Tests.

Tom Shines

First Grade
I'm a fan of his, and have been for a while. I think I first drafted him in to my test team on the old Cricket 2005 on PS2.

But for mine, he's a bit like Tom Moody was. Decent enough with bat and ball, but not really threatening enough with either to justify selection in the longer form of the game. Especially with Watson in there.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

on the contrary

can you imagine if these two bowled at Copeland's pace ?

its their pace that got them where they are imo

Earl

Coach
Butterworth has what none of these other guys with 'pace and talent' have and thats consitent wickets at Domestic Level despite his lack of pace.

Sadly, these day results get you no where.

Gone are the days where you had to take 40 to 50 odd wickets in Sheild Cricket, including 4 or 5 good 5+ wicket hauls.

If you bowl quick somehow 2/80 of 15 overs and you've got potential.

yappy

Bench

Same, but I'd have him around in case Copes doesn't work or gets injured.

Faulkner though is probably the guy longer term.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not for me, it is either him or Copeland, not both, and Copeland has more runs on the board so to speak