What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Gilchrist is boring

The Colonel

Immortal
Craig said:
I dont have anything wrong with fast scoring, but you can score quick without hitting boundaries.

Yes you can however will this put bums on seats? You'll be there but how many others will be? The paying public wants to see bowling smashed to all sides of the park and the ACB and the cricket boards around the world want to see exciting cricket because it gets bums on seats. I love watching Bevan play however at times 30 off 20 in singles and twos can be rather boring.

The Colonel

Immortal
Craig said:
If people get bored, then I question people's attention spans.

The average attention span of a human being is around about 45 minutes. As I assume your not average Craig your attention span is?

Craig

Juniors
Well if you get bored without seeing a plathera of sixes and fours, there is something wrong IMO.

As I saw I prefer elegence then bash bash bash.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well cricket is never boring to me. Fast, slow, ugly, elegant it's all good.

You want to talk boring lets talk about Rugby Union, can put me in a comma after five minutes with 22 kicks.

Craig

Juniors
Matt23 said:
I take it you hated the Australian innings, then? :roll:

I dont see anything wrong in batsmen being kept quite by tight accurate bowling.

I mean it was so umcompetitive it isnt funny.

salivor

First Grade
I agree with craig here in a sense. I'd never call Gilchrist boring as when he's in the middle with bat or gloves, things are happening but as far as his style of batting, from a cricketing purists view, he's a bit of a slogger.

Give me a Laxman or from an NZ perspective, a Fleming any day. I've enjoyed many a great innings from Cairns and Astle over the years as an NZ cricket fan but most of my greatest memories come from watching Fleming when he's in touch, standing tall and playing through the onside and more recently Laxman with that elegant flick of the wrists.

I think what style of batting you prefer also comes down a lot to which version of the game you prefer, One dayers which caters more to the hard hitter who is more concerned with his strike rate than his average or tests where more technically sound and well rounded players prosper.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
There is a difference in saying I prefer to watch an elegant batsmen and saying Gilchrist is boring. Gilchrist is far from boring, it is rarely boring to see boundaries going all over the place.
I too love to watch a classical cover drive from an elegant player such as Laxman or M Waugh, but that does not make sloggers boring. Boring is Geoff Boycott. Boring is 20 madien overs in a row because the batsman is crap. Boring is watching openers in a ODI not willing to use the field restriction to their advantage.

Craig it is hardly Australia's fault that India cannot match it with us.
Yes it was uncompetitve but that shows one team is clearly superior to the other.
Zimbabwe were flogged by us and India because they were not good enough. India were soundly beaten by Australia because they were not good enough.
We cannot salary cap them or anything like that.
I remember being soundly beaten by the Windies for years and years, yet I still watched.

ozbash

Referee
one of the best innings i have ever seen is nathan astles record .
lance and chris cairns's sixes sent shivers down my spine.

gilchrist consistently does all the things i enjoy in a game of cricket..

he is my 2nd fav all time all rounder behind the magnificent MARK GREATBATCH !

aqua_duck

Coach
Looking at his record in both tests and one dayers, one would say Gilchrist's style is effective in both forms of the game, I mean how many other batsman have a strike rate of 83 in tests?

Anonymous

Juniors
The problem is the pitches. You shouldn't be able to get runs by slogging but these days it's a piece of piss.

Anonymous

Juniors
Yes you can however will this put bums on seats? You'll be there but how many others will be? The paying public wants to see bowling smashed to all sides of the park and the ACB and the cricket boards around the world want to see exciting cricket because it gets bums on seats. I love watching Bevan play however at times 30 off 20 in singles and twos can be rather boring.

See this is the problem.

a) I know it's no-ones fault in particular, but it's all "bums on seats", and because of this we have to pander to non-cricket fans and people with short attention spans.

b) Why does exciting cricket=exciting batting?? There's a lopsided view here. If a batsman scores slowly isn't it more than likely due to good bowling? Is good bowling not exciting?

PB

Bench
I seriously thought the title to this thread was a sarcastic one.

ok, having read, most of this thread, I would like to drop a few names of cricketers over the years, who haven't always been "technically correct" in all aspects of their batting technique, but still prooved to be brilliant, and entertaining (being the opposite of boring for this arguement)

S. Waugh......D.Walters....C.Lloyd.....G.Sobers.....D.G Bradman.....

Not Saying Gilly is necessairly as good as any of the above, but the arguement was about what made them boring to watch.

And in terms of ability. Hold the bat with a split grip likes Gilly's and see how you fare.....

Azkatro

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
I have to ask how do you finesse a six? ;-)

I've got an old cricket coaching vid which has footage of Viv Richards hitting a six over long on from the bowling of Geoff Lawson. Now we might have all watched in awe Andy Symonds' massive sixes in recent matches but this shot from Viv could have been described as finesse in comparison. Barely any backlift, effortless timing. His bat must have been a 100kg hunk of wood, I swear.

Not to say that Dravid can do that as such, but I will say that the Master Blaster came as close as anyone to being able to "finesse" a six :D