What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Reynolds: By The Stats

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
With everything that's going on i thought I would do a little comparison of Adam Reynolds to some of the other dominant halves in the competition which is purely statistics based. The following halves are dominant half-backs in their team and i think probably the best in their respective positions. These half-backs are DCE, Nathan Cleary, Jahrome Hughes, Mitchell Moses. Im not including 5/8ths as I want the competition to be based around dominant half-backs.

These are all averages per game in 2020.

TryAssists--
Adam Reynolds: 0.3
DCE: 0.9
Nathan Cleary: 0.8
Jahrome Hughes: 0.8
Mitchell Moses: 0.4

Tries-
DCE: 0.3
Nathan Cleary: 0.3
Jahrome Hughes: 0.4
Mitchell Moses: 0.2

Line Breaks-
Adam Reynolds: 0.2
Nathan Cleary: 0.4

Line Break Assists-
Adam Reynolds: 0.4
DCE: 0.8
Nathan Cleary: 0.5
Jahrome Hughes: 0.5
Mitchell Moses: 0.3

Run metres-
Adam Reynolds: 56.6
DCE: 79.6
Nathan Cleary: 87.4
Jahrome Hughes: 75.3
Mitchell Moses: 63.9

Kick metres-
Adam Reynolds: 383
DCE: 390.3
Nathan Cleary: 502.4
Jahrome Hughes: 176.2
Mitchell Moses: 446.4

Force Drop Outs-
Adam Reynolds: 0.9
DCE: 0.5
Nathan Cleary: 1.3
Mitchell Moses: 1.1

I actually learned a fair bit researching this.

Maybe Adam's kicking game is not the 'best in the competition' like everybody claims.

Mr Spock!

Referee
With everything that's going on i thought I would do a little comparison of Adam Reynolds to some of the other dominant halves in the competition which is purely statistics based. The following halves are dominant half-backs in their team and i think probably the best in their respective positions. These half-backs are DCE, Nathan Cleary, Jahrome Hughes, Mitchell Moses. Im not including 5/8ths as I want the competition to be based around dominant half-backs.

These are all averages per game in 2020.

TryAssists--
DCE: 0.9
Nathan Cleary: 0.8
Jahrome Hughes: 0.8
Mitchell Moses: 0.4

Tries-
Nathan Cleary: 0.3

Line Breaks-
Adam Reynolds: 0.2
Nathan Cleary: 0.4

Line Break Assists-
Adam Reynolds: 0.4
DCE: 0.8
Nathan Cleary: 0.5
Jahrome Hughes: 0.5
Mitchell Moses: 0.3

Run metres-
Adam Reynolds: 56.6
DCE: 79.6
Nathan Cleary: 87.4
Jahrome Hughes: 75.3
Mitchell Moses: 63.9

Kick metres-
Adam Reynolds: 383
DCE: 390.3
Nathan Cleary: 502.4
Jahrome Hughes: 176.2
Mitchell Moses: 446.4

Force Drop Outs-
Adam Reynolds: 0.9
DCE: 0.5
Nathan Cleary: 1.3
Mitchell Moses: 1.1

I actually learned a fair bit researching this.

Maybe Adam's kicking game is not the 'best in the competition' like everybody claims.
Stats don't tell the whole story eg DCE, Cleary and Moses are the only kickers in their team.

Souths have Walker, Cook, Mitchell....

How do they work out the forced drop outs?

Is that 0.9 dropouts per game over 4 rounds?

Mr Spock!

Referee
It would be better to look at last season than 4 games this year....

Edit: Just reread your post. It was over the 2020 season....

30718252.jpg

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Stats don't tell the whole story eg DCE, Cleary and Moses are the only kickers in their team.

Souths have Walker, Cook, Mitchell....

How do they work out the forced drop outs?

Is that 0.9 dropouts per game over 4 rounds?

Yeah thats over the whole 2020 season. Its all of their averages.

I agree with you that statistics don't tell the whole story im just a statistics nerd and I think these statistics are the most important ones for a halfback.

One thing is certain, he has the highest goal-kicking percentage of any kicker ever who's kicked over 500 goals.

I think goal kicking is less important because most half-backs these days have good goal kicking percentages. Besides what's the point of being a good goal kicker if you can't direct your team to scoring tries?

Not saying this is Adam Reynolds but I'd say goal kicking is less important.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Yeah thats over the whole 2020 season. Its all of their averages.

I agree with you that statistics don't tell the whole story im just a statistics nerd and I think these statistics are the most important ones for a halfback.

I think goal kicking is less important because most half-backs these days have good goal kicking percentages. Besides what's the point of being a good goal kicker if you can't direct your team to scoring tries?

Not saying this is Adam Reynolds but I'd say goal kicking is less important.
Couldn't disagree more. Goal-kicking is vital. Many,many games are decided by which team converted more of their tries than their opponent. One missed conversion can lead to a loss. As for not being able to direct the team to scoring tries, I must have been watching a different Adam Reynolds these past years. Adams kicking routinely puts us in a position where we can score. the stats only show kicks that directly lead to a try, but kicking for field position which results in tries are not shown. Stats are a useful tool but are not the be all and end all for assessing player performance. You need to look at the whole picture to truly appreciate a players performance.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Couldn't disagree more. Goal-kicking is vital. Many,many games are decided by which team converted more of their tries than their opponent. One missed conversion can lead to a loss. As for not being able to direct the team to scoring tries, I must have been watching a different Adam Reynolds these past years. Adams kicking routinely puts us in a position where we can score. the stats only show kicks that directly lead to a try, but kicking for field position which results in tries are not shown. Stats are a useful tool but are not the be all and end all for assessing player performance. You need to look at the whole picture to truly appreciate a players performance.

My point was more that a team won't be kicking goals if they're not scoring tries in the first place.

Im glad that you're thinking about more than stats because i completely agree. I think Reynolds is a great influence around the field because of his banter and his ability to make other players laugh. He definitely lifts the morale of the team.

I would counter argue your point with the fact that Adam only kicks well when our forwards are on a roll. If we're behind then he goes missing and puts up his routine bomb. I actually think DCE is a game changer when it comes to his kicking game. He's kicked the most 40/20's in the comp since 2011. I can count on one hand the amount of times Adam has done this.

I actually think if Cooper Cronk came to souths we would've won a premiership by now.

Jim Rockford

Bench
When it comes to 40/20s it's important to remember that they are an effective tool for teams who struggle to get out of their own half. We have had a strong forward pack for nearly all of Adams tenure here and as such we don't get contained in our own half as much as other teams. If we did struggle to make ground I can guarantee that Reyno would have kicked a lot more 40/20s as he is definitely capable of doing so. I'm also not so sure that if we had Cronk we would have won another premiership. We may well have, but there are too many other factors that come into play to say that would be a given.

Latest posts