What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Reynolds

Pantherjim.

Referee
FTR I haven’t “baged Reynolds out” Souths are nuts for letting him go and kudos to Brisbane for signing him.

I just don’t think he’s as good a half as Nathan, which is what you were insinuating in your OP.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Why you gotta disrespect the great A.Sims like that?
u absolute betch
giphy.gif

blaza88z

Coach
Will turn out to be the Broncos best ever signing imo

It's not a hot field, we've paid some big dollars for some big duds over the years.

Barba, Jack Bird, Milford (post 2015). Probably a few others too but those are the ones that hurt us the most.

blaza88z

Coach
Reynolds and Capewell joining what is already shaping to be a decent side will have Brisbane competing for 5-8th next season. The Top 4 is still clearly out of reach with some of these other teams in the fray, but a finals berth is absolutely where we expect to be next season.

Maybe you will show up after a game every once in a while then?

yobbo84

First Grade
Souths didn't let him go. We offered him one year, he wanted more. I would have offered him longer but paying overs for aging players has burnt us in the past so I understand the club's point of view there. Good luck to him. He goes with every Souths fan supporting him. Hopefully his departure spurs us to a premiership.

As far as the Broncos go, they need to understand that Reyno is icing. He is solid and consistent - the gap between his best and worst is very small. He ices the end of sets, creates space for his backs and kicks consistently well under pressure. However, if you don't have a 6 or 1 to take advantage of what he does, you won't see the benefit that Souths have. Tyson Gamble is not that guy. Nor is Katoni Staggs (from a ball-playing point of view). Souths have gone well with a fast creative 6 outside him (Keary, Walker). If they don't find that they won't get the vast improvement they're hoping for.

big hit!

Bench
Souths didn't let him go. We offered him one year, he wanted more. I would have offered him longer but paying overs for aging players has burnt us in the past so I understand the club's point of view there. Good luck to him. He goes with every Souths fan supporting him. Hopefully his departure spurs us to a premiership.

As far as the Broncos go, they need to understand that Reyno is icing. He is solid and consistent - the gap between his best and worst is very small. He ices the end of sets, creates space for his backs and kicks consistently well under pressure. However, if you don't have a 6 or 1 to take advantage of what he does, you won't see the benefit that Souths have. Tyson Gamble is not that guy. Nor is Katoni Staggs (from a ball-playing point of view). Souths have gone well with a fast creative 6 outside him (Keary, Walker). If they don't find that they won't get the vast improvement they're hoping for.

Correct on both points.

If Broncos expect Reynolds to suddenly become the ball-playing magician that they haven't had since Milford 2015, then they're sorely mistaken. Reynolds has had a top tier 5/8 beside him for most of his career.

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is a game of semantics. We did let him go. A one year deal for an elite player is not serious. And the argument that he could be comparable to Burgess or Inglis is absurd. Explosive power doesn't age well into your 30s. Sam's dynamic strength game and Inglis' agility and speed at his size were never likely to last in their veteran phase.

Reynolds is more like Cam Smith or Cooper Cronk. He has never been and never will be the fastest or strongest bloke on the field. That provides some limitations but it is also why that style is far more likely to perform at 33 and 34 and 35. It is ridiculous that the club let the experiences with Burgess and Inglis cloud their judgment for a player who could not be more different.

yobbo84

First Grade
This is a game of semantics. We did let him go. A one year deal for an elite player is not serious. And the argument that he could be comparable to Burgess or Inglis is absurd. Explosive power doesn't age well into your 30s. Sam's dynamic strength game and Inglis' agility and speed at his size were never likely to last in their veteran phase.

Reynolds is more like Cam Smith or Cooper Cronk. He has never been and never will be the fastest or strongest bloke on the field. That provides some limitations but it is also why that style is far more likely to perform at 33 and 34 and 35. It is ridiculous that the club let the experiences with Burgess and Inglis cloud their judgment for a player who could not be more different.
I said I would've kept him longer. But the club obviously felt that a long contract would've run the risk of losing the next generation, so be it. They have their nose to the grindstone, we don't. The last thing you want is bloated contracts for aging stars or you end up like the Dragons (sorry). Our spine save for Latrell are all the same age and the last thing we want is to be all like the Aussie cricket team and lose them all at once. Personally I would've moved on Cook first, but so be it.

Chippy73

Bench
If I was a Souths supporter I would be absolutely furious at management letting Reynolds go;

* Top tier game controller
* Highly experienced, guided the team to it's first premiership in 43 years.
* Kicks goals like El-Masri
* Decent No7s at a premium in todays NRL, basically rare as shit.
* Biggest of all IMO...he's a ONE CLUB LOCAL JUNIOR.

Not giving him the 2 years he wanted when he is still excelling at the top level is disgusting, if Manly did that to say Menzies in 2005 or Toovey in 1997 I would have handed in my membership.

blaza88z

Coach
I don't think Souths truly understand what they've lost, as a fan of a club who would've given anything to have someone like Reynolds next to Milford.. I can really appreciate what Reynolds will bring.

Milford and Cody Walker are like for like and bringing in some young kid to partner either of them in the halves, I can't see how that's going to get them very far next season.

Put it this way, if Wayne wasn't leaving Souths then I don't think there is any chance he lets Reynolds go. They are too hard to replace and it takes a long time for them to develop.

yobbo84

First Grade
We were a top 4 side and have lost top talent like Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, John Sutton, George Burgess, Luke Keary, Angus Crichton, Issac Luke, etc - and have remained a top 4 side.

We have lost plenty of other first graders now at other clubs like Adam Doueihi, Cam McInnes, Api Koroisau, Corey Allan, Nathan Brown, Hymel Hunt, Jack Gosiewski, Sifa Talakai, Tyrell Fuimaono, Mawene Hiroti, Connor Tracey, Tom Amone, Bailey Sironen, etc.

We have brought through from our juniors guys like Cameron Murray, Keaon Koloamatangi, Campbell Graham, Alex Johnston. Guys no-one but Souths fans have heard of.

We have made astute lower-grade signings like Damien Cook, Cody Walker, Tevita Tatola, Taane Milne, Hame Sele, etc and seen them improve.

We have picked up some top-tier signings as required like Latrell Mitchell, Jai Arrow or Benji Marshall.

The next generation of Blake Taaffe, Lachlan Ilias, Peter Mamouzelos, Davvy Moale, Jaxson Paulo have all made their NRL debuts and shown plenty.

Reyno is a loss, no doubt. As a half he's of vital importance, and as I said, I would have kept him longer. But the good clubs manage these transitions just fine.

Billythekid

First Grade
We were a top 4 side and have lost top talent like Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, John Sutton, George Burgess, Luke Keary, Angus Crichton, Issac Luke, etc - and have remained a top 4 side.

We have lost plenty of other first graders now at other clubs like Adam Doueihi, Cam McInnes, Api Koroisau, Corey Allan, Nathan Brown, Hymel Hunt, Jack Gosiewski, Sifa Talakai, Tyrell Fuimaono, Mawene Hiroti, Connor Tracey, Tom Amone, Bailey Sironen, etc.

We have brought through from our juniors guys like Cameron Murray, Keaon Koloamatangi, Campbell Graham, Alex Johnston. Guys no-one but Souths fans have heard of.

We have made astute lower-grade signings like Damien Cook, Cody Walker, Tevita Tatola, Taane Milne, Hame Sele, etc and seen them improve.

We have picked up some top-tier signings as required like Latrell Mitchell, Jai Arrow or Benji Marshall.

The next generation of Blake Taaffe, Lachlan Ilias, Peter Mamouzelos, Davvy Moale, Jaxson Paulo have all made their NRL debuts and shown plenty.

Reyno is a loss, no doubt. As a half he's of vital importance, and as I said, I would have kept him longer. But the good clubs manage these transitions just fine.

This is a good post but I just want to point out that you listed Benji Marshall as a top tier signing.

BranVan3000

Coach
If I was a Souths supporter I would be absolutely furious at management letting Reynolds go;

* Top tier game controller
* Highly experienced, guided the team to it's first premiership in 43 years.
* Kicks goals like El-Masri
* Decent No7s at a premium in todays NRL, basically rare as shit.
* Biggest of all IMO...he's a ONE CLUB LOCAL JUNIOR.

Not giving him the 2 years he wanted when he is still excelling at the top level is disgusting, if Manly did that to say Menzies in 2005 or Toovey in 1997 I would have handed in my membership.
I think he did get an offer of two years in the end but by that point he'd gone to market and the offers were too good and for longer with other clubs

I wish he'd retire with us but I understand him taking the big money at this point

In the end its a balancing act. We have some talented young players who won't stick around if Reynolds were to stay on. And it could go completely tits up or set us up for the next five plus years. I think that we managed to get through GI and Sam Burgess retirements is promising for the clubs ability to manage these situations

Munky

Coach
I think he did get an offer of two years in the end but by that point he'd gone to market and the offers were too good and for longer with other clubs

I wish he'd retire with us but I understand him taking the big money at this point

In the end its a balancing act. We have some talented young players who won't stick around if Reynolds were to stay on. And it could go completely tits up or set us up for the next five plus years. I think that we managed to get through GI and Sam Burgess retirements is promising for the clubs ability to manage these situations

Replacing your premiership halfback is hard.

For PENRITH after 07 when Gower left to 2016 when Cleary debuted we went through (from memory).

Joe Williams
Luke Lewis
Wade Graham
Luke Walsh
Jamie Soward
Peter Wallace

Soward and Wallace were pretty good for us (Soward carried us to a prelim in 2014 in our adversity year, but no man can carry Will Smith at five eighth).

It took a decade to get a long term game manager back in our side.

Lockyer retired in 2011 and they've failed so badly at replacing their game manager. they're taking yours.

BranVan3000

Coach
Replacing your premiership halfback is hard.

For PENRITH after 07 when Gower left to 2016 when Cleary debuted we went through (from memory).

Joe Williams
Luke Lewis
Wade Graham
Luke Walsh
Jamie Soward
Peter Wallace

Soward and Wallace were pretty good for us (Soward carried us to a prelim in 2014 in our adversity year, but no man can carry Will Smith at five eighth).

It took a decade to get a long term game manager back in our side.

Lockyer retired in 2011 and they've failed so badly at replacing their game manager. they're taking yours.
Yeah I agree. Can only trust that the management and coaches know what they are doing here

As much as people didn't give Reynolds his due credit for lack of running early on, he came in with remarkable maturity and composure in game management from basically his first game and while he's never been the highlight reel guy, he has probably been the most reliably consistent player for Souths in decades

The young guys look good and Ilias seems in a similar mould but a bit bigger. But it will be a big ask to expect him or Taafe to show that straight away. If we end up with a lean year I won't be shocked

Latest posts