What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Ritson mem-ad memory pill?

yawn

Juniors
Adam ritson was this former footballer that had brain injury from head high tackles I think. He had this company mem-ad memory pills for short term memory. Anyone know if the pills worked or if the company still exists? Played for parramatta I think he got coathanggered by ruben wiki or by quenton pongia who were playing for canberra.

El Diablo

Post Whore
no idea and it was John Lomax

he had a cyst and i'm not sure if it was ever proven that it came from that or any other tackle either

Razor

Coach
Adam ritson was this former footballer that had brain injury from head high tackles I think. He had this company mem-ad memory pills for short term memory. Anyone know if the pills worked or if the company still exists? Played for parramatta I think he got coathanggered by ruben wiki or by quenton pongia who were playing for canberra.

His brain injury wasn't caused by high tackles.

It was caused by complications arising from surgery to remove a brain tumour,

And like El Diablo said, John Lomax was the tackler.

The AMA tried to claim that the tumour was caused by high tackles(which he received a lot, mainly believed to be because he was targeted as he was potentially one of the most gifted players ever to play the game - so tragic he was forced out of the game at 21).

But the AMA were roundly crucified for using his tragic circumstances to try and aid their campaign for helmets, as it's practically impossible to get a tumour from high tackles. The AMAs response "Well, the high tackles wouldn't have helped", which doesn't say much.

Which if you remember the early-90s, the AMA never shut up about how dangerous league is, and how helmets must come in immediately. Every tackle, and every injury, they brought up their campaign.

And since Adam was forced out of the game, and the AMAs antics, we've hardly heard from the AMA on the issue.

The pills still exist. You need a prescription from your doctor. They are only prescribed in very serious circumstances, where the patient has a permanent brain injury.

Utey

Coach
Geez he was good, as a kid I used to love watching him run around for Sharks and Parra for a little while. In a way it was lucky it happened like it did. It allowed them to find the cyst early before even more damage occurred.

parra pete

Referee
I know Adam well. He was on the Road Train with my son, Michael. He's a funny big bloke.
He told Mick the memory tablets worked well...but..... he kept forgetting to take them.
Adam told me the Parramatta Club was fantastic to him during his recovery and helped him considerably during his medical treatment.
He is a lovely bloke..and was set to be an international prop before struck down with his illness.

Ritson had a bit part in the Footy Legends movie as well.

The mem-ad pill is actually available over-the-counter at both pharmacies and health food stores. There's heaps of other similar products available. The main ingredient is an indian herb called Brahmi, which has been clinically proven to help with memory & concentration.

Eels Fanatic

Juniors
Not arguing about the AMA thing but I do believe the ARL and Lomax were held accountable.

1) Adam Ritson came from the shire and just like Lang his front row partner at the time was targeted for many high tackles regardless of which team they played. When Ritson came to Parra (a godsend at the time) he wasn't given any leverage and found himself each and every game copping some head highs (due to the calibre of his go forward). The tackle was not worse or better then any other mug shots he had copped, but pretty much put him out of the game forever (a great loss to the eels and the leauge itself)

This ploy (usually instructed by coaches) was definately common around this time aka Parra V Norths Semi where Jason Taylor almost had his head decapitated (we won that one as a result of Taylor's presence being removed from the field as well as his remaining body parts).

Hence when Lomax targeted his head yet again, Ritson's legal councel took them to task to ensure players in the future would not have to put up with shortened careers because of rough and illegal plays. The so called tuma/brain scan story seems to be something of a new story to me, although I remember him appearing on the late night tele ads sprouting the benefits of memory pills.

Dave Q

Coach
Yeah I used to get sick of seeing him getting whacked in the head.

You'd wait for someone to coathanger him...and they would.

He was a big powerful fellow, some good skills, explosive speed for a giant...a bit of Asotasi in him.

His early exit was a genuine and somewhat saddening loss to the game.