What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide United FC v Kashima Antlers - Asian Champs League Q/F

griffo346

First Grade
Vidmar announces squad for ACL Quarter Finals

Wednesday, 27 August 2008

00018817-image.jpg

Alemao was the foreigner to miss out in The Reds' ACL squad. © AUFC

Adelaide United FC defender Alemao is The Reds’ unlucky foreigner to miss out on selection into the club’s AFC Champions League Quarter Finals squad to face Japan’s Kashima Antlers next month.

All teams in the AFC Champions league Quarter Finals had to submit their squads by Monday night 25 August, Adelaide United Coach Aurelio Vidmar opting to go with Cassio, Cristiano and Diego as his foreign trio. Unfortunately for Vidmar, four foreigners do not fit into three spots, the United boss forced to make the tough decision on who to leave out and Alemao was the one.

Although each club in the Hyundai A-League can have up to four foreigners, teams in the AFC Champions League are only allowed three on their squad list, meaning one of The Reds’ four Brazilians had to make way.
“We made the decision to take Alemao out unfortunately. It was a tough decision but we just thought that with Cassio and Diego, they’ve already been there and know what to expect, and Cristiano has got a fair bit of experience,” Vidmar said.

“We have also got cover if we have to on that side but it wasn’t an easy decision because I would have liked to have all of them in there.”
Vidmar informed Alemao of the decision yesterday, breaking the news to the defender, as one of the toughest things he has had to do since taking on the top job.

“Obviously he’s very disappointed but he copped it on the chin pretty well and I think the pleasing thing from Alemao was that he said that it doesn’t change anything, he‘s still here and he’s going to be committed for all of the other games,” Vidmar said.

“All four of them want to play but unfortunately I can’t have all of them in there so that was the decision we made. You have to play within the rules and that’s the way we decided to go.”

Using fellow Brazilian team mate Diego to translate, Alemao said he would continue to do everything he can for the team and support the squad in its matches against the reigning J-League champions.

“I’m very sad that I’m not going to be able to go but now I will just be like one of the fans, I will be cheering the team on,” Alemao said.
“Nothing is going to change. I’m going to keep working hard and focus on doing my best in the Hyundai A-League.”

The skilful Brazilian right back’s only chance of playing in the AFC Champions League is if one of the other foreigners gets injured more than three days before the game.

Vidmar has also announced that Adelaide United’s first four Youth League signings have been added to the AFC Champions League squad.

The first leg of Adelaide United’s Quarter Final against the Kashima Antlers is on Wednesday 17 September in Japan before the return leg on Wednesday 24 September at Hindmarsh Stadium, The Reds preparing to make history as the first Australian club to compete in the Knockout Stage of the prestigious Asian club competition.

Tickets for the home leg on September 24 are available now through Venue*Tix by calling (08) 8225 8888 or visiting www.venuetix.com.au.

Adelaide United FC – AFC Champions League Knockout Stage Squad
Paul Agostino, Joel Allwright*, Fabian Barbiero, Mark Birighitti, Cassio, Robert Cornthwaite, Angelo Costanzo, Cristiano, Diego, Travis Dodd, Eugene Galekovic, Scott Jamieson, Michael Marrone*, Daniel Mullen, Matthew Mullen*, Sasa Ognenovski, Lucas Pantelis, Paul Reid, Jonas Salley, Kristian Sarkies, Jason Spagnuolo, Alex Sunasky*, Michael Valkanis, Robert Younis
* denotes AUFC Youth League Player

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/default.aspx?s=aufc_news_item&id=23369

griffo346

First Grade
u actually giving us a chance of scoring a goal fishy :lol:

I will be happy to come away with a draw

griffo346

First Grade
:crazy:

i didn't think Adelaide would be in with a good show

currently 1-1 87 mins gone

by the sounds of it Kashima have had a host of shots on goal Adelaide unlucky with the own goal and sounded like Travis Dodd's goal was good

Dragooner

Bench
Very unlucky own goal, a slight lapse in concentration and it cost them a miracle result.

Galekovic had magnet hands the whole game, he played great, and Dodd is just inspirational.

Reid should have won it for them but, I don't think he knows about his left foot, even if he was trying to chip him a leftie shot would have payed off way more.

Hindmarsh will be packed...come on Adelaide!

griffo346

First Grade
Very unlucky own goal, a slight lapse in concentration and it cost them a miracle result.

Galekovic had magnet hands the whole game, he played great, and Dodd is just inspirational.

Reid should have won it for them but, I don't think he knows about his left foot, even if he was trying to chip him a leftie shot would have payed off way more.

Hindmarsh will be packed...come on Adelaide!

Mate i will deffo be there it be a big night cmon u redssssssssss

Misanthrope

Staff member
Tremendous work from Adelaide. I didn't think they had it in them, but they're proving us all wrong. Tremendous crowd for a Wednesday night match against a relatively unknown Japanese side, too.

They play the Uzbekistan side now.

fish eel

Immortal
Outstanding result.

They played some fantastic football in the first half, against quality opposition.

dogz08

First Grade
What happens if adelaide wins the champions league? do they get an automatic spot in next year's one? do they play the european champions league winner?

weasel

First Grade
The winner of the ACL no longer gets automatic qualification for the next tournament, I s'pose it would come down to a decision by the national FA whether that team should take one of the spots assigned for league placings, as is the case in Europe now. If they win the tournament they will play (most likely) the J-League champion for the right to meet Manchester United. If they make the final and lose then they will play Waitakere United (Oceania Champion) and then, after no doubt defeating them, find themselves in a re-match of the ACL final against whichever Japanese side would have won it.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The winner of the ACL no longer gets automatic qualification for the next tournament, I s'pose it would come down to a decision by the national FA whether that team should take one of the spots assigned for league placings, as is the case in Europe now. If they win the tournament they will play (most likely) the J-League champion for the right to meet Manchester United. If they make the final and lose then they will play Waitakere United (Oceania Champion) and then, after no doubt defeating them, find themselves in a re-match of the ACL final against whichever Japanese side would have won it.

Does this mean Adelaide might be coming to play a game in Henderson?

Latest posts