What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adrian Purtell

Mal Meninga

Bench
What are everyones thoughts on him?

All he does is rack up 100m a game, tackles hard, never drops the pill and supports the ball carrier. Pace isn't the only element of being a winger in the NRL, and Purts is a firm fixture for the next decade.

Vicious

Bench
I`ve noticed quite a few of you Raiders fans bag the crap out of him, but he continually produces strong, safe performances. Not afraid to go up for a high ball unlike Colin Best. Is he really that slow ??? Doesn`t appear so from what i`ve seen of him ???

jed

First Grade
Last year Purtell was guaranteed a spot in 1st grade, despite providing almost no benefit for the side other than being a "safe" player. He's improved out of sight over the off-season, and has clearly benefited from Henry's coaching.

I'm warming to him, I'm eager to see what he's got through the rest of the season, and whether he keeps on improving.

edabomb

First Grade
I think he improved heaps at the back end of 2006 too.

I don't see any problem with having him there if he is surrounded by more attacking players. He does a lot of good work bringing the ball off our line and has some of the best handling in the comp.

Raider_69

Post Whore
He is improving as a player so im happy to stick with him for the moment. Obviously had a big off season, still a little slow for my liking, but miles ahead of howell

Mal Meninga

Bench
jed said:
Last year Purtell was guaranteed a spot in 1st grade
He was dropped midway through the season. Came back and rapidly improved the last few rounds and was best on ground for us vs Dogs in the finals. This season with his first off-season as a first grader(Remember he was outside the top 25 last season), he looks to be an even better player.

If anyone complains about Purts not scoring tries, take a closer look and you'll realise he recieves zero ball once we're attacking inside the 20. His strike rate would be no worse than Howells.

peter_raiders

Juniors
Purtell is younger than Howell and has alot more room for improvement, after just one season in first grade. Howell is into his 4th year(?) in first grade now and has shown bugger all. Despit this, he will be back in the lineup when Henry announces it today.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, I used to bag the crap out of him but he seems to be improving each week.

Quite safe, but still not an attacking weapon - not the sort of matchwinner that most top sides seem to have on the wing.

julian87

Juniors
Last night twisted my arm. I think Purtell brings a great deal to the team. Very safe, strong, tall and seems to have worked on his speed. Always seems to take the good option. He is also a very skillfull player, as he has played five-eighth in reggies before and played v well from all reports.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
3 games no tries. I doubt the ratio will improve. Just wish Milne and others had been given the same opportunity as this bloke. Quite happy for him to be called up when injuries hit but as a starting winger no thanks.

dubby

Bench
I am warming to Turtell. He doesnt do anything wrong, but he isnt a matchwinner either.
I think the guys he plays with must really love him, his attitude and heart must be more than we realise, as the team seem to love him.

I'd rather Turtell than Howell or Best; they both have mammoth size brain farts and do stupid things. Best cost us 2 tries last nite!

Chachi

Bench
julian87 said:
Last night twisted my arm. I think Purtell brings a great deal to the team. Very safe, strong, tall and seems to have worked on his speed. Always seems to take the good option. He is also a very skillfull player, as he has played five-eighth in reggies before and played v well from all reports.
He slotted in at 5/8 against the Souths PL team after we had already smashed them up front for the first 40 mins. Yes he played quite well, but our whole PL team was on fire that day and I reckon I'd be looking good at 5/8 in the same scenario too.

The thing is he'll continue to sneak in under the radar and be a solid contributor if Carney, Zillman, Graham and Best play well.

I guess if Chris Kinna can play in a Grand Final for us then the Turtell can.

Macko8

Juniors
Purtell is safe yes,but thats about all his been for the past 2 seasons in FG.
His not extremely fast but does make good metres on the kick returns.
Its only the end of round 3,expect him to improve as the season goes on.

We'll see the best from purtell at probably the back-end of 2007 IMO,but i do rate Howell as a more skilled player if you like.

i seem to remember you all bagging out robbo when he was playin for raiders, but with time and a new coach look at him now playin in probly one of the best backlines in the comp.

dubby

Bench
raiderette_robbo said:
i seem to remember you all bagging out robbo when he was playin for raiders, but with time and a new coach look at him now playin in probly one of the best backlines in the comp.

Yeah look at him. Still mediocre. :p

I'd rather Turtell than Robbo anyday. Hell, I'd rather have Howell on the wing than Robbo!

Mal Meninga

Bench
peter_raiders said:
Purtell is younger than Howell and has alot more room for improvement, after just one season in first grade. Howell is into his 4th year(?) in first grade now and has shown bugger all. Despit this, he will be back in the lineup when Henry announces it today.
Good point - It escapes alot of people when they are compared. However this is not about Howell and his brain farts, it's about Purts our best winger in years and people still bag him out constantly. Put him in as a bolter for Country!

Latest posts