What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL, Aerial Pingpong and Cross-country netball

Aegil

Juniors
I grew up in QLD, and now live in NSW. In between these two states, I lived in WA for about 18 months. During this time, I was introduced to AFL. Now I love it.

I'm not sure I can describe why I have fallen in love with the game, but it must have something to do with speed of the game, the flair, the skills from the stars of the sport, the excitement of marks, monster goals from outside 50, the rivalries, the tackles from every direction... and then the atmosphere and passion by the supporters. It is awesome. I love the history and customs such as running through the banners, and the victory songs. I was in Melbourne for some work training during September last year, and the buzz in the city... you couldn't help but get into it.

But, now living in a RL dominated state again, when I let people know my appreciation for the "other" code, I often get the following comments.

"GAY F L"
"Aerial Ping-pong"
"Cross-country netball"

I'm not really comprehending all this hostility? What is it that the great unwashed in NSW/QLD hate about this game? When I was in WA, or when I visit Melbourne, people as a whole really don't give two tosses about RL. Most people hardly even know the game exists.

Over here in NSW, and when I visit QLD, people literally can't wait to put in the lastest insult they have thought up about Aussie Rules. People just HATE it.

I invited some mates over to watch a game (finals game - my team was playing) and two mates said they refused to even watch it. It was like they were cheating on RL or something by watching it. The others that came really enjoyed it (Lions vs Blue last year... GO LIONS).

I'm not a big League fan. Although I grew up with the game, I only watch the occasional game (when Bronco's are going well), but honestly find the game pretty boring in comparison. Fair nuff though right? I can understand that other people just don't care for Australian Rules (although I bet most that don't haven't even given it a go).

I don't visit this forum often. Surely though, the AFL hating bogans I know in person that bag out another sport with such enthusiasm haven't got the brains to use a computer. It seems I am wrong... I am often shocked at how much hate people have for AFL on this site.

99% of the time, the hate comes without specific reason given. Sometimes it is claimed that the game is "unskilled" or even just "gay". I don't think the game being "gay" has anything to do with anything. (Only big bulky blokes with no necks are straight?) And I'm not sure what makes it require less skill than Rugby. It certainly seems to require more skill. I joined a small Aussie Rules team when in rural WA. I certainly don't think it requires no skill. (I didn't last the preseason).

RL just looks likes you need to be big, lack a neck, and run into people. I honestly can't see much skill at all in this.

Anyways. That's my rant for the day. If someone on here could maybe shed some light on way there is so much hate for this exciting game, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

KING1319

Juniors
Some people are just scared or have no interest in anything new or different, Personally, I like all football codes but never bring up the wrong code to the wrong audience.I follow the nfl, nrl, afl, english premier league and super 14 with no particular preference but for the same reason as you mentioned never bring up either issue with "the wrong crowd"

Fein

First Grade
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to walk into a club or pub on a Sunday afternoon and spot a cluster of Victorians on holidays gathered around the smallest screen in the house watching a AFL game.

A quick chat to the manager asking for the greatest game of all to be put on that screen and the request generally adhered to immediately or at worst, a reminder of which state we live in, is all it takes to warm the cockles of my heart.

The look on the 'tards faces is always priceless, like someone has stolen their last $5.

hellteam

First Grade
I've given AFL a go, I've been to a few games (my mate has Cricketers Club tickets at the Gabba), and I honestly just don't find it interesting.

I was down in Adelaide at the relatives house last year (maybe year before), and I was bored on a Saturday night so I went to see Port Adelaide vs Brisbane (who is who I go for, I guess, being from Brisbane). The Lions came back from 50 points down and I just didn't care at all. Found it so boring, it just seemed like whoever won the bounce off thing at the start got a goal, then they just did it all over again.

I've lived in Brisbane my whole life, and I honestly don't know one person who truly likes AFL. I don't know who does up here, I guess they got a few bandwagon supporters when they won 4 in a row or whatever.

It's not gonna be that easy to get supporters for the Gold Coast and West Sydney. They are not going to be competitive if their highest paid players are rugby league players. People aren't going to watch unsuccessful teams. They could have bought the best players in the comp with that money and put together a really good team, but hey, they didn't, and it won't pay off. The novelty of seeing them play will last about 3 weeks - just like it did with Lote and Sailor in union - and then all they are left with is a team at the bottom of the ladder.

hellteam

First Grade
I also would like to say that I too, follow all sports. Everything except AFL. I'll sit there on a Saturday and watch NRL, Super 14, Premier League, NFL, NBA, even Formula 1 if it's on but I can't sit through an AFL game.

I'm with you. I'm actually a fairly new recruit to the AFL fold, but I agree with everything you said. I've been a league supporter since growing up in the early to mid 90s and actually used to be one of "those" guys who would badmouth the AFL given the chance. My brother's been an AFL fan for some time and urged me to give it a go and I've come away with a whole new sport to enjoy and support.

jargan83

Coach
I am from NSW and have been living here in WA for over 10 years. I watch alot of sport RL, RU, Football (Soccer to most), NBA, Gridiron, I even watch the Paintball when it was on One HD.

AFL however is tolerated and that is about it, I will not go out of my way to watch a game though. Have been to a few games because I had nothing better to do and didnt really get into it. Easy game with no real skill to play

_snafu_

Immortal
If you call a bunch of blokes on all fours scrambling for a ball like it's covered in soap "skilled", then good luck to you.

bulldog

Bench
I don't go around in my spare time and bad mouth RL, spouting insults at fingers in the bum, and raping woman, and calling it "thugby". I don't know any AFL supporter doing this.

Yes you do, you just did it then.

Plus visit bigfooty to see all that and then some.

On the topic, seen it live and on TV and I didn't enjoy it at all, it is all too messy and unco for my tastes.

perverse

Referee
me and my mates occasionally switch to an AFL match every now and then in 5 minute bursts if we're sitting around watching TV with a few drinks just so we can laugh at it.

honestly, i just can't take it seriously. you watch the ball go to ground and they flail around like spastics. big marks are pretty cool... but our boys do it too. goals are f**king boring... i don't care where they kick them from, it's just not that impressive. not compared to some of the amazing tries we get every single weekend in rugby league. tackling kinda looks like they train with schoolgirls, using schoolgirl rules. the whole game just seems like some sort of obscure joke that victoria is pulling on the rest of australia. oh well, they have me laughing i guess.

i harbour no genuine hate or ill-feeling towards the sport itself. i'm not one of those posters that runs around spewing hatespeach about the AFL or anything of that nature... i just can't take it seriously. once the novelty of having a few giggles at it wears off, it just bores me to tears.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Also, what is it with players and missing?

I could go down the park and kick 4/5 from 35 metres out - and I've never played AFL before - how come these 'professionals' constantly miss from even easier positions then that?

eagles4eva

First Grade
Any chance that I had of ever watching AFL is totally out the door, the signing of Folau isnt about him playing the sport, its more a PR stunt... Bad enough when an elite NRL players switch to RU..

Folau may not even play the sport at the top level, that's what angers me, such a talented NRL player who may not cut it at thier elite level.

And most NRL people I know, feel the same... It's has from my opinion created more angst against AFL..

chrisD

Coach
If people in other states seemingly care less for RL than people in NSW and QLD care for AFL it probably has something to do with having AFL shoved down our throats. No-one gives a f**k, seriously, unless Barry Hall is decking someone (that was cool), get your marathon games off the TV on my weekends, news and variety shows.

funk

Juniors
me and my mates occasionally switch to an AFL match every now and then in 5 minute bursts if we're sitting around watching TV with a few drinks just so we can laugh at it.

i wish i could come up with a decent "Victorian" reply to that, but by the time NRL comes on TV down here ive gone to bed... sorry

Fein

First Grade
i wish i could come up with a decent "Victorian" reply to that, but by the time NRL comes on TV down here ive gone to bed... sorry

Well it's your first ever post and you couldn't.

Stupid Victorian.

CyberKev

Staff member
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to walk into a club or pub on a Sunday afternoon and spot a cluster of Victorians on holidays gathered around the smallest screen in the house watching a AFL game.

My sympathies to you on your painfully limited life...

And intellect.

I generally find the fear, insecurity, anguish and utter panic being displayed by many RL tragics a tad unnecessary and bizarre.

From the likes of you its enjoyable to behold though.

Carry on.

Fein

First Grade
My sympathies to you on your painfully limited life...

And intellect.

I generally find the fear, insecurity, anguish and utter panic being displayed by many RL tragics a tad unnecessary and bizarre.

From the likes of you its enjoyable to behold though.

Carry on.

Your sympathy is not necessary and your profiling is atrocious.

This is called "returning the Victorian serve".

Oh, and I will.

mattyVOK

Bench
Any chance that I had of ever watching AFL is totally out the door, the signing of Folau isnt about him playing the sport, its more a PR stunt... Bad enough when an elite NRL players switch to RU..

Folau may not even play the sport at the top level, that's what angers me, such a talented NRL player who may not cut it at thier elite level.

And most NRL people I know, feel the same... It's has from my opinion created more angst against AFL..

Agree with everything you said. Do you not think that there is a bigger issue though. Rugby league has the product to be in a position to keep these players and for some reason we can't. Yes the AFL is engaging in a PR stunt but at the end of the day they got their man and to me it shows changes in rugby league need to be made.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Agree with everything you said. Do you not think that there is a bigger issue though. Rugby league has the product to be in a position to keep these players and for some reason we can't. Yes the AFL is engaging in a PR stunt but at the end of the day they got their man and to me it shows changes in rugby league need to be made.

Yes changes do need to be made, but at what cost, How many elite AFL players get the coin that folau will be getting?

I don't blame the kid for taking the money..

I still think the new tv deal will help, but again the cap has to remain, i keep hearing stories at how much GC and GWS are offering player in the AFL without a heap of experience.

At what point will it stop, have they made a rod for their own back in the long run? (player expecting this money all the time)

My cousin is a massive Crows fan, they apparently have resourced, trained and supported all these young players, she said last night that up to 6 of them may be signing with GS. To this she said, the Crows will be screwed, looks like AFL expansion is hurting their own sport..