What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Finals Week 1

CyberKev

Staff member
Well, my team might be in mothballs for September, but I'm looking forward to some hot contests during the finals series regardless...

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 5 AWST

Fremantle vs Essendon
Subiaco Oval 6:40 PM AWST

Good luck to Freo in its first ever final, and wouldn't it be good to see the side mark the occasion with a win. This team will surely have triumphs to look forward to in future, but I doubt that this will end in anything other than tears for the westerners. The Bombers experienced hard heads are gearing-up for one last hurrah in this finals series and could get all the way to the Preliminary Final if the cards fall their way. The key players for Essendon are all too familiar with the finals cauldron, while the younger Docker stars are likely to be found wanting first time up. Essendon's recent away (outside Victoria) is little short of abysmal, and Freo has been sensational at home over the past two seasons, so the cause is certainly not hopeless for them. Chris Connolly knows Essendon's past history all too well and has been gearing his charges for a full-on Bomber attempt to physically intimidate the Dockers. He knows that his side must outpace the Bombers and win the air battle to win the game, but there's little doubt that finals games are more physical and willing (generally) than home and away fare. It wouldn't surprise me if Freo were to win most of the one-on-one contests, but I can't see them keeping Lloyd, Hird & J.Johnson subdued enough to get over the line. It'll be great to watch Pavlich, Polak, McPharlin & co strutting on the big stage though, in spite of the result... Bombers by 32 pts

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 6 ACST

Adelaide vs West Coast Eagles
AAMI Stadium 2:30 PM ACST

The Eagles looked promising early in the season, but have been found wanting during the latter stages. No surprise here, as while the Eagles are a talented side, they have a disturbing reliance on uncontested ball and desperately light-on for key position talent. Essentially, Worsfold's boys have Stumbled into the finals on the back of an enormous home ground advantage, which has been synonymous of all Eagle September jaunts since 1994. Adelaide looked good last week, despite losing the Adelaide derby to Port and should prove far too good for the Eagles here. I was impressed by the Crows in spite of their loss and I still believe that they could take the flag if they could hit top form and sustain it over the next few weeks. The team has a very sound structure and also contains plenty of big game experience, which is a heady mix at this time of the year. Adelaide does get lazy in the midfield though and, for all of its talent in the centre, will not want to countenance giving easy ball to their Eagle counterparts. The Eagles (more than any other side) thrive on, running, soft ball footy and can carve you up if you give them plenty of possession and a free reign down the flanks. By way of contrast, a concerted effort early by the Crow midfield dynamos, with adequate finishing from the capable forwards they have could kill the contest well and truly before half time. I think the latter option is far more likely. ... Crows by 58 pts

Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions
MCG 7:30 PM AEST

This is sure to be the toughest and tightest contest of the weekend. Brisbane is the better of the two sides, all things being equal, but the Lions have enough players on the wounded list to tip the scales toward the home side. Collingwood has enjoyed an awesome run this season, easily the most charmed of any side in the comp. Good luck to 'em, as the game will give you more than enough kicks in the guts... You have to welcome the good fortune and exploit it to the fullest. I suspect that the Magpies will do that here and book themselves direct passage to the Preliminary Final for a second straight year. Brisbane will be working overtime in the lead-up to the game to ensure that they have a plan in place for Tarrant & Rocca, as history shows that if you hold these two players you beat Collingwood, end of story. I'll watch both sides with great interest, given that Collingwood will know that if it can't beat Brisbane here it never will, and Brisbane will be eager to affirm its reputation as a big game side. Don't expect a lot of ingenuity from either side in the game plan, as both sides are acutely aware of what they need to do to win. Brisbane will look to break down Collingwood with weight of quality ball, quick forward line delivery, and hard running burst football; while Collingwood only knows one way in big games -- spoil, harrass andgenerally make the game as untidy as possible to stifle the skilled Lions out of it. Its hard to believe I'm tipping against the Lions here and you can almost guarantee huge games to Voss, Lynch, Black & co in response. I can just feel in the pit of my gut that Collingwood is ripe for this one... Magpies by 15 pts

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 7 ACST

Port Adelaide vs Sydney Swans
AAMI Stadium 2:30 PM ACST

Port has enjoyed another fine season, but the doubters are out in force again, and the air is rife with choke taunts. I expect the doubters to be put swiftly back into their boxes here though, as the Power should win this one quite easily. The Swans have had a fine year, but lack the scope to go up a gear, as is required in a contest like this. The loss of O'Loughlin couldn't come at a worse time, with Sydney needing all attacking weapons on deck to compensate for the fragility inherent in their defence. Port have a great and very even spread of quality across the park and will be pumped to the max to dispel the choke stigma. Both Hawthorn & Collingwood upset Port at home in the past two finals series by cramming them, playing tight, and tackling hard. Sydney will need to borrow the Collingwood play manual here, with ugly football required if an upset is to be achieved. The Swans have the tackling capability, but Port's superior leg speed and skill level may make it difficult for the red & whites to get close enough, often enough to hurt the Power. A few goals early by Sydney will be a psychological blow, but Sydney has shown a marked tendency for slow boiling early in contests throughout the year. If they stand Port up a start here, the home side's confidence will soar and they'll slip neatly into their high skill running game, which will tear the Swans to pieces. The worrying thing for Sydney is that even tough football may not be enough, as Port has improved markedly in this area during 2003. I doubt that Mark 'Choco' Williams will need to employ the Heimlich manouvre on his charges this time around... Power by 54 pts

Finals football it ain't, but congratulations go out to Hawthorn's Sammy Mitchell who today cleaned-up the Norwich Rising Star award. A fantastic effort for a teenager dismissed by all and sundry as too fat, slow and unskilled to make the grade, less than three short years ago. In an era where clubs have developed something of an unhealthy fixation with athletic prowess, its refreshing to see a good old fashioned, hard at it, no-frills footballer kicking arse!

CyberKev

Freo vs Bombers

Never underestimate the strange forces at work in Perth Airport. On pure form, an easy win to the Bombers. In practice, I think it will be much closer. Nevertheless, Bombers to win by 16 points.

Crows vs Eagles

See game 1, except the Crows would have this one on form anyway. With the Airport effect, a very comfortable win to the Crows - I think CyberKev has the margin about right at 58 points.

Pies vs Lions

As close as a 2 v 3 game should be. Lions have had a few wobbles in the last few rounds, albeit injury-induced. Pies, meanwhile, have looked stronger in the last few rounds than ever. I tip Eddie to be celebrating on Saturday, once he's got his breath back from a close one. Pies to win by 12 but only with a strong last quarter.

Port vs Swans

They've been writing the Swans off all season, and they just keep coming. On paper, should have no chance of beating Port, but then they said the same when we went to Brisbane. O'Loughlin will be sorely missed, Barry Hall will need to be on peak form. In the Swans favour is that they can get scores from throughout the team, and also the famous Port choke, But Port seem tougher this year, so the head says go with them by 28. (The heart disagrees, of course).

Bomber

Bench
Well, I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here....

Fremantle to dust up the Bombers - I think last week's game would have done more good than harm for the Dockers, who are fast becoming my second team, the 'Davids' of the comp (as opposed to Goliath). Having said that, I don't think they'll win a final away from sandgropher territory, so there you go. Dockers by 34 points.

Lions to pip the Eddies - No real reason, but can you remember the last time Collingwood beat Brisbane? I suppose it doesn't really matter, it's what happens on the day that counts. The best match-up will probably be Matthews on Malthouse. Lions by 11 points

Adelaide to massacre West Coast - The Eagles will be taking the first exit once again this year. They started well (equal competition leaders at one stage?) but have been disappointing, losing to little brother Freo. Adelaide on the other hand have the same problem but are playing at Footy Park. Crows by 70 points

Port to outlast Sydney - I suppose the pressure is on Port rather than on Sydney, with the Power needing to shake off their tag as finals chokers. I expect them to lead big early, but die in their arse. If this game was five quarters instead of four, Sydney would win, but they'll run out of time. Power by 8 points

That means my week two scenario would be (unless I'm very wrong)
Sydney v Fremantle at Stadium Australia (winner plays Brisbane)
Eddiewood v Adelaide at MCG (winner plays Port)

Tash

Juniors
Well I say
Fremantle will be ready for there 1st ever finals game and beat the Bombers.
Crows and the Eagles,will at the start of the season the eagles were playing great footy if they can get back to that then there in with a shot.
Ill tip Eagles.
Collingwood v Lions,i want to the lions to win but i think Collingwood will get up.
Port vs Swans,I think Port will be to strong for the Swans and get up.But ill be cheering on the Swans to get abig upset :)

Cupid Stunt

Freo vs Bombers - Essendon. But I'll be willing on Freo.

Crows vs Eagles - Adelaide. 50/50 game.

Pies vs Lions - Brisbane. Lesser of 2 evils.

Port vs Swans - Swans. Only because I wanted these 2 to duke it out in the big one. Port if I was to bet.

Dougie

Juniors
Freo dont have a snowflakes chance in hell of beating the bombers - i've got $5 on the mighty bombers to win the flag at $21 for a possible return of $105 (not bad for a $5 investment) :D

CyberKev

Staff member
Dougie said:
Freo dont have a snowflakes chance in hell of beating the bombers - i've got $5 on the mighty bombers to win the flag at $21 for a possible return of $105 (not bad for a $5 investment) :D

You'll be happy enough tonight, but it'll be short lived.

A pretty ordinary quality of football between the Dockers and Bombers, with the latter side having the better of the contest, but being flattered by the win.

The Bombers will be well beaten by either Collingwood or Brisbane next weekend on that form.

CyberKev

Dougie

Juniors
we wont be playing Brisbane or Collingwood next weekend - we'll be playing either Port or Sydney....personally, im barracking for Port, id much rather play the swans in Sydney than Port at AAMI - but i have to dissagree that it'll be short lived...we may not go all the way this year, but just think what the finals experience will do for all of our young guns....we will win a flag within 3 years - mark my words!

CyberKev said:
Dougie said:

You'll be happy enough tonight, but it'll be short lived.

A pretty ordinary quality of football between the Dockers and Bombers, with the latter side having the better of the contest, but being flattered by the win.

The Bombers will be well beaten by either Collingwood or Brisbane next weekend on that form.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
Dougie said:
we wont be playing Brisbane or Collingwood next weekend - we'll be playing either Port or Sydney....personally, im barracking for Port, id much rather play the swans in Sydney than Port at AAMI - but i have to dissagree that it'll be short lived...we may not go all the way this year, but just think what the finals experience will do for all of our young guns....we will win a flag within 3 years - mark my words!
:D

Oops, yes Essendon will be playing either Port or Sydney, and while they couldn't beat Port at home they may trouble Sydney, particularly with the injury woes being experienced by that side.

You may also be right with Essendon winning a flag in 3 years, who knows?

The one big flaw in your thinking though, is the young gun notion. Essendon is well behind most of the clubs with the standard of its younger footballers and has a disturbing over-reliance on its hardened and experienced players. The senior Bombers have driven the late season Essendon resurgence and were driving the side again last night.

These players will either be gone or washed-up in three years and even with a surge in the capability of the youngsters coming into the club, will be hard pressed replacing the talent and output of those players.

CyberKev

Dougie

Juniors
lack of talent?!! What planet have you been on in the past couple of years!! :shock:

Jordan Bannister - 20
Marcus Bullen - 21
Tristan Cartlidge - 17
Damian Cupido - 21
Adam McPhee - 20
Ted Richards - 20
Jason Winderlich - 18
Andrew Welsh - 20
Darren Walsh - 18
Adam Ramanaskus - 22
Joel Reynolds - 19

need i go on....

the future is VERY bright at Essendon :D

Damn!! :(

Hopefully, the Lions can bounce back next weekend against Adelaide. It's now going to have to take something special from them to win a 3rd consecutive premiership.

CyberKev

Staff member
Dougie said:
lack of talent?!! What planet have you been on in the past couple of years!! :shock:

Jordan Bannister - 20
Marcus Bullen - 21
Tristan Cartlidge - 17
Damian Cupido - 21
Adam McPhee - 20
Ted Richards - 20
Jason Winderlich - 18
Andrew Welsh - 20
Darren Walsh - 18
Adam Ramanaskus - 22
Joel Reynolds - 19

need i go on....

the future is VERY bright at Essendon :D

Dougie, Dougie, Dougie...

You can run through almost every club squad in the entire comp and come up with such a list... The Essendon list is smaller and lighter-on than quite a few others.

The difference being that at clubs such as St Kilda, Hawthorn, Geelong, Kangaroos, Freo & West Coast you will find a larger number of youngsters playing key roles in their respective sides.

Essendon's poor showing in recent Norwich Rising Star's shows that they're well behind most of the other clubs with the overall quality of their younger players.

The key names at Essendon at the moment are:

Matthew Lloyd - 25 (going on 26)
James Hird - 30 (going on 31)
Dustin Fletcher - 28 (going on 29)
Sean Wellman - 29
Jason Johnson - 25 (going on 26)
Mark Johnson - 25 (going on 26)
Scott Lucas - soon to be 26

These players control Essendon's immediate and short-term destiny. The precarious nature of the Essendon list shows in the fact that the team would be hard pressed beaqting anyone, anywhere without Hird and Lloyd on the paddock.

Of the Essendon youngsters mentioned...

Cupido - Has great talent, but is suspect to hard stuff and mentally fragile. Could be anything, but needs a lot of work on his fitness and discipline.

Bullen - Probably the best of the pack, but will need to back-up strong next season to show that he can be a long term replacement for Misiti.

Bannister - Is yet to show that he will be anything of note.

Cartledge - One of many project players spread across the clubs. Given the development of ruckmen will need at least 3 years before we can get a sense of whether he'll cut it or not.

McPhee - Solid enough and could be handy, but hardly a superstar in the making.

Ramanauskas - Soon to be 23 and has quality, but may struggle to continue due to shocking health worries.

The rest of the names you've mentioned are yet to firmly establish themselves and prove to be anything more than bit players.

You could also have thrown Hille into the mix, given that he will be only 23 next year. Hille looks much like Steve McKee at Collingwood. Can be solid enough around the ground, but almost invariably gets slaughtered at centre ruck contests.

You also forgot Jobe Watson who will be 19 next season. Has the pedigree and showed a bit at junior level. Time will tell.

Its not enough to have a dozen or so youngsters on your list, as all clubs have that. You've got to have them playing regular games and playing well regularly.

That will be the challenge for the Bombers over the next 3 years and unless they get lucky and pinch it this year (which is highly unlikely) then they will be hard pressed meeting your flag inside 3 years objective.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
Up the mighty Phins said:
Damn!! :(

Hopefully, the Lions can bounce back next weekend against Adelaide. It's now going to have to take something special from them to win a 3rd consecutive premiership.

Its not looking good for ya, Phins Old Son!

Brisbane will struggle to get over the Crows next weekend. The Crows also have a lot of big game players and pulled-up a lot fresher after easily accounting for the Eagles.

Bloody Eagles! Its bad enough having to have your team watch on from the sidelines, without having to endure West Coast softly fritting away yet another finals chance!

Its been the same old story for every Eagles September outing since 1995. They fall into the finals on the strength of a massive home ground advantage, only to fold like an umbrella in the opening week and get themselves smacked-up.

You can get exceedingly short odds on the same thing happening yet again in 2004.

It was a big win for Collingwood though, who played the game smartly and beautifully in accordance with their preconceived match plan. You could just about bet the house on a Port vs Collingwood GF, with Adelaide the only side capable of throwing a spanner in the works.

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Dougie, Dougie, Dougie...

You can run through almost every club squad in the entire comp and come up with such a list... The Essendon list is smaller and lighter-on than quite a few others.

Have you actually ever taken a strol down the Richmond list?!?!

if you did you may want to re-evaluate lumping every club in the group :( :( LOL :)

Dougie

Juniors
I have done volunteer work down at Windy Hill, and let me tell you, we WILL win the flag within at LEAST 3 years...we have a cushy run in this finals series, provided the Swans lose, and I can see us theoretically making the GF :D

The performance of the Bendigo Bombers, going from dead last to challenging for a play off spot in the VFL just goes to show that the future is indeed bright at Windy Hill :)

meltiger

First Grade
Dougie said:
I have done volunteer work down at Windy Hill, and let me tell you, we WILL win the flag within at LEAST 3 years...

LOL!!

The only way Essendon consistently win premierships is by running teams ragged in prelims, losign and ruining their opposition for the GF.

That team Essendon had on the field over the last 5-6 years should have won more than what they have.

Dougie

Juniors
meltiger said:
Dougie said:
I have done volunteer work down at Windy Hill, and let me tell you, we WILL win the flag within at LEAST 3 years...

LOL!!

The only way Essendon consistently win premierships is by running teams ragged in prelims, losign and ruining their opposition for the GF.

That team Essendon had on the field over the last 5-6 years should have won more than what they have.

how can you say that we should have won more than we have, at various times over the past 6 years, we have been ravaged by injuries, and beaten by better sides on the day...oh well, at least we can content ourselves by being better than Richmond nearly every year ;-)

It was a shocking weekend, Cyberkev, as my beloved Dolphins also went down in all 3 grades. Oh well, at least they've got one last chance next week for a spot in the grand final.

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread.

The shock of the round came today when the Swans got up against Port. Port are sure living up their 'semi final chokers' tag.

Latest posts