What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL needs another Sydney team, says GWS Giants coach Kevin Sheedy

NrlCoach

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ach-kevin-sheedy/story-fn865146-1226637120320

THE AFL needs a third team in Sydney.

Think it's crazy? The GWS Giants already have 12,000 members in our second season. That's more than Wests Tigers, Cronulla, Manly and Penrith in the NRL. Look at what we have already achieved in western Sydney and tell me the AFL couldn't support a third team here. We have a first-class venue in Skoda Stadium in the Sydney Olympic Park precinct. It's a 25,000-seat stadium that we reckon we can fill on a regular basis within five years.

We have an elite training facility with the Tom Wills Oval being opened this week. We have a great facility in StarTrack Oval in Canberra.
This didn't exist four years ago. The AFL should be planning now to have a team in southern Sydney, representing the Shire down to the South Coast.
They need to be just as brave as they were with the Giants, when they made a $200 million investment in western Sydney.

Still, the AFL was 15 years late in starting the Giants in western Sydney. We can't make that mistake again. We're building the foundations of the Giants now. They are strong foundations that will allow the club to be on its feet and firing in five to 10 years. We've got to make up for lost time. The AFL needs to be thinking now about planning for another Sydney-based team in the next 15 years. Yes, it should be that soon.

If you really want to get AFL in a much stronger position, you really should have a team in the north, west, east and south of Sydney. Sydney's population is expected to be pushing six million in 2030. Three teams means two million people for the three clubs. It means all three have the scope to be among the biggest in the AFL. The potential is limitless. The Giants might be just finding our feet now, but we'll be ready when the third club comes in.The Swans have been here for 31 years and have 33,000 members as well.

The game is bigger than the Swans and it's bigger than us.
We have to be quicker with our development than the Swans were.
There is no plan B to slow down or scale back the ambitious targets we have set. We already have the foundations in place for the Giants to become a big club.

Even Andrew Demetriou thinks we'll one day become as big as the West Coast Eagles are in Perth. Many people in Sydney will be worried and shocked by this. We've just arrived and we intend to make western Sydney proud. Sydney is only going to get bigger and all those people deserve another team that's going to represent them and make them proud, too.

122020-kevin-sheedy.jpg

Someone forgot to take their medicine

mj-laughing.gif

http://troll.me/images/pondering-genius/that-might-just-be-crazy-enough-to-be-potato.jpghttp://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=zrtUa7hWxWLm5M&tbnid=wVJHMtPtAb9VMM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troll.me%2F2011%2F12%2F25%2Fpondering-genius%2Fthat-might-just-be-crazy-enough-to-be-potato%2F&ei=BReJUeaPMYeCkwXE_IAg&bvm=bv.45960087,d.aGc&psig=AFQjCNGxaTwMrbEQyBcwLDr174fDiQZgHg&ust=1368025218412042

eagles4eva

First Grade
The gayawful hierarchy would hope to receive another 1 billion warchest before they even contemplate another team... Seeing as GWS and CC have cost them millions and will contine to do so for years to come..

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
kelvin shonky said:
The AFL should be planning now to have a team in southern Sydney, representing the Shire down to the South Coast.

What name will this one get, Greater Southern Illawarra Manchester Sydney geriatrics? :crazy:

Newcastle, as Australia's 7th largest city, surely deserves a team.

I also like the southern sydney/south coast thing. Could be called "St George Illawarra"

lol

I play indoor cricket at a place in silverwater on Tuesday nights. Last night they were handing out free tickets to a GWS game to anyone who wanted them at the counter. Hardly anyone took them. In fact, most people cracked up when they were approached to take some. It was quite funny.

So yeah. If another side starts down south, be prepared for plenty of free tickets down there.

The thing that pisses me off most is that this bunch of fairies had the golf driving range at Olympic park, closed down so they could build this new training oval. I'm off 18 ATM and I still reckon I've got a greater chance of winning the US masters than they have of winning a flag in the next 20 years. The bastards are ruining my golfing career.

LESStar58

Referee
Gws have more members than those Nrl clubs individually....or those clubs combined?

Shonky reprsenting the AFL propagandha department as always. Anyone got the senile attention Whore meme?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Hes a salesman.

Theyre struggling horribly.

This is a great way to insure they are getting visibility.

Marketing 101. Thats all hes up there for.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree with Shonky, they need at least 9 teams in Sydney. I mean AFL is the greatest sport in this and any other galaxy and if little old NRL has that many teams in Sydney then AFL needs the same. Sydneysiders have never been exposed to this amazing game and once they are they will give up all other sports for AFL.

AFL is the one true religion and Calvin Shoddy is the one true god.

Hail Shoddy!! Hail Shoddy!!

Brutus

Referee
If they do get a 3rd team, they'll probably suck in the weak-as-piss NSW government into building them a stadium in the Shire.

Hey Calvin - what happened to "we only want to co-exist"???

AFL is a merkin of a game and the bulk of those involved are as arrogant as f**k.

gronkathon

First Grade
How many members are fully paid and from Western Sydney. Those are the questions Karmello Shobly won't answer

Latest posts